Whats the general rule of thumb when it comes to fps/J?

Yashy

Let's for say I wanted a gun that's perfect for outdoors and perfect for indoors. What fps/jouls should i be focussing on getting? (non dmr, .2 - .28 bbs will be used)

Just so I dont have to open up a gun just to play indoors. What are the rules for all general sites?

Sorry if this is a stupid question

As above, 1 Joule tends to be the lowest limit for the various CQB sites in my local area too. They also have a limit on BB weight though  - max .25.  At 1J power, it might be worth experimenting with your BB weight outdoors, as .28 (and heavier) doesn't always equate to better range, especially when your gun is running at the lower power levels.

I play in & out, .25's mean I'm within the limit for my CQB site while also being fine outdoors as long as it's not blowing a hoolie. As has been said, 1J's a good place to be.

Set your sights up for outdoors and you'll be fine when using them indoors, yeah they'll be a smidge off, but we're talking airsoft tolerances here, your pew probably wasn't that accurate in the first place (apologies if yours does actually shoot like a LaZeR).

• Supporters

Not a stupid question at all. As above, set it up for 1J and you'll be sweet for pretty much everywhere. I'd use heavier ammo and adjust the hop for outdoors games though.

Why not have two guns though?

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

Just two?

Preaching to the choir mate, I just figured OP might be a bit less....flush than some of us!

Obviously by two, you mean four? gotta have a backup for when the inevitable happens.

The "perfect" gun if you insist on just one is anything that an individual can use effectively indoors and outdoors scoring consistent hits.

I use many of my same primaries outdoors and in CQB and get hits frequently because I play somewhat regularly and hone my skills.

You should focus on being within the site limits. Chasing the limit risks to failing a chrono test.

My M4 that could be likened to a PDW is "only" 0.9J when I've played at sites with a 1.13J limit (indoors and outdoors) but I've scored hits regularly in both environments and not felt at a significant disadvantage against other players bound to the same limit.

As others have said, being within 1.0J should cover you at the vast majority of UK sites if you insist on never having to "open up (your) gun just to play indoors". A quick-change spring option offers a reasonable compromise where just need a screwdriver to eject the spring and its guide if you need to downgrade the former.

There's no universal power limit for all cqb sites but they're all (at least the ones I've played at) between 330 and 350 fps (with a .2) and many have a weight limit, usually .25 but some go up to .28. As with most things it's best to check with the specific site you're going to play at

Unfortunately there's no such thing as "one gun to rule them all" and using the same gun for cqb and outdoors will usually end in making compromises between the two.

For cqb I often don't bother taking a rifle. I find that no full auto being allowed takes away a big advantage AEGs have and the smaller size of a pistol helps when moving through tight spaces. The pistol (or any gbb) also has the advantage of a faster trigger response, something which is invaluable when targets may only present themselves for  fractions of a second

In my limited experience of cqb, accuracy counts for a lot. People are carefully peeking corners (if they're not jumping from one bit of cover to another) so being able to hit a  < 6" square area at 15m is what you want to do, repeatedly and often.  

Or just have fun blasting away with a tracer on your gbb, the choice is yours.

(Buying my tracer unit was a big improvement in the experience, because blasting away with no knowledge of where the bb's are going in the dimly lit interior was not so great)

3 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

I find that no full auto being allowed takes away a big advantage AEGs have and the smaller size of a pistol helps when moving through tight spaces. The pistol (or any gbb) also has the advantage of a faster trigger response, something which is invaluable when targets may only present themselves for  fractions of a second

@Yashy This is one of the reasons I asked previously what you thought you were missing out on by being slightly below the limit. You stand to gain more by having a faster trigger response and being able to sight an opponent more quickly than you will gain in whimsically chasing the FPS limit.

In the case of my P90 that I'd upgraded with a MOSFET, the trigger response has been night and day better and let me sometimes shoot players first even when they spotted me first. My Hi-Capa is a pea shooter in terms of falling well withing the site limits but I scored a hit on an opposing player by both having a quick trigger response and being able to aim at him more quickly than he could with his AEG.

• Supporters

It's mostly been covered, but I'd emphasise that you need to check the rules at the sites where you intend to play.

If you haven't purchased a gun yet, and if you intend to get something M4-ish, I'd always look for a quick-change spring as a feature, ideally one that doesn't require removing the gearbox from the gun.  (some) Specna Arms and Lancer Tacticals make a good argument for themselves on this basis.

It's always better to come out a bit lower and need to step 5 yards closer, than to come out over and be sent home.  Some people swear by stock Toyko Marui guns putting out under 0.8J.  Hang on, I'll show you what I meme.

image.png.c81fb0c3fef27a912c3e19882bc956b7.png

If your intention is to just run one gun for CQB and outdoors then like has already been mentioned, they'll have to be compromises for either setting.

You may not want a full sized M4 for CQB as you'll just get in your own way when taking corners or clearing rooms. Something the size on an ARP9 might suit. A few lads use them at our woodland site and seem to fair ok!

I'd recommend getting a chrono at home so you can figure out what weights you can safely use while still being within site limits.

One thing that is often over looked when matching BB weight to optimal range is playing style! If you like to push, the extra bit of range you MIGHT get from a heavier BB may be lost / pointless if you like to run around like a bull in a china shop!

I stick 0.32's in everything I use outdoors that's not a sniper....ok apart from my click clack KC02 which I've got at 1J, this sends 0.4's close to 80 actual metres, or 200 Airsoft metres if you use that scale.

Indoors I run 0.25's but I'm fortunate enough to have separate CQB pistols and shotguns. So the hop dosn't need to be adjusted to suit where I play.

All the best xx