If I hear one more Youtuber referring to an 'M' 'K' 23....

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Colin Allen said:

One thing that really gets me is using "different to" rather than "different from". 🤣

Different to, different from and even different than are all fine as far as the Oxford Living Dictionary is concerned. "Different than" of course will immediately single one out for ridicule as being rather American.

44 minutes ago, _K4MF_ said:

By the same logic, does that mean that if you s**t yourself, you've got skid "M-Ks"? 

100%. And also the four Christian evangelists are famously only ever referred to as being Matthew, M-K, Luke, and John!

53 minutes ago, John_W said:

No, See Burn....

Well my Mum is actually "Chief Inspector of Words", She's done 5 operational tours of Oxford, and was "Head Wizard of Lightbulb Moments" at the Dictionary Factory and she says its Kaburn, so..... 🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, Lozart said:

Different to, different from and even different than are all fine as far as the Oxford Living Dictionary is concerned. "Different than" of course will immediately single one out for ridicule as being rather American.

They may all be fine, but 'different from' is the grammatically correct version.

On 10/01/2024 at 19:13, TheFull9 said:

The one that really gets me (and this has been going on for at least 10 years) is the blatant global lie that is the use of the word polymer to somehow mean something different to plastic.  'Oh this is polymer, not just plastic'... get fucked.

Oh dear, guilty m'lud.

Can I choose who fucks me?   Always a been a tad partial to Scarlett Johansson, tbqh

• Supporters
On 10/01/2024 at 19:13, TheFull9 said:

The one that really gets me (and this has been going on for at least 10 years) is the blatant global lie that is the use of the word polymer to somehow mean something different to plastic.  'Oh this is polymer, not just plastic'... get fucked.

Technically, technically, polymer and plastic are not the same thing.

Differences between polymer and plastic?

The terms polymer and plastic are not the same. Plastic is a specific type of polymer comprised of a long chain of polymers. Polymers, on the other hand, are made up of uniform molecules that are smaller than plastic molecules.

That said, all the bits of airsoft guns that aren't metal or wood are very definitely plastic and the people that say their polymer gun is betterer can indeed get fucked.

42 minutes ago, Lozart said:

That said, all the bits of airsoft guns that aren't metal or wood are very definitely plastic and the people that say their polymer gun is betterer can indeed get fucked.

You see now I'm none the wiser.  Or is it none the stupider.

I'm definitely none something 🥸

• Supporters
52 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Do influencers use the word correctly when they employ it to imply something which actually just misleads people?

1 hour ago, TheFull9 said:

Do influencers use the word correctly when they employ it to imply something which actually just misleads people?

Its trade names over material science.

Glocks were made from Polymer 2, believed to be a nylon reinforced with glass fibre.

This has caught on and manufacturers don't like to say plastic, when there's a bit more to them.

Airsoft guns don't need the strength of posh plastics to replicate the weapon and some of the more basic plastics do fine.

People like to say polymer instead of plastic, cos it sounds better I think, but not all polymers are plastics, all plastics are polymers.

It's hard to mislead anyone if they don't know what the 2 things are or the difference.

• Supporters
On 12/01/2024 at 19:51, Sewdhull said:

It's hard to mislead anyone if they don't know what the 2 things are or the difference.

Surely that's exactly how it's easy to mislead someone?

• Supporters
On 12/01/2024 at 17:50, RostokMcSpoons said:

You see now I'm none the wiser.  Or is it none the stupider.

I'm definitely none something 🥸

On 12/01/2024 at 18:12, Pseudotectonic said:

Plastic is a polymer, m'kay?

All plastics are polymers, not all polymers are plastics (DNA for example is a polymer).

As @Sewdhull mentioned some manufacturers started using "polymer" instead of plastic because of the negative associations people have with plastics in terms of durability. The plastic that Glock uses is a trade secret but most people seem to think it's either DuPont Zytel or something very similar which is just plastic reinforced with glass fibre.

Some airsoft manufacturers haver followed suit and started using glass reinforced plastics after ABS proved to be less than ideal for receivers (old TM M4's for example) and picked up on the use of "polymer" as a marketing differentiator because the vast unwashed masses neither understand the difference or care because they're led to believe that "polymer is better than plastic" when it's actually "glass fibre reinforced nylon is better than ABS".

As to @TheFull9's point, I very much doubt that "influencers" understand what they're saying as most of the time they're just repeating what the marketing blurb says, so at best they're perpetuating a lack of understanding and at worst misleading buyers. That said, the market will support itself at the lowest common denominator so is it really the manufactures/influencers who are at fault or the buying public for just not making themselves aware?

12 hours ago, Lozart said:

Surely that's exactly how it's easy to mislead someone?

In a general sense, yes ofcourse, in this thread and in relation to polymer or plastic, you can't be misled if you know what they are or don't.

I came here to complain about em kays and now you're all talking about plastics. Don't think I've ever refered to my mk23 as an em kay 23. Mark 23 is easier to say anyway.

8 minutes ago, Impulse said:

I came here to complain about em kays and now you're all talking about plastics. Don't think I've ever refered to my mk23 as an em kay 23. Mark 23 is easier to say anyway.

All I can hear is this guy....

Mmmkay GIFs | Tenor

Maybe this guy started the trend...

Edited by _K4MF_

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.