Looking for a budget sight.

Yashy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Pretty generic budget red dot which should be perfectly adequate for some weekend skirmish action. 
Not expensive so a pretty good place start and fine out what you do or don’t like in an optic. 

Only thing I would say is that you may find that you want a riser for it as, depending or what face/eye protection you use, you may find it hard to get your check low enough to get a good sight picture. 

21 minutes ago, Hotweeweejef said:

Pretty generic budget red dot which should be perfectly adequate for some weekend skirmish action. 
Not expensive so a pretty good place start and fine out what you do or don’t like in an optic. 

Only thing I would say is that you may find that you want a riser for it as, depending or what face/eye protection you use, you may find it hard to get your check low enough to get a good sight picture. 

does it have really bad parallax? 

If you want a Holographic style optic, I have a SOTAC branded XPS3 from Ebay and it works a treat. Bright enough for use outdoors on a sunny day but doesn't have huge issues with parallax in my experience but it does exist, it always will with cheap airsoft optics. They're pushing the top end of 'budget' in airsoft but it's worth it.

Between that and my HolyWarrior S1 XPS3 I struggle to choose which is better. The HW S1 has an annoying habbit of not turning on/not accepting CR123A batteries, i've spent 20+ min finger fucking it before it works where the SOTAC one just turns on instantly, zero issues. The HW however has light levels low enough to be used with NVGs (for the ultra larpers that use them which rules out 99% of players) The SOTAC can be green or red reticule, whichever you prefer.

There's an ebay store called "mk1_tactical" who sells a lot of SOTAC branded gear. You'd likely benefit from their Comp M2 offering. A mistake people often mistake is buying an optic that is too low (due to face protection) meaning they have to bend their neck into a strange place to get a good sight picture. After realising their mistake they buy a riser. The Comp M2 i've linked earlier comes with the riser/mount meaning you're unlikely to have this issue.

Edited by MrTea

The picture in the first post isn't showing for me, but I think it'll look the same as the Walther 30mm red dot I have.

It looks too chunky when it's on the gun, makes it look a little top-heavy, so it's the sight that gets the least use.  Would look good on an LMG though, I guess.

If you want a decent and very cheap sight, the 'Battlefield 4 Coyote' sight is super cheap and really rather good, it's my preferred light weight sight.

KINGSCOPE Red Dot Scope 4 Reticles Reflex Sight for Hunting Airsoft Shooting with 20/22mm Weaver Picatinny Rail Mount https://amzn.eu/d/axbGrDd

Another vote for the Sotac if you want the Eotech sight, looks very good on most guns, especially the HK416

Here are the two sights on my Scarab

image.thumb.png.b5b590b5895c1891143ce7903b131a58.png1107435837_CAScarabGrip.thumb.jpg.efc67e755c8f41e557250fe4a54092a7.jpg

Note that they've both got Red Dot Engineering sight protectors fitted (so the Eotech looks squared-off)

Those protectors are widely recommended at about £10-12.  Available on eBay.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

10 hours ago, MrTea said:

There's an ebay store called "mk1_tactical" who sells a lot of SOTAC branded gear. 

I’ve used them for a few things and always found the prices to be reasonable and speed of postage to be quick.  I’ve not had one of the optics off them though, it’s only ever been weapon lights and mounts

As mentioned above, have a look at parallax error as you can stick the dot on a target and think you’re absolutely nailing it and be a foot wide of the mark because you haven’t got exactly the same cheek weld every time.  I got bored of this and stumped up for a Holosun 403B and whilst it’s a significant investment the BB’s go where the dot is every single time

I used to buy Aim-O but Feyachi is quite good as well.

Sotac or Holy Warrior would be a good alternative if you insist on an Eotech clone.

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Yashy said:

does it have really bad parallax? 

It's £25, make an educated guess.

Good optics cost money, that said airsoft guns are not so accurate that bad parallax actually makes much of a difference. It can be annoying but that's about it.

26 minutes ago, Hotweeweejef said:

I currently have the Feyachi mentioned above and it’s spot on for the money. 
Just upgraded to an Sig holographic clone as it suits my needs/play style better. 

What Romeo 8t clone do you have? Im deciding between that or a holywarrior eotech

• Supporters
23 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

KINGSCOPE Red Dot Scope 4 Reticles Reflex Sight for Hunting Airsoft Shooting with 20/22mm Weaver Picatinny Rail Mount https://amzn.eu/d/axbGrDd

Yup, sold under many brand names, including "PINTY". These work just fine for airsoft purposes where a breath of wind makes more difference than seconds of arc on your sight.

22 hours ago, Lozart said:

It's £25, make an educated guess.

Good optics cost money, that said airsoft guns are not so accurate that bad parallax actually makes much of a difference. It can be annoying but that's about it.

To me a bigger concern should be ghosting of the dot. I've had some red dot sights in which the dot is so bad you can't see where the bb went

On 11/09/2023 at 11:06, Cannonfodder said:

To me a bigger concern should be ghosting of the dot. I've had some red dot sights in which the dot is so bad you can't see where the bb went

On 11/09/2023 at 08:08, Rogerborg said:

Yup, sold under many brand names, including "PINTY". These work just fine for airsoft purposes where a breath of wind makes more difference than seconds of arc on your sight.

On 11/09/2023 at 08:08, Rogerborg said:

On 10/09/2023 at 18:12, Haru said:

What Romeo 8t clone do you have? Im deciding between that or a holywarrior eotech

On 10/09/2023 at 12:54, Haru said:

yeah i got the feyachi rds-25 seems price has gone up abit.

Wanna make a final decision before i order, should I go for this one? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Feyachi-RDS-36-1x22mm-Absolute-Co-Witness/dp/B08W41R168?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1 It hits my budget! If you have any slightly better sights, please link them! 

1879769368_DEM904Gsmallsight.jpg.e351b9a647605bc1331c7fd141b54eb3.jpg

There's a DE M904G with my dinky Aimpoint style sight on it.   Not the Feyachi, and it's no longer working consistently unfortunately, but it does look great on the gun.
I intend to get a replacement sometime, so your Feyachi (whichever you get) might well end up on my Xmas list!

Here's a picture of the larger sight I mentioned in my first post in this thread.  You can see why I say it's not such a good match for anything but big ol' DMRs or even LMGs, but I do believe this is much chunkier than the RDS-36 in your link. 

1437611897_DEM904Glargesight.jpg.f74e75907edbd05472749a51b91d71dc.jpg

• Supporters
26 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Here's a picture of the larger sight I mentioned in my first post in this thread.  You can see why I say it's not such a good match for anything but big ol' DMRs or even LMGs, but I do believe this is much chunkier than the RDS-36 in your link. 

1437611897_DEM904Glargesight.jpg.f74e75907edbd05472749a51b91d71dc.jpg

I'm confused about what you think is so chunky about this? I have an MP5 with a CompM2 clone on it and that looks fine to me! Almost as confused at the thought of a red dot being particularly useful on a DMR...

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Almost as confused at the thought of a red dot being particularly useful on a DMR...

Well, I picked DMR as being representative of a larger gun, maybe I should have said 'battle rifle' but that's longer to type.

Doesn't look like I've saved any typing now, does it 🥺🥴

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Well, I picked DMR as being representative of a larger gun, maybe I should have said 'battle rifle' but that's longer to type.

Doesn't look like I've saved any typing now, does it 🥺🥴

Makes sense!

When I read it I thought "that sounds about as useful at tits on a boar" but that's more information about the inner workings of my mind than ANYBODY needs.

On 09/09/2023 at 23:09, Yashy said:

I have a m4, and I found this cheap sight and wondering if anyone knows anything about it? https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/theta-optics-red-dot-1x30-airsoft-reflex-sight-for-20mm-ris-ras

K, so hold on to your hats every one. I actually have one of these, and yes you will need a riser for it or sights of this style if you use substantial eye/face protection. 

As far as Parallax is concerned, it would have to have Parallax to have bad parallax. It is a decent wide eye relief sight if is budget soft you are looking at, realistically I'd save another £25/30 and something else.

On 10/09/2023 at 00:07, MrTea said:

If you want a Holographic style optic, I have a SOTAC branded XPS3 from Ebay and it works a treat. Bright enough for use outdoors on a sunny day but doesn't have huge issues with parallax in my experience but it does exist, it always will with cheap airsoft optics. They're pushing the top end of 'budget' in airsoft but it's worth it.

Between that and my HolyWarrior S1 XPS3 I struggle to choose which is better. The HW S1 has an annoying habbit of not turning on/not accepting CR123A batteries, i've spent 20+ min finger fucking it before it works where the SOTAC one just turns on instantly, zero issues. The HW however has light levels low enough to be used with NVGs (for the ultra larpers that use them which rules out 99% of players) The SOTAC can be green or red reticule, whichever you prefer.

There's an ebay store called "mk1_tactical" who sells a lot of SOTAC branded gear. You'd likely benefit from their Comp M2 offering. A mistake people often mistake is buying an optic that is too low (due to face protection) meaning they have to bend their neck into a strange place to get a good sight picture. After realising their mistake they buy a riser. The Comp M2 i've linked earlier comes with the riser/mount meaning you're unlikely to have this issue.

I too have a SOTAC and HW XPS3, and also run into the issue with the CR123A's with the HW. The HW also seems to kill batteries rather fast for mine, there for I would recommend the SOTAC more. 

For the XPS3 clones, get rechargeable CR123As from eBay. This seller does 1 battery + a charger for under £10 - 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255389518441 (A)

I got this and am pretty happy so far. It's nice to know that, for a one-off cost, I don't need keep a stock of batteries on hand just to make sure I can always run the holo sight on game day. And you can always recharge off a powerbank!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.