Ed, Let's play a game

geoffreym

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

These bigger optics will probably be the 6x ACOG, not the disgustingly horrible telescopic style optic in the video. As the MOD are tight, they'll probably have the 6x on some sort of contract with the manufacturer which discounts bulk orders since they bought these sights for the sharpshooter rifles.

• Supporters

They picked up standard style scopes for the L129 as well, plenty of those in the stores system used on various weapons over the years. Those 6x ACOGs quite possibly also have reticules designed for the 762 rounds they fire.

I'm not saying I know what's going to happen for sure either way, just that the possibility is certainly there.

5.56 sharpshooter??? ermmmm pointless.

Not quite... using a 5.56 chambered sharpshooter rifle would decrease much possibility of collateral damage against civilians in urban ops. If you miss a target with a 7.62 and hit a wall, the projectile would penetrate relatively far (I've heard that it will go through 3 brick walls however Idk about the validity of this) whereas 5.56, which is predominantly used in built up environments, does not penetrate as far.

So with the 5.56 you won't inadvertently injure or kill civilians.

Sounds fairly useful to me.

5.56mm is pretty suited to the kind of ranges you'd see in most urban environments, and as well as this you'd be able to share ammunition and mags with other soldiers- this could be vital if any supply lines were cut to your force.

• Supporters

The Mk12 uses a heavier 5.56 round than the standard M16s though, so it will likely have higher penetration. It actually helps back up the fact that heavier ammo goes further with greater accuracy lol, it's just like airsoft.

3 brick walls sounds about right for a 7.62, I'd have put that on the lower end of its penetration tbh, would've expected more.

Though I'm thinking 3 brick walls that are set up on a range with only 2 inches between them, whereas it probably means, through one house and half way through the next one...

Also, I've seen videos on YouTube of people hitting balloons at 900m with AR15s, whether or not they were modified or there was some dodgy camera work going on, I've no idea, but it can be done. So anything that's been altered to be better at that is going to be capable of it and I also know a guy who used to be an LSW gunner and an ex para who claims to have hit targets on a range at 900m with an LSW, so if they can equip them with the same ammo the Mk12 uses they'd probably be pretty effective.

The Sharpshooter is supposed to be for targets around the 800m mark though, but a site owner at Skirmish once casually implied whilst giving me a lift to the site that he'd dropped a guy at 600m with a standard L85, which are only supposed to be effective to about half that, so I guess the only limitation is the shooters ability lol.

That said, the longest range kill with a 7.62 is in the 1200m region, so 800m for the Sharpshooter sounds about right considering the record was done with a bolt action, getting that range accurately and consistently with a 5.56 would be exceptionally difficult/impossible. It was probably just the volume of fire that made it possible to hit targets at 900m, that or utterly perfect conditions.

• Supporters

Yeah, civilians were hit and iirc killed in Northern Ireland by 7.62x51mm penetrating through brick walls.

• Supporters

Let's be fair though, nothing is actually going to happen to the rifle. It's just that it would be issued with a different optic. As it stands, if a Colonel makes a good enough case for his/(are there any hers?) regiment to be issued particular optics and mounts, hey presto... if they're in stock somewhere, we've got a new topic for aficionados to get their knickers in a twist about :lol:

That is seriously cool, looks a little like one of those plasma rifles from Warhammer 40K :D

I'd definitely build something similar if I had the time and the money :)

almost done with the "XP60", just needs the M14 RAS rail to go on top, the M203 to go on the bottom, and a torch to fit under the barrel.

photo17_zps1185258b.jpg

photo28_zpsad494c9a.jpg

I like it, yet at the same time hate it....

It hurts, it hurts so much!!!!!!

In more ways than one ;)

I just love how you make it look so easily wiedable! Aside from the muzzle break, which in all fairness suits it, I love it!

It hurts, it hurts so much!!!!!!

Thats what she said? :ph34r:

Geoffreym, I hate you and everything you stand for :P

I can't decide whether I hate this Gundam inspired M4 or I love it. I'm leaning towards the latter I think. I'm not sure how practical a full Gundam loadout would be for CQB though.............

ERP-SRC-SR4-A1-1.jpg

I just love how you make it look so easily wiedable! Aside from the muzzle break, which in all fairness suits it, I love it!

Thats what she said? :ph34r:

it's easy to wield, but still ruddy heavy, and extremely pointable.

Geoffreym, I hate you and everything you stand for :P

Thank you, made my day ;)

I can't decide whether I hate this Gundam inspired M4 or I love it. I'm leaning towards the latter I think. I'm not sure how practical a full Gundam loadout would be for CQB though.............

Eugh, looks like something that would come out of a McDonalds happy meal

Eugh, looks like something that would come out of a McDonalds happy meal

Agreed, that is ugly.

Just found this and I can't decide if I love it or want to throw it off a verrry tall building.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.