Airsoft Forums UK

WeaponCrates is back(?)

MILITATED
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Personally, I was a frequent user of the site. Complete assbag move to take the site down so abruptly, but they appear to be coming back. Whether it will be for sales or not, I have no idea. If it is, will you go back to using it, or are they just following suit of ZeroIn in the sense that it'll be a ressurected ghost town?

They posted the WC link on their FB page but typical of WC, it is under maintainance.

It was most definitely one of the better sales platforms and I would welcome it back. Let's just hope they fix that God awful messaging system, assuming they are going back to what they were.

Screenshot_20180624-144036.png

It's been "back" for a while as you had to have a password to get into the site. I think @L3wisD got shut down after bringing up Zac in a Facebook group.

I'll go on it, I'll post on it, but I haven't bought from it as everyone seems so sketchy on there all the time

Ive never heard of this before but yeah. soon as I saw that logo I had a feeling i knew who you were talking about (he makes a new company every few months then gives up onto the next thing) what even was weapon crates?

I don’t care where I buy or sell, my only preference is more traffic to AF-UK, but never would I trust any escrow service other than PayPal.

rdb

• Supporters

I’d trust him as much as id trust a catholic priest in an orphanage .😡

26 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

I’d trust him as much as id trust a catholic priest in an orphanage .😡

I went to a Christian primary school and I’m still having nightmares...

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

I went to a Christian primary school and I’m still having nightmares...

In my formative yrs I was raised under the Catholic Church and even back then I just didn’t trust the fuckers ! 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Duff said:

I was raised by nerf herders...

Scruffy looking ones?

9 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Scruffy looking ones?

Only the scruffiest...

• Supporters
20 hours ago, Cleaners inc said:

If so I can’t see it being as popular as many people will have a major lack of trust with the site now

Their Facebook page says:

72,844 people like this
103,933 people follow this

UKAPA estimate 60,000 airsoft players in the UK

But I'm certain that those numbers are legitimate and not easily purchased fake followers.  Particularly the part about more people following than liking.

Sure of it.

• Root Admin

In fairness 90% of that page is shit memes or posts ripped straight from Reddit the day before so he could in theory lots of this content hasn't been seen by many FB users and does pass as original a lot of the time. They're not the only page to do this sucessfully and their engagement isn't 100% awful (sometimes getting 200-300+ reactions on a post). Does seem like engagement is very low for a page with so many followers a lot of the time, however.

I commented on this before though here:

Basically most of Weaponcrates FB likes are from Mexico and Hong Kong. Looks like now Vietnam has joined them too.

I avoid anything that uses Facebook to promote its business. Social tedium at its finest.

• Supporters
41 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Basically most of Weaponcrates FB likes are from Mexico and Hong Kong. Looks like now Vietnam has joined them too.

Appearing in discrete clumps, a round couple of thousand at a time? ;)

• Root Admin

Even back when I was familiar with the way it worked they'd offer services that would trickle in over a defined period of time. I'd say it's smart but frankly that's the baseline minimum for not looking too suspicious.

Problem of course is that it's quite difficult to spot Facebook bots en masse. With Twitter there are a lot of tools out there where you just throw an account name in and it collates all the bots vs. legitimate followers simply through their following habits. Quite easy to spot bot activity on Twitter but lots of Facebook profiles are private and the FB API is reasonably locked down in this regard to the point where no one has really built any effective tool at analysing fake likes (not at least one I could find or have heard of). That's part of the reason why they took so much flak this year (i.e. their reasonably opaque lack of disclosure about advertisement financing and post-boosting bots), but I don't see an easy way to solve it without making everyone's personal shit very public.

If it gives people a platform to sell their wares and they know how to do it with minimal chance of rip offs then great for them, I for one wont be joining, looking, buying or selling from there!!

Not that I buy/sell a lot to be fair lol

• Root Admin

Well exactly. I dare say they'll get a reasonable amount of traffic too.

How they expect to monetise it though I don't know. Adverts are unprofitable as anything these days and if your code isn't properly optimised you'll find your server bills getting expensive really quickly. Perhaps the ability to 'boost' listings? I do hope they have their paperwork in order if they want to do a proper escrow service though. From the looks of a grammar mistake on the front page of their site this is still a one man band.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, proffrink said:

From the looks of a grammar mistake on the front page of their site this is still a one man band.

Sole traders who refer to themselves in the plural are lying to you right from the get-go.  It sets the tone for the entire relationship.  I've noticed it as a pattern employed by scammers fantasy merchants, and it's now a red flag for me.

Archived