Full size rifles and CQB

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I thought a pistol would be handy in CQB.  In practice, I only ever draw it when I have to lean left (my off side) round a corner, or when I enter an area where I might have to shoot either left or right at point blank range and the lower inertia takes a fraction of a second off changing aim.

Really though, it hardly ever gets used.

i usually play with an l85 (sa80) which is obviously bullpup and great for cqb but even with that one i sometimes had trouble with corners until I was playing with a squadie mate and we were at a door together and he saw me struggling and told me to lift the back of the rifle over my shoulder (leaning it sideways) which suddenly made everything so much easier as it effectively halfed the length of the gun.

One of the chaps at my last session was running a full size G3 with solid stock and he seemed to do alright, granted there were areas which were more difficult than others but he still managed.

A lot of it is down to adapting to the situation but there are those which will inevitably be more appropriate for certain situations.

• 3 weeks later...

I've played a bit of CQB with AEG M4s, with TM MWS M4 and with GBB and NGBB pistols.

I don't like the M4s, I prefer pistols. 
I just seem to have more fun. Especially when I have two pistols.
Because either
a) You can send twice as many in the same direction

or
b) You can engage multiple targets / lines of attack

• Head Moderator
28 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

b) You can engage multiple targets / lines of attack

But only if looking in the direction of the gun you are shooting, otherwise it is blind firing to shoot in two directions.

• Supporters

Having just had an absolute blast with my new MP5K in CQB, I'd say it's just about the ideal size.  315fps, super for corners, very quick to get on target, and accurate enough for those ranges.

2 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

But only if looking in the direction of the gun you are shooting, otherwise it is blind firing to shoot in two directions.

Not necessarily. You can use peripheral vision if you're firing both at the same time, which is rare.

However, it's mostly to cover two directions at the same time, with alternate firing.
Either way, it's fun :D

• Supporters

I was accused of blind firing once when I shot a player stood in front of me , CQB game walk around a corner not expecting anyone there (was well away from the main game)and low and behold there’s a red standing in front of me , so naturally I shoot them . Now as I was relatively ‘switched off’ my gun (a full length M16) was down and not shouldered so I single rounded them basically from the hip , they then proceed to flip out and starts screaming about me blid firing on them (they were between 4-6ft away from me) I quite bemusedly reply with “your standing in front of me , how have I ‘blind fired’ you ?” The reply ? “The marshal clearly said In the safety brief that you gun must be shouldered and you must be looking down the sights so you know what’s in front of you ! So you blind fired on me because you weren’t looking down the sights !” :blink:

Now I know I wasn’t strictly following the rules to the letter but seriously ? 

I certainly would have remembered seeing Snow White and her possy in the safezone so i think its safe to say there’s no one standing in front of me with there face at barrel hight that I hadn’t noticed so I’m also safe to assume there’s no danger to other players from firing whilst NOT looking down my sights in this situation? :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

The marshal clearly said In the safety brief that you gun must be shouldered and you must be looking down the sights so you know what’s in front of you ! So you blind fired on me because you weren’t looking down the sights !” :blink:

Simple -- don't have sights on your gun. I don't :D (much to some peoples annoyance) 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Arwen said:

Simple -- don't have sights on your gun. I don't :D (much to some peoples annoyance) 

Sneaky but TOTALLY above board ! I like your thinking young lady ! :lol:

I've never had much of an issue aiming without sights at close range to be honest.  BB's are relatively easy to see. If the first one isn't quite where you want it, just adjust the position :rolleyes: When I've got the gopro on the wasp I know that if I cover what I want to hit with the gopro, generally that's where the bb will land. 

I wont even mention the questions/looks I get about being able to aim and aeg without a stock :ph34r::lol:

• Supporters

At the ranges we shoot at AND the fleeting sightings of the other team players I’d be very surprised if anyone held there hand up and said they aimed with sights more than 25% of the time .

Had a discussion about this very topic a while ago in the lunch break at my regular site and most said nearly all there shots are ‘instinct’ shots as in you just point and shoot , you know where the shots going by the feel of the way your holding your gun . Yes there are occasions where you do get time to aim but I’m convinced most are snap shots we take . 

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Simply put, I don't aim either.

I sold a red dot as I never used it to sight targets and my ironsights are mostly cosmetic :lol:

After a while you get a sense of where you're aiming just from the way you hold your gun.

I mean, we're trying to hit torsos at 45ft not headshots at 500mtr. 

You can just generally point it in the correct direction and let it go.

• Supporters

Counterpoint, I'm a sucker for sights.  The cheap non-magnified reflex sights that I'm using on my AEGs work brilliantly: just bring the gun up with both eyes open and there's the aim point right in your line of sight.  Even at CQB ranges I find it useful to get the first round on target.  Plus, they come in beige. :wub:

• Supporters
3 hours ago, L3wisD said:

Simply put, I don't aim either.

I sold a red dot as I never used it to sight targets and my ironsights are mostly cosmetic :lol:

After a while you get a sense of where you're aiming just from the way you hold your gun.

I mean, we're trying to hit torsos at 45ft not headshots at 500mtr. 

You can just generally point it in the correct direction and let it go.

Form over function , all the way ! If your gun don’t look operator as foooook then what’s the point ! :D

got loads of different sights , as to how many I ACTUALLY use ? Probably only the ones on my snipers ! :lol:

I have always wanted a full size AK with wooden stock, but I am stuck for places to use it.

I will play outside when the opportunity arises but it won't be often enough to justify the purchase of one.

The nearest I could get would be a full size with folding stock, but even those are pretty long even with the stock folded. And, as I say, I do like the full wooden stock.

Archived