in a dilemma.

son of dan

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have a real thing for 7 Eleven sandwiches ... We have one literally next door to our apartment so I'm always sneaking in there for midnight snacks.

Not long ago we went to Nikko for a two day trip and it was gorgeous....  Managed to get some nice drone shots too.

ADCreHdEzX_nCEuS8gC8aqc4AgmQ_T--KSsfkw6H

ADCreHeLSAD3dV_lt8EYXB5jnihTkdev5d2Qbtm4

ADCreHeBXNnx4p-iafhK-rPyykby1t08GI2RYzUB

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RnaRiq8ELcvp3JvGA

Posting images to practice remote image hosting...  See forum feedback thread.

Edited by Dan Robinson

24 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

I might knick that one fro me and SWMBO.  thumbsup.gif

But were they the fun kind - or the I f'ked up kind? LOL

The latter ☹️

19 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

I do like a tree photo

Not both?

Haha. Well I enjoyed it lol.

51 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

I do like a tree photo

Cheers, i was rather pleased with it....I have it as the background on my folding phone...matches the fold perfectly 😁.   Its amazing what you can do with mobile  camera's. 

4 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

I have a real thing for 7 Eleven sandwiches ... We have one literally next door to our apartment so I'm always sneaking in there for midnight snacks.

lard arse

On 29/10/2023 at 20:57, Shamal said:

Can you wear a pair of m4's to work to earn money? No.

Can you wear a pair of 1911's to the shops to get food for the table? No.

Will a pair of sniper rifles allow you to get to the washing machine to wash your filthy clothes? No.

Be prepared to have a reply for when these questions get fired at you cause they will 😂😂

I went to the bank once with a pair of 1911s and the staff thought that they were so cool, they gave me a great wad of money for free!

On 01/11/2023 at 02:00, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I went to the bank once with a pair of 1911s and the staff thought that they were so cool, they gave me a great wad of money for free!

sounds like a good idea. i might need to try that with my SIG. I'm sure the Japanese bank would find it even fascinating 

On 31/10/2023 at 05:05, Miêu Anh-Nguyễn said:

When I was in China, even though I was 23 years old and graduated from college, and working as a police officer in a prison, my mother would disapprove of me having airsoft in my house (shooting gel balls, but with the same structure as other AEG airsoft).

Maybe you can sell your BM01, because the speed limit in Japan makes it difficult to upgrade a sniper rifle, and most Japanese airsoft's muzzle speed generally does not exceed 300FPS.
And if you want to own a GBBR, you should consider whether the neighbours will come to your house because of the noise of the GBBR.

Personally, it's best to keep your mom happy so you can talk about airsoft. And I'm a little curious that you don't seem to have much interest in handguns. When I was your age, I always liked short guns because they were easy to carry and hide.

I think my mums foot steps are louder than any GBBR ever made. @Dan Robinsoncan confirm. 

I like pistols, but I've always preferred rifles; I think its probably because the first thing I shot was a poachers shotgun, and liked the feeling of using my shoulders more, and not my wrist. I don't really need to carry and hide a pistol because I don't live near Luton, or Bedford anymore, and live in a country where people are afraid to tell people that they've dropped something. got a SIG right now, but I only really use it when my mums out with her friends. but even then, I miss a feeling of a rifle. 

On 31/10/2023 at 17:56, Herrgh said:

Fair point. Alright:

• Harajuku is always a good shout. Girls love Harajuku. There's a mameshiba cafe on Takeshita Street as well - 30min for 1000yen.
  • Yasukuni Shrine has great photo opportunities, but the subject matter might be a bit heavy for a date, at least at the beginning. Edit: As she's not fond of military stuff, avoid the Yushukan Museum which also located in the shrine complex.
  • Can't go wrong with Akiba in general. The prizes from UFO catchers/crane games make for great date memories (if you're financially prepared for it).
  • My wife informs me that the anime-related shops in Ikebukuro are aimed more at girls if that is her thing.
  • Hamasushi, the McDonald's of sushi. Avoid dinnertime.
  • I've not been, but I've heard Ueno Zoo is pretty good.

If you can afford it and can go further afield:

• Enoshima Island is the cliched thing to do.
  • Mount Takao is a good climb and easy to get to.
  • Moominvalley Park/metsa Village in Hanno is the kind of super cute place most girls love.
  • Take a Chuo Line limited express to Otsuki, then a Fujikyu train to Kawaguchiko, and then walk to Lake Kawaguchi. The view is amazing - I take my wife there for our anniversaries. Plus you're right by Mount Fuji so if the clouds aren't too low there are amazing pictures to be had. Maybe save this date for later.

Enoshima looks really nice. i think ive got the money for it, but I don't know if I can go for a day trip tbh. I cant get up early in the morning, she probably can, but it is a bit far away from where we usually meet up (Futako-Tamagawa).

knowing her, if I took her there, she would want to see almost everything, and take about a million photos. when i took her to a theme park, she took about 200 photos, 40 of them being of a Ferris wheel (although she is very good at photography.) 

18 hours ago, son of dan said:

Enoshima looks really nice. i think ive got the money for it, but I don't know if I can go for a day trip tbh. I cant get up early in the morning, she probably can, but it is a bit far away from where we usually meet up (Futako-Tamagawa).

knowing her, if I took her there, she would want to see almost everything, and take about a million photos. when i took her to a theme park, she took about 200 photos, 40 of them being of a Ferris wheel (although she is very good at photography.) 

I get that. I took over 3000 photos when I was in-country a few weeks ago (new high zoom lense.)

Don't go bankrupting yourself this early in the relationship though. No one should be expecting fancy trips to Enoshima at this stage. Keep it simple. Make it about spending time together instead of going to wondrous places - save that for later.

There is plenty to do that won't drain your wallet and can provide photo opportunities. Street photography is legitimate photography.

Other ideas:

• Showa Kinen Park in Tachikawa. Big bloody park with a JGSDF base next door. There is also a museum near the entrance (closest to Tachikawa station) dedicated to Emperor Showa. I didn't explore too much of it when I was there last, but Google Maps shows how big and varied the park is, so I bet there is plenty to do and see.
  • Can't believe I forgot this one: Koishikawa Korakuen Garden, right by Iidabashi/Suidobashi stations. Lovely landscape garden and only like 300 yen to get in if I remember right. However I don't know if its worth visiting in winter (we last went in sakura season).
  • Tokyo Government Metropolitan Building - the viewing platform on the top floor is free to the public, and the view is brilliant as expected.
  • You went to Skytree, so why not try the original Tokyo Tower - built to be slightly taller than the Eiffel Tower. You could pay money to walk up it, but it's just as impressive from the ground. More interesting colours than Skytree I think.
  • New Year's is coming up - there is bound to be some local festival you can visit. Very lovely for couples, which is a cliche but it's a cliche for a reason.
  • Ask her to teach you about her camera - that's a bonding activity that easily take an hour if she's technically knowledgeable about them. (I'm not, on the other hand. I shoot everything on auto and have no clue what most of the buttons do.)

On 05/11/2023 at 09:32, Herrgh said:

I get that. I took over 3000 photos when I was in-country a few weeks ago (new high zoom lense.)

Don't go bankrupting yourself this early in the relationship though. No one should be expecting fancy trips to Enoshima at this stage. Keep it simple. Make it about spending time together instead of going to wondrous places - save that for later.

There is plenty to do that won't drain your wallet and can provide photo opportunities. Street photography is legitimate photography.

Other ideas:

• Showa Kinen Park in Tachikawa. Big bloody park with a JGSDF base next door. There is also a museum near the entrance (closest to Tachikawa station) dedicated to Emperor Showa. I didn't explore too much of it when I was there last, but Google Maps shows how big and varied the park is, so I bet there is plenty to do and see.
  • Can't believe I forgot this one: Koishikawa Korakuen Garden, right by Iidabashi/Suidobashi stations. Lovely landscape garden and only like 300 yen to get in if I remember right. However I don't know if its worth visiting in winter (we last went in sakura season).
  • Tokyo Government Metropolitan Building - the viewing platform on the top floor is free to the public, and the view is brilliant as expected.
  • You went to Skytree, so why not try the original Tokyo Tower - built to be slightly taller than the Eiffel Tower. You could pay money to walk up it, but it's just as impressive from the ground. More interesting colours than Skytree I think.
  • New Year's is coming up - there is bound to be some local festival you can visit. Very lovely for couples, which is a cliche but it's a cliche for a reason.
  • Ask her to teach you about her camera - that's a bonding activity that easily take an hour if she's technically knowledgeable about them. (I'm not, on the other hand. I shoot everything on auto and have no clue what most of the buttons do.)

those are actually some really good places to go. I'll ask her if she wants to go to one of these places hopefully next weekend. thank you very much for all the ideas 👍@Dan Robinson might steal some of these ideas as well for when he comes over to Japan. 

Showa Kinen park caught my eye very quickly as it looks like a place I used to go to in England during lockdown a lot, and also an opportunity for her to fill up her phone storage. 

Koishikawa Korakuen Garden looks nice, but as you said, probably not worth going in winter as the trees are slowly dying around here, but looks nice for spring/autumn season (if we still go out together that is). 

Tokyo Tower does look really nice as well, and also a place I haven't been to yet, but a place she has been to. But knowing her, she would probably want to go so she can take a truck load of photos. tickets are surprisingly cheap compared to the Skytree, so I might have to go there at one point. 

New years events I'd like to do, but she's off to Russia to see family and friends; but no doubt there will be other events around late January, February time.  

On 05/11/2023 at 09:32, Herrgh said:

The primary purpose of the buttons is to make it do things that change the end results slightly, some models allow you to reprogramme what certain buttons do to suit your needs.  When you’ve had a camera set up with a few personal preset mode configurations

The secondary purpose of the buttons is that you can pick it up after a couple of years and wonder what the hell is going on as you can’t remember which is which out of ‘preset mode 1/2/3’ 

@son of dan an extension to @Herrghrecommending her teaching you something about her camera is to go out for a general photo day.  If you have a camera or she has two, then even have a go at each taking a photo of the same thing then comparing results

Presumably she will get the artistic element in quickly, and can guide you to how your photo could have compared to hers - or the contrast of your interpretation 

You can set themes for the day, or sign up to GuruShots and pick a challenge or two then try for some pictures to fit the brief

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/gurushots-photography/id1111221823

20 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Yes you have LOL

tokyo tower, not skytree. i havent been to tokyo tower

15 hours ago, son of dan said:

tokyo tower, not skytree. i havent been to tokyo tower

Oh grasshopper.....  us old folk have memories back to times long past.  Trust me....you've been.  I on the other hand have not.  Nor have I been to the Roku distillery in case you're thinking of inviting me to somewhere I'd find interesting. 😉🍻

• 1 month later...

update on dilemma. 

i got rejected. but she said "not now, maybe in the future".

hurt a little cant lie, but still seeing her on Saturday, so thats a result. 

• Supporters

Don't sweat it, be yourself & she'll come around 👍

4 minutes ago, son of dan said:

update on dilemma. 

• Supporters
30 minutes ago, son of dan said:

First time visiting the friendzone?  Emergency exits are located literally anywhere that any other girl is to be found, and use of them is highly recommended.

27 minutes ago, Tackle said:

she'll come around

... the instant she sees him with some other girl.

4 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

... the instant she sees him with some other girl.

100% this

Always want what they can’t have 😂

Shes maybe playing a wee bit hard to get, keep it cool, and be patient

Good chance it’ll work out 🤞

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.