Is it legal to bring plate carriers to UK in a check-in luggage by airplane?

KevinCao

I'm an international student in Durham Uni, im currently doing HKP impression, is it against the UK law to bring my HKP loadouts in my check-in luggages to UK? I'm landing at Gatwick Airport London.

The plate carrier and most of the pouches im using right now is genuein made by OPS(but without any plates or bullet proof layers), and the holster is geneuin safariland 6005, and a replica FAST helmet, made by plastic. Those are the main stuff im concerned with, please help me out. I'm really worried about getting denied at the UK customs, that means i might lost all my gadgets and even my student visa.

• Supporters

As long as you don't have any gun-shaped objects, I can't see what the problem would be, "genuine" or otherwise. Nothing to declare. In the very unlikely event that you do get pulled aside, the holster _might_ trigger a question of "Where's the gun?", but there's nothing actually prohibited there. It won't be the first or last helmet brought in, I've brought in steel hats.

• Moderators

As everyone has said it should be fine, anyone can own pc's etc.

BUT

I'm gonna say something contentious that not everyone may like, but it has to be considered. 

You haven't said where your coming from, home country or ethnic origin, & Unfortunately some government agencies have been known to use racial profiling as a tool to essentially narrow down their search process in the "fight against terror".

In that respect, should you tick any of the stereotypical boxes they look at, as someone here on a student visa, it would crap if some over eager civil servant spots the "military vest", & misconstrued it's purpose.

If you felt this was feasible, might be better to mail the vest to your UK address & avoid any unpleasantness. 

On the flip side, probably like many here I like to use certain brands in daily life, whether it's clothing or luggage etc, when travelling to certain countries I've been inclined to tone down my attire, turn up looking like a poster model for 5.11 etc & you may get mistaken for something your not.

It's a worldwide problem, but all we wanna do is pew pew lol.

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

As everyone has said it should be fine, anyone can own pc's etc.

BUT

I'm gonna say something contentious that not everyone may like, but it has to be considered. 

You haven't said where your coming from, home country or ethnic origin, & Unfortunately some government agencies have been known to use racial profiling as a tool to essentially narrow down their search process in the "fight against terror".

In that respect, should you tick any of the stereotypical boxes they look at, as someone here on a student visa, it would crap if some over eager civil servant spots the "military vest", & misconstrued it's purpose.

If you felt this was feasible, might be better to mail the vest to your UK address & avoid any unpleasantness. 

On the flip side, probably like many here I like to use certain brands in daily life, whether it's clothing or luggage etc, when travelling to certain countries I've been inclined to tone down my attire, turn up looking like a poster model for 5.11 etc & you may get mistaken for something your not.

It's a worldwide problem, but all we wanna do is pew pew lol.

Assuming that the OP is from Hong Kong or Vietnam, he should not have a problem; I have a couple of students from Hong Kong who have brought kit over after returning home for a holiday.

Edited by Colin Allen

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

Assuming that the OP is from Hong Kong or Vietnam, he should not have a problem; I have a couple of students from Hong Kong who have brought kit over after returning home for a holiday.

Yeah I didn't want to make any assumptions, before you know it it'll be like a little Britain sketch 🤐

11 hours ago, Pseudotectonic said:

Can you post a picture for proper evaluation

Will do, I’m away from home for like 2-3 days, I’ll update when I’ve returned.

11 hours ago, Tackle said:

Yeah I didn't want to make any assumptions, before you know it it'll be like a little Britain sketch 🤐

I come from China, I’ve called the Shanghai airport customs and they said all my gadgets is allowed to carry out of China, but they don’t know whether they were legal in UK.

11 minutes ago, KevinCao said:

Will do, I’m away from home for like 2-3 days, I’ll update when I’ve returned.

I come from China, I’ve called the Shanghai airport customs and they said all my gadgets is allowed to carry out of China, but they don’t know whether they were legal in UK.

None of what you described is illegal in the UK; you should not have any problems.

• Supporters
16 hours ago, R E C O N said:

I travelled fequently to the Middle East and back with a plate carrier, pouches and plates plus helmet. No weapons or accessories without being stopped. Shouldnt be a problem

Trust me, you'll be on a list somewhere...