Boonie v base ball cap

Wegalaxy

So I'm getting more dpm gear to complete my load out.

I'm split between a Boonie hat or a base ball cap.

What would be better for protection from being hit in the head???

Also can you see down your sights whilst wearing a Boonie hat with out hanging bits getting in the way? 

Thanks

My boonie hat with a drawstring chin strap thing always seems to get caught on twigs and undergrowth more often, so my 'sprint' (oh I wish) from spawn at game start ends up getting curtailed rather abruptly 😋

I'm probably just wearing it wrong, but yeah I stick to my camo baseball cap, which also has a bit more 'form' to it and therefore feels a tiny bit better at taking the sting out of the headshots

My mesh lower face mask has ear protection, consider getting either type of headgear with the fold down flaps if you don't have that.

"Flaps".   Yub-yub wibble etc

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Or a "crap" hat? 

• Supporters

I always gravitated to a baseball cap.

Few times i wore something more enclosing the extra protection was eroded by blocked breeze resulting in greater fogging.

Ofc as always ymmv, someone less sweaty may find the downsides do not outweigh the benefits of increased cover, reduced visibility and greater cool factor.

Try placing the boonie drawstring at the back of your head, it still wont fall off and gets it out of the way.

Also a small hole in the rim and feed an opened paperclip in, you can adjust the brim to suit !

6 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

ymmv

Definitely. I get worse fogging with a ball cap than a boonie

9 hours ago, Ian Bru said:

Try placing the boonie drawstring at the back of your head, it still wont fall off and gets it out of the way.

Also a small hole in the rim and feed an opened paperclip in, you can adjust the brim to suit !

I'm with you with the drawstring behind the head - surprisingly secure. BUT - the tip regarding stuffing the unfolded paperclip into the hats brim - either you have a tiny head or a supply of very big paperclips!

I use a boonie and I think it protects quite well and with the draw string it won't fall off.

If you are worried about hits to the head you could add a bump cap (for the boonie or cap)
Bump cap at Amazon

I use that for CQB

oh and a boonie of course looks a lot more reccy 😄

• Supporters
15 hours ago, Wegalaxy said:

What would be better for protection from being hit in the head???

Unless you line one or the other with something to absorb impacts, neither will stop you feeling it when you get shot in the head. Also - if you ever wear the baseball cap back to front I can GUARANTEE you, that you will get shot in the little D shaped  gap where the adjuster is. Every. Damned. Time.

• Supporters
31 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I can GUARANTEE you, that you will get shot in the little D shaped  gap where the adjuster is. Every. Damned. Time.

Even if you wear it the right way round, rounds will absolutely always find that gap between the peak and your goggles.

Same way as fingerless gloves guarantee you'll only ever take hits to the fingertips.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Even if you wear it the right way round, rounds will absolutely always find that gap between the peak and your goggles.

Same way as fingerless gloves guarantee you'll only ever take hits to the fingertips.

Such is the law of the universe.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Not only the ‘law of sod’

But a forward facing peak will also increase the number of hits that make their way towards your google area - and the law of sod guarantees that those ones will direct towards gaps

The peak adds a one sided corridor that deflects near misses into face hits  

My airsoft headgear journey has followed the Michael Fassbender "Perfection" meme, three different things until perfection was achieved.

I prefer real head protection: Started with a Viper Tactical baseball cap, occasionally using a Jack Pike camo one, and both suffered with the same problems... too thin / fell off too easily / peak would catch on things / BB's magically find any gaps. 

I said real head protection: Then a good FMA ballistic helmet, a very large one that fitted my melon head. I was very happy, I could mount an ExFog, but then being sneaky came along and it didn't fit the bill (but has been passed to my son who happy with it).

Perfection: Then onto a boonie for trying to pretend to be a bush or a clump of bracken (with added mesh etc. and my ExFog). But, ignoring the camo side of things, I found that it was "perfection" in that... it's light on my head / sits well with my Delta Mike / the fabric has some "give" rather than a restrictive helmet / it's so easy to store in my kit bag / it has a wire brim so I can mold it to by head (no BB gaps) / the material is thick enough to protect me but I will notice hits.

I love my "UF PRO Striker Gen.2 Boonie" and need to buy another to craft ready for winter.

Preference is for a ball cap, but my melon sized head makes buying common baseball caps a nightmare. Camo ones that aren't awful in shape or migraine inducingly small seem super money for something that gets so sweaty so I have got a us woodland boonie.

Obviously cut it down (very garand thumb operator esque) and have used a 6 inch length of copper from some wiring with the sheath removed to be able to shape the front of it. 

Works well, especially in the sun so far but I still feel like a fishing nerd wearing it.