This a good build?

Zak Da Mack

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, im thinking about building a PC VERY soon and I have a list of pc parts which I thought were pretty good, but I just want to know what you think and if it's available cheaper anywhere else? Thanks in advance for anyone who helps me :D

Mid Tower

2 12mm fans - one front, one rear £29.99 Amazon

HDD

1 TB seagate sata 3 HDD £35.94 aria pc

DVDRW

some bog standard thing £10 amazon

CPU

3.5ghz AMD FX 6300 6 core £74 aria pc

MEMORY

2x 4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 £64 ARIA PC

GFX

Sapphire radeon r9 270x 2gb £136 aria pc

MOBO

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P AMD Socket AM3+ Motherboard £65.87 aria pc

PSU

EVGA 500W 80 Plus Power Supply (100-W1-0500-KR) £31.15 aria pc

SSD?

Kingston Technology 120GB Solid State Drive 2.5-inch V300 SATA 3 £42 amazon

Keyboard/mouse/headset bundle

E-Blue Cobra Gaming Bundle, Keyboard, Mouse, Headset £50 aria pc

• Supporters

i would be tempted to upgrade the power supply ... maybe a 750 or 800 .... always better to have more then less ;)

i would also go with a corsair power supply .... as i have never had one fail in my pc or on my bitcoin mining rigs ;)

A 500w PSU is way too low powered for any half decent PC these days, get a heavy duty power supply of at least 800w or you will experience instability on the power rails. It is even the case that with some high end graphic cards, that the thing wouldn't even fire up with only a 500w PSU in it, since many decent GPUs draw power directly from a plug from the PSU, and if it did fire up, it would cut out the moment the GPU started having to do any real processing, or if you added any peripherals which drew power through a USB.

Also, 8Gb of RAM is not typical of most PCs you'd buy these days, a better baseline would be between 12Gb and 16Gb of RAM. It'll work with 8Gb of course, but if you want to do any fancy video work or play very high end games, then it may very well result in longer load and processing times. Whatever amount of RAM you go for though, make sure it is DDR3 with the fastest bus speed that motherboard will support.

You will be fine Zak, im guessing you based this of the system Jack Frags built for £400? 500w is more then enough for this build. If you are really not sure then you can use a calculator like this to make sure: http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

I checked it and it came out at 390Watts peak load which you will probably never reach anyway. The bigger problem is the ampage that the rail supports. The GPU you have is 28A while the PSU is 40W so it will be safe for this card but if you put a more powerful GPU in the future your more then likely going to have to change the power supply.

You also need an Operating System.

Good luck. ;)

• Supporters

The bigger problem is the ampage that the rail supports.

That's the problem I had which necessitated having a way bigger PSU than I ever thought I'd need! I'm running an Nvidia GTX590 by the way.

I have intel stuff in my PC but yeah you will need above 500w I think. IIRC mine is 650 - 750

Gigabyte mobo, HIS IceQX GPU 7850?

i5 3570

That's all I can remember since I built it like...wow nearly 2 years ago I think? :0 feels like yesterday

Thanks for all your help guys and for that calculator. Yh, I did base it off of Jackfrags pc build thing he did as the fact that it can do bf4 at 60 fps on high assures me that this will be a good build.

You have enough bits there to start building it :)

I do indeed, but nothing to put it into :angry: Amazon let me down by denying my debit card just before their warehouses closed, so now the parts wont arrive on saturday, but monday instead which is annoying as no one will be in until after 3 that day

I would say buy a 750w PSU, I had a 500W PSU and it blew up on my gaming PC. Remember you're going to need to buy some SATA cables, other than that it looks like a fairly decent build should be able to run most game on high graphical settings. :)

Also you have SSD with a ?, SSD's are great if you want to install your O/S and games you play very often however.... If you are going to buy an SSD make sure you buy it now before you use the PC because it is a mazzive pain in the balls to transfer stuff like Windows ect... from a Harddrive to an SSD.

• Supporters

I would say buy a 750w PSU, I had a 500W PSU and it blew up on my gaming PC.

Totally depends on the quality of the PSU and the current on the 12v rail for the GPU. A good quality 500W PSU may well work where a cheap one would just blow up. Personally I'm a fan of the Corsair PSUs but I've also had good experiences with Seasonic.

The rating of wattage on a PSU is how much it can deliver not how much it deliverers all the time.

Thus there is no real disadvantage about having a few 100 more W. To be safe personally I would go for a 750W and also if he wants to upgrade certain components in the future like a more powerful GPU then obviously it will be able to produce the power to advocate for that increase in power usage.

• Supporters

His power supply is fine...

More the the point he already has it.

I know, just shooting the breeze.

I was going to jump in before he got his parts as I would change a few pieces of it but unfortunately I was extremly busy with course work...But I would like to clear up the crazy amount of miss information in this thread to do with his PSU.

People who are saying he needs a higher wattage PSU do not know what they are talking about. 500watts is MORE than enough for what he has and also provides plenty of room for overclocking. there is a reason PSU's come with 80+ Bronze,sliver,gold, platinum and titanium rating. It certifies products that have more than 80% energy efficiency at 20%, 50% and 100% of rated load ( with platinum and titanium it is more like 90%) to get the best out of your power supply you must have it use most of its available amount of wattage it is able to deliver to the components for peak levels of efficiency other wise you are wasting power and negating the benefits you get from having a more effient PSU. Also if your PSU blew up its most likely becuse it was crap. only buy powersupplys from good brands and dont cheap out on them, becuse if it goes most likely everything else is gone to. Brands like Seasonic, Corsair (OEM by Seasonic) OCZ, ,XFX (Again OEM by Seasonic) Antec, Silverstone etc. Just becuse you have a higher wattage PSU doesnt mean it is better. Most high quality PSU's the fans dont even spin untill a certain wattage threshold is reached. or may not even have a fan at all.

And welcome to the PC gaming Master Race Zak. May your tempatures be low and your overclocks forever stable. :)

(Edit) If you want to test it Zak you can use your Mobo Box as a test bench. just make sure its not on the carpet or something like that and ground yourself by touching something metal, Like a powersupply connect to the wall. just means you can test things with out having to take it out of the case which is a pain in the ass at times if it doesnt work.

(Double Edit) I forgot the say this. Am not sure if you know but I will mention it anyway. just make sure you enable the XMP Profile on your Mobo so your RAM will run at 1600Mhz. On page 36 of your manual it tells you how to do it. If you are stuck just do some googleing on enableing XMP on your motherboard.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.