Mythbusters!!!

Philby21

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

Been watching Mythbusters and had to share a couple of things:

1 - really cool to see them using an airsoft support gun (sorry I'm new to this so don't know exactly what kind but it was big!) to set up a test rig for that final scene in Breaking Bad;

2 - they just re-tested the movie "myth" about firing a pistol (1911), emptying the mag and reloading - they originally had it as busted but this time brought in a competitive pistol champ - holy crap!!! This guy emptied 3 x 20 round mags in just under 17 seconds and blew a substantial hole in the target!!!

If you haven't seen the latest episode check it out for an amazing example of how to handle a pistol.

Very interesting to watch it back and notice that he pauses for about half a second mid mag to re-sight.

Phil

• Supporters

I know him. Well, I've met him, he and my grandfather have shot together. I'll look up the episode.

For the breaking bad finally, It was an m60 and it wasn't an airsoft gun, or the episode I watched, it was real steel

For the actual series yes it was real steel, as was the one for the full test that the Mythbusters guys did but for setting up and workshop testing the rig to mount in the car they used an airsoft version.

Proffrink, I've just been watching one of Jerry's videos after taking a look at some more of Travis Tomasie - absolute pros, their gun craft is something to aspire to.

I've got a friend it WA who competition shoots (3 times state champion I believe), as WA is an "open carry" state he's armed pretty much any time he walks out the door. Very surreal experience when you're at a 4th of July party and he sits on the floor only to lean up again to get his Glock out of its holster as it's digging into his hip!

Gotta agree with you Prof, Jerry's revolver reloads are something else! :huh::blink::o

• Supporters

Yeah, but notice that to get that speed there is some pretty dodgy pistol handling going on, as regards where the trigger finger is as the gun goes live after a reload - I'll bet there were a lot of accidental discharges in practice!

I like the thing of keeping a semi-auto pistol up in front of your face as you reload so that re-acquiring the target requires no thought, especially as once something is practised to the stage where you do it on muscle memory, any thinking has the potential to trip you up completely - like walking downstairs while speaking on the phone and finding a child's toy where you're about to tread... Tread anyway; try to side-step; maybe just angle your foot onto the side; go to the next step down; kick it aside? Chances are if you think those alternatives through, you trip, but just going with whatever comes instinctively would be ok.

But of course we are often also trying to make sure our empty mags do not get lost, so dump-pouch-ing them adds time to our reloads. Still, I have a new pistol on order which has 29rnd mags and i will have 4 of them and, even if things go as well as I hope they will regarding my health, it will be a couple of weeks before I can get a game in, so I think I'm going to have a go at learning some speed shooting/reloading...

Edited by Ian_Gere
PS I love Mythbusters!

I'd love to see myth busters or someone with some kind of lab get to work on all the voodoo physics people cite around airsoft.

• Supporters

I'd love to see myth busters or someone with some kind of lab get to work on all the voodoo physics people cite around airsoft.

Absolutely! Wide bore barrels for starters! But i'd also like to see the guts of an average AEG set up in a clear polycarbonate rig so we could see full auto fire at 17K frames per second, so we could see exactly where each component is in relation to each other at any given moment. Plus I'd really like to see how the various shapes of spring guide affect the rate of spring compression and if that does anything to the timing of tappet plate delayers (the various shapes of which would also be nice to see @17Kf/s).

Yeah barrel bore for sure! Main one i'd like to know is exactly how force differs between bb weight at various ranges rather than just out the muzzle, with and without hop (myth bust joule creep basically)

Absolutely! Wide bore barrels for starters! But i'd also like to see the guts of an average AEG set up in a clear polycarbonate rig so we could see full auto fire at 17K frames per second, so we could see exactly where each component is in relation to each other at any given moment. Plus I'd really like to see how the various shapes of spring guide affect the rate of spring compression and if that does anything to the timing of tappet plate delayers (the various shapes of which would also be nice to see @17Kf/s).

Hmm, surely we can find someone who can manufacture something in perspex and get hold of a high speed camera to could do this, very interested in that myself!

Flash is all good, but it's virtual footage, and I think the suggestion was based around seeing exactly how it actually ends up all smacking together, to examine timing issues etc.

• Supporters

Flash is all good, but it's virtual footage, and I think the suggestion was based around seeing exactly how it actually ends up all smacking together, to examine timing issues etc.

Exactly - animations are based on the theory of how it all works - to see what actually goes on, in the kind of detail to see whether changing the shape of the spring guide, or using linear vs non-linear springs, causes/gets rid of a momentary slow down of the gear cycle and what this does to extension of the nozzle and consequently how that affects the feed of BB's, with/out tappet plate delayers, needs high speed film of real components.

Of course such things don't matter for your average AEG, or for those who decide to get uber high cycle rates from brute force &/or HPA, but for those of us who would like our suppressed AEG's to actually be quiet for eg, or for those of us who would like to be able to build a high spec AEG and know that the parts' interaction will not prematurely wear out one or more components, real data is the only way forward other than the common current approaches of 'if it costs more it must be better' and 'the more combinations you try, the more chance you have of finding the sweet spot' both of which are deeply flawed methodologies...

It would be great if there were polycarbonate or perspex gearbox cases on the market, would make it easy to diagnose mechanical problems without opening the gb up

• Supporters

It's not just the GB though Tac, it's the whole thing. For eg clear barrels and 17Kf/s would let us examine exactly how BB's behave after hop up and find out what length of barrel is ideal for each type of hop unit design. If we used BB's marked like those roundels on crash test dummies we'd be able to see exactly how much the backspin ideal of rotation around an axis perfectly perpendicular to the effect of gravity is forced to yaw by individual hop up components and how much this is corrected/exacerbated by different diameters and lengths of barrel.

A good friend of mine had an rc boat hull, deck & super structure made from 3mm thick clear plastic vacum formed :)

He used clear silicone to seal it all up with battery etc inside (still had access inside it)

It looked pretty cool on the water & had a little camera inside to record everything

• Supporters

I might get on lathe at work and produce my own clear barrel then mill out a gear box casting.

Keep us posted!

A good friend of mine had an rc boat hull, deck & super structure made from 3mm thick clear plastic vacum formed :)

He used clear silicone to seal it all up with battery etc inside (still had access inside it)

It looked pretty cool on the water & had a little camera inside to record everything

He sounds like someone who could get at least part of this mission done. Is he into airsoft yet and if not, why not? :D

Keep us posted!

He sounds like someone who could get at least part of this mission done. Is he into airsoft yet and if not, why not? :D

Sadly mate he's not, doesn't interest him apart from using parts in his boats

I make rc boats aswell

But if I was to to build a fully see through rifle & mag then I'd start with one of those see through m4's

I know a few engineering people who could mill out a barrel from acrylic rod, the gearbox from acrylic block etc & from what I've seen, you can get clear hop units aswell

Then you could put it in an ICS sportline clear body. Somehow the idea makes me feel like an airsoft pervert.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.