Semi Auto Only - what is your opinion?

Josh95
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My VFC now fires at ~32rps. When at CQC sites I set the ASCU so that it is locked to semi. When at woodland sites I set the ASCU to fire on semi and 3 round burst. Although I can fire full auto at a somewhat high RPS, I use it just for the dankest of dank trigger responses.

• Supporters

I'm sorry but that is your own fault by not wearing face protection.

Being a shooting sport, you run the risk of being shot anywhere that's not protected and there's only you to blame for not accounting for this.

This is so true. Its a game where we are firing high speed projectiles at each other so it up to each individual to protect whats necessary. I hate body armour of any kind which is why I use a tac vest that is mainly mesh but I always wear full face because bb herpes on the face is not a good look.

I regularly shoot people in the face not because I want to hurt someone but when I snap shoot I always seem to hit dead centre of the head. This has led to one or two people having a hissy fit but I just shrug and tap my face mask. If you dont like getting shot in the face cover it.

• Supporters

The ROF thing is people just being soft in my opinion. Yes it's unpleasant getting hit lots of times in a short space of time but it's not unsafe at all. The only parts of your body vulnerable to serious long term injury as a result of an airsoft gun are your eyes and your teeth, anywhere else and you're picking up some bruises; boo hoo.

That said, I much prefer playing games which are semi only (or with auto allowed in SHORT bursts), I've found over the years ammo limits only work when you're playing with honest people... We all know that's often not the case!

I regularly run private invite only games at a paintball site in Exeter; no hi caps, only short bursts of auto and don't be a dick are our rules. It works, people can move from one building to the next more often than not, the game stays dynamic because you can't just hose a bunker until the people inside get bored.

The ROF thing is people just being soft in my opinion. Yes it's unpleasant getting hit lots of times in a short space of time but it's not unsafe at all. The only parts of your body vulnerable to serious long term injury as a result of an airsoft gun are your eyes and your teeth, anywhere else and you're picking up some bruises; boo hoo.

You missed fingernails and testicles.

This was suggested recently after our last milsim game where some players were getting carried away and squeezing the trigger for longer than the three seconds maximum, as per our agreed rules.

Most of our more "optional" game rules are decided by the players, who can shape what game they want to play, so we put it to the vote and the players decided to keep full auto by a reasonable majority.

However, we have now made changes to other rules about ammo replenishment and some other small things to dissuade players from lengthy bursts.

Ammo limits or mag limits are equalisers.

Airsoft is supposed to mimic real battle to some extent. In real battle you will be hit with all sorts of fire. Having everyone firing at the same rate is rather unrealistic and does take away from game play me thinks. Learn how to deal with all types of opposition otherwise we might as well all be using the same weapon... and that would be laser tag.

One of the major differences between single shot and not, is that the players themselves become far more important.

I'd counter this and say that full-auto too often means that people learn how to overcome opposition less effectively. How often do we see players try to counter full-auto - with full-auto? Single-shot - i see far more people moving for cover and advancing, bolting for an angle etc.

My site varies the play though based on the games at hand. Some games are free fire, others single shot. It's all done to keep things balanced, and the games fun for both sides - as it should be - realism aside generally. Generally, I have more fun on the single shot ones.

One of the features that distinguishes airsoft from paintball is that fully auto is common on most of the guns (especially for beginners who will use an AEG).

People do take automatic fire to the extreme, and it's not cool when people overkill with it (like Josh95 said, it's not nice when 20 odd BBs hit you when 1 would do), that said, I think the sport would lose a lot of it's ass-kickery if fully auto were to be negated.

In my experience it's never been a big issue but I can understand how it could be at other sites. It's mainly down to marshaling... If people are overkilling massively, it's down to the marshals at the site to have a word.

One of the major differences between single shot and not, is that the players themselves become far more important.

I'd counter this and say that full-auto too often means that people learn how to overcome opposition less effectively. How often do we see players try to counter full-auto - with full-auto? Single-shot - i see far more people moving for cover and advancing, bolting for an angle etc.

My site varies the play though based on the games at hand. Some games are free fire, others single shot. It's all done to keep things balanced, and the games fun for both sides - as it should be - realism aside generally. Generally, I have more fun on the single shot ones.

That was my point. Having varied opposition provides you with the opportunity to become a better airsofter by finding ways to overcome them. Always only being faced with semi auto doesn't as much. Players tend to be forced to flank or learn how to flank when bogged down with full auto fire. It provides another dynamic than if everyone was on semi auto only.

I personally think the Okto games should move to semi only for realism purposes. It could potentially prolong firefights a bit and ultimately its just more realistic to have a lot less BBs flying through the air.

• Supporters

I personally think the Okto games should move to semi only for realism purposes. It could potentially prolong firefights a bit and ultimately its just more realistic to have a lot less BBs flying through the air.

Personally I'd say ammo limits are the way to go. If someone wants to spunk their entire load of ammo in one encounter it'll be a learning experience for them.

Personally I'd say ammo limits are the way to go. If someone wants to spunk their entire load of ammo in one encounter it'll be a learning experience for them.

nice analogy

• Supporters

That was my point. Having varied opposition provides you with the opportunity to become a better airsofter by finding ways to overcome them. Always only being faced with semi auto doesn't as much. Players tend to be forced to flank or learn how to flank when bogged down with full auto fire. It provides another dynamic than if everyone was on semi auto only.

Spoken like a true player.

The thing is it doesn't matter if they are firing 2 or 32rps they are still the opposition and the only thing I am really interested in is making them put their hand up. If I cant cope with what they are chucking at me then I don't deserve it and if they strafe the hell out of me then fair play to them for playing better. Just give them a well done and try harder next time.

Never had an injury thats stopped me playing yet and I wear my welts like a badge of honour (if you ain't bleeding you ain't trying hard enough). At the end of the day you have to be a bit of a masochist to enjoy this game anyway.

Because of the various technology used in airsoft I don't think it would be the easiest thing to bring in.

I used to play a lot of tourney paintball...sorry for swearing. There you had electronic triggers galore, no automatic fire, but you did have ramping on guns that had specific requirement. Ie..x number of trigger presses a second, engages ramping which was locked to x-amount of rounds per second as long as you maintained the trigger rate.

But alas something like that could only work if everyone was on a level playing field within airsoft.

But me personally, I tend to shoot like I was trained. Semi only, aimed shots whenever possible, rapid semi when trying to get someone's head down or full auto only when trying to suppress a position to allow it to be taken.

Of course it's not always easy to get decent accurate fire down range when your mates screaming...he's over there by that tree....in the middle of a woods lol.. Remember people. G.R.I.T

Personally I'm a semi-auto player, but I always like the idea of having full-auto available for covering someone or suppressing a larger group of enemies.

When it comes to full-auto being used against me, I feel that the game would be diminished if we were limited to semi only. I like that occasionally the sheet metal I'm hiding behind will be absolutely peppered with rounds, and I'll think 'right, I'm not going to be able to outshoot this guy - let's think of something else'. In the same way that I can get pinned down by a sniper who outranges me, it adds challenge for me to face someone whose gamestyle involves full-auto (it's not like it doesn't have its downsides - I find a player using full auto makes themselves more of a target, due to it being easier to hone in on the sound of their weapon and the direction their BBs are coming from).

Archived