Skirmishing using GBBR's

gavinkempsell

My first GBBR gameday is this Sunday, any tips apart from conserving ammo?

I'll have a couple of AEG's just in case it's too cold in sunny Scotland.

Thanks in advance.

Work your way in closer to the other team, conserve ammo and pick shots , remember that once you open up they will know where you are from the sound of a GBBR , Keep your mags warm . 

Above all prepare for a much more immersive experience than any aeg 

2 hours ago, DanBow said:

Conserve ammo? Are you crazy? That's not a tip, that's a bad idea!

Just less spray & pray.

1 hour ago, Nick G said:

Work your way in closer to the other team, conserve ammo and pick shots , remember that once you open up they will know where you are from the sound of a GBBR , Keep your mags warm . 

Above all prepare for a much more immersive experience than any aeg 

I'm 6'4" & just as wide... they'll know where I am anyway.

1 hour ago, EDcase said:

Looking forward to your experience report.

How many mags are you taking?

Got 5 for each GBBR & a million hicaps for my AEG's.

And an odin with adaptor for my XM177 mags, & normal speed loader for my Scar mags & pistol mags.

Edited by gavinkempsell

13 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

Got 5 for each GBBR...

So 150 shots maximum before you have to stop and reload mags 😁

Its going to be tough going up against AEGs and HPA with hi-caps at 20+ rps 😬

2 hours ago, DanBow said:

Conserve ammo? Are you crazy? That's not a tip, that's a bad idea!

Eh?  With a GBBR that's the ONLY way to play 🙄

Gunman FilmSim days have single shot rules and ammo restrictions of 600 BB's for general players. (Other rules for machine gunners, snipers etc)

I'm tempted to take a GBBR to one of those games.

Edited by EDcase

2 minutes ago, EDcase said:

So 150 shots maximum before you have to stop and reload mags 😁

Its going to be tough going up against AEGs and HPA with hi-caps at 20+ rps 😬

And yet it actually isn't . You adapt your play style and it's so satisfying when you take some spray and prey wanker out with a double tap 🤣

18 minutes ago, Nick G said:

And yet it actually isn't . You adapt your play style and it's so satisfying when you take some spray and prey wanker out with a double tap 🤣

I know the feeling as I always use single shot even with an AEG and Hi-Cap.  (I tend to die when moving up so needs good co-ordination and suppression from fellow players to work)

I may give my GBBR a go when I can get enough mags.

(Though my main at the moment is a Lonex BAW 😍 which kicks as much as any of my GBBRs)

Edited by EDcase

8 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

My first GBBR gameday is this Sunday, any tips apart from conserving ammo?

I'll have a couple of AEG's just in case it's too cold in sunny Scotland.

Thanks in advance.

Where are you playing bud?

Keep your mags as close to you body to keep them as warm as possible. 

Make sure you have a hop rubber soft enough for dealing with the cold. 

To be fair, this weekend looks unseasonably warm, forecast for 11 deg here on Sunday 🤞

The first game day I took my GBBR too, I started filling my mags with bbs and gas, then they called the safety briefing. 
all stood around listening to the usual, before an almighty boom went off; right where I had left my kit… 

filled gas mag was left in the sun, for a short moment of time and the mag was no more 🥲 it was a 25 degree morning, and a costly mistake! 

as said above, a more immersive experience and great fun. Post up how you get on if you don’t mind! 

19 hours ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

Where are you playing bud?

POW M8

17 hours ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

To be fair, this weekend looks unseasonably warm, forecast for 11 deg here on Sunday

Yeah been a good day today too.

Already had the first hiccup, replacing my sa80 pouches for sharpshooters, the Scar mags fitted but were far to tight, all sorted now.

Well, where do I start?

Probably 30 mins before I actually got there TBH, the site is right on my doorstep so I have no excuses.

Crono'd my Scar-H GBBR on 2.5's & it was too hot for the site tried it on 2's with the same result, safety brief was called just as I was muttering FFS under my breath so after the safety brief I took out my Scar-L AEG from the boot of my car & it crono'd just on or under the site limit so played a game using that, got a couple of kills & respawned a couple of times but I wasn't really feeling the motivation to continue & felt I was nursing a sore back a bit much to enjoy my day.

I'd taken my Scar-H GBBR, XM177 GBBR, Scar-L AEG, but by my last respawn I'd already decided to give the day a miss, so took my pews to the range with extra gas, extra batteries & extra bb's where I spent the next hour or so flinging 3's, 2.5's & some 2's down range. Despite not fielding the GBBR's I definitely felt the AEG to be a bit Meh in comparison to the plinking I'd already done with the GBBR's.

On a positive note, the GBBR's had good range although I need to set the hop on the XM177, & I collected a few of my other pews from our local tech which I played about with too...

An L85A1 was in for a wee fix & is now shooting with fantastic range, realistically 50m but bb's were going past the 60m & pretty close to the 70 mark but with no accuracy (yet), an SL8/9 was in for a repair as it was firing on full auto despite being a semi (now a single shot only & range was almost as good as the L85), an AR57 was a bit hot but shoots pretty good now (Mag changes were awkward but I recon a change of sights with sort that) & lastly a G36 was ok but nothing special (will never be fielded anyway).

Not a 100% successful day TBH but these things happen, next chance to play soldiers will be in March.

Edited by gavinkempsell

Has the SCAR H got an NPAS in it ? As you say days like that happen, but it sounds like you enjoyed the GBBR's on the range.

I played today, did the first game with my aeg L119 A1 long while the gas mags got nice and toasty in the pouches on my plate carrier. Interesting that I used only about half a hi cap  as I was very much in semi only mode from using the GBBRs so often.

After that my A2 played the rest of the day , as usual I had no issues other than forgetting to regas one mag before a game . 

Can't beat the GBBRs !

On 27/01/2024 at 01:43, Enid_Puceflange said:

Keep your mags as close to you body to keep them as warm as possible. 

Make sure you have a hop rubber soft enough for dealing with the cold. 

To be fair, this weekend looks unseasonably warm, forecast for 11 deg here on Sunday 🤞

This.

Rotate your mags.

One loaded in the RIF, one in a pocket close to your body (no insulating layer between). Upon changing your mag, get the warm one on the RIF, get one from your ammunition pouches to your body.

And so on, so forth.

40 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Has the SCAR H got an NPAS in it ?

No but looks easy enough to install so got a couple on their way via t'internet.

48 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

No but looks easy enough to install so got a couple on their way via t'internet.

Yep, straight forward to install . If it was running hot today, you'll certainly need one in there for the summer !

Checked my XM177 thinking it might have npas fitted as it's newer & bought new but sadly no... 2 WE npas kits ordered.

Edited by gavinkempsell

14 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

Checked my XM177 thinking it might have npas fitted as it's newer & bought new but sadly no... 2 WE npas kits ordered.

It’s a shame that manufacturers don’t include npas as standard, as its genuinely a necessity (unless you are stateside where fps limits are much higher than ours)

An opportunity I suppose for extra revenue for them, but really, would it kill them to install and charge like an extra £30? 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

It’s a shame that manufacturers don’t include npas as standard, as its genuinely a necessity (unless you are stateside where fps limits are much higher than ours)

An opportunity I suppose for extra revenue for them, but really, would it kill them to install and charge like an extra £30? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Totally agree. Of all the GBBRs I have, the only one that doesn't have some sort of NPAS or adjustable valves is the mp9 and that has the low power bolt so it shoots about 0.7J. They're a must-have because weather affects power, so if I use them in the current weather I need to turn up the power, but then when it's 20+ celcius I need to turn the power down because the gas runs better in warmer temperatures.