Portable/ Field Charging

SammieSurrey

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I’ve had a look around the forums and scoured the internet but, I’m struggling to find a solution. I want to buy (or build) a portable LiPo charging system. 

I have a few 11.1 LiPo’s but, especially on woodland days (or if it’s really cold) batteries going flat was always the bane of a good days skirmish. So, rather than relying on the site having a battery queue, I figured with the advancement in portable lithium batteries there would be some sort of portable power pack that could power a balance charger. 

I’ve looked a few options so far. Deep cycle leisure battery with a 12v charger connected to it (not exactly a neat way to go) Mobile jump packs (good short term but, not ideal for long slow charging) and simply charging off the car but, it’s not always practical and I don’t want to sit in the car for hours. 

So, you fabulous hive mind of people, have we got any suggestions, experience or ideas to solve this issue?

• Supporters

more newer 11.1v LiPo's ???

Then you can use the new 11.1v to charge the older/flat 11.1v's

(yes I'm being sarcastic)

Think look to buy 1 or 2 newer LiPo's that should last a little longer

and not the Titans either - yeah you could use 18650's

but really the high end 18650's aren't ultra cheap and still not quite punchy as LiPo's

or a 4 cell mofo to charge a B6 charger might work...

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/rhino-1800mah-4s-50c-lipo-battery-pack-w-xt60.html?queryID=&objectID=80875&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

haven't got friggin' clue how long that thing would power the B6 for though

4 x cells at max 4.2v = 16.8v

until say 3.2v = 12.8v, within range of battery chargers 11~18v input

other than that sorta thing you are going to be looking at more expense the higher the capacity

and then you are transferring the power & losing efficiency in the transfer just to top up a punchy 11.1v

in theory you are going to be lucky topping up one 11.1v with a 14.8v (or 12.6v with 16.8v)

New battery/batteries, get gun(s) running efficiently (less amp draw = less drain)

would perhaps be best option to avoid going through lots of older batteries on high draw guns

LTO battery technology, strap ya guns to your Nissan Leaf

(or Tesla if ya loaded)

then hope you got enough juice to get ya home

What are your batteries - how many are you using or going through

how nutz are you spamming & what is the gun(s) draw in amps

if you are using Higher Speed motors on std gears

than 13:1 on torque motors - your amps will be greater on HS 18:1

than 25k 13:1, yet rof will be similar, though battery will drain quicker on HS motor

As said there isn't going to be anything cheaper or more effective than just buying more larger capacity batteries. All you can do is either buy a larger battery to run a charger or run a converter off your transports battery either way you are just adding unnecessary steps and cost.

I always have worry about running out of fresh batteries and as such accrued way too many, to the point of having to worry one would swell and burn my house down before I noticed. In reality I rarely get through more than two decent 11.1V lipos, even shooting as much as I like.

I’d go for keep it simple

Have extra batteries 

Coming up with alternative charging solutions is complicating matters, and as mentioned is inefficient 

If you were not able to charge enough batteries up front for the period of time required then alternatives could be used - but in this case they are just complications adding to the problem

Get the batteries to suit your needs and charge in advance, if you can’t charge enough batteries in advance then the answer could be an extra charger 

17 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

I’d go for keep it simple

Have extra batteries 

This is my solution, I have 2 batteries for each AEG usually. One is usually enough for me on a game day but a spare is never a bad thing. 

I wouldnt waste your time or energy trying to come up with a solution to build some sort of portable charger when an extra battery in your bag would suffice. Thats my opinion, I know some people like to tinker and your could probably make something up, I just dont see the need personally.

I use a field charge setup when I'm flying quads.

An isdt charger running of a large capacity 6s pack and then use that to charge the smaller packs on a parallel board.

I've done this for all sorts of batteries and it works great.

It's a great charger very efficient with lots of options and setting to charge what you need.

17 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

This is my solution, I have 2 batteries for each AEG usually. One is usually enough for me on a game day but a spare is never a bad thing. 

I wouldnt waste your time or energy trying to come up with a solution to build some sort of portable charger when an extra battery in your bag would suffice. Thats my opinion, I know some people like to tinker and your could probably make something up, I just dont see the need personally.

This.

I can understand the need of a portable charger for 48h games in locations that don't have access to electricity, but for the remaining 99.99% of the occasions a spare battery is enough.

In 12 years of airsofting I have never needed to change batteries mid game other than switching to a backup gun that required its own dedicated ones because of space (AM-013 and its little tiny ass battery compartment). Okay maybe once or twice when the only batteries available were NiMhs and I couldn't afford a LiPo + charger (they were rather expensive back then), nonetheless I always charge 2x the voltage I need (7.4s for my ak and 933 due to the lack of battery space, 11.1 for my wanker guns) + one of the other voltage (so it's either 2x7.4+1x11.1 or 2x11.1+1x7.4) so I'm covered for every situation.

Like everyone else has said, either spare batteries, or if you must have a solution, something like an Imax B6v2 with a large capacity battery (Overlander do a 22,000MaH one). It has an XT60 input, so just have an xt60 connector on your large "supply" battery and you're good to go. 

However, you will be spending £140 or something daft when you could do it a lot cheaper with a couple of spare batteries...

• Supporters

more batteries, more organisation.

changing a battery takes 5 minutes (unless you have a really awkward gun), charging one takes an hour.

how much are you shooting anyway? i've never managed to fully drain a 1100mah battery inside a day without using a support gun.....

When I was flying quads and planes, I used a sealed 'Garden' battery from halfords.

Much cheaper and safer to leave in the car than a large capacity LiPo. It would be fine for your needs.

But I personally prefer just to take a fuck tonne of LiPos and leave the chargers at home:

image.png.43592efd4c1887f63b4587a3b5942547.png

I have to pack enough for 4 people - two batteries each for swapping at Lunch time and a couple spare in case a battery gets damaged or dies unexpectedly.

Two 11.1s and a small petrol genny  sees me over a two day intensive play at n.a.e

Regards 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.