The Abyss...

AirSniper

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Not the film... My car is a money abyss...

Wednesday AC working fine...

Thursday AC kaput... blowing hot air...

Not looking forward to having the AC sorted out... 

MOT is due in a couple of weeks, I wonder what that will throw up...

• Supporters

Cars are nothing but a money pit …. And My old Passat put me off German and internal combustion engined car’s for life!!!

i am now driving a very cheap to run Nissan leaf

• Supporters
1 hour ago, sp00n said:

😜

31f.jpg

16 hours ago, Pseudotectonic said:

fuse?

No because when I push the button for AC I can hear the engine labour from the clutch being engaged on the compressor.

The drop isn't as much as it normally would be so I am figuring that something is wrong with the compressor.

12 hours ago, AirSniper said:

No because when I push the button for AC I can hear the engine labour from the clutch being engaged on the compressor.

The drop isn't as much as it normally would be so I am figuring that something is wrong with the compressor.

Without looking at the car myself and checking components/listening for abnormal noises etc...   it could just need a regas, especially if it hasn't been done in a while.

There is a chance that there may be a leak though. If you have a UV torch (and UV resistant glasses for safety)  shine the torch around the compressor, pipes and condenser (small radiator for the AC) If there is a leak it will glow under UV light.

Failing that, book it in to any garage that offers an AC regas service and ask them to regas the system.  Part of the checks they have to do is a quick UV light check, then put the system under vacuum and check that it holds.  Average cost of a regas should be about £50-75 depending on the garage and should fix the issue most of the time

On 09/07/2023 at 10:33, Spartan09 said:

Without looking at the car myself and checking components/listening for abnormal noises etc...   it could just need a regas, especially if it hasn't been done in a while.

There is a chance that there may be a leak though. If you have a UV torch (and UV resistant glasses for safety)  shine the torch around the compressor, pipes and condenser (small radiator for the AC) If there is a leak it will glow under UV light.

Failing that, book it in to any garage that offers an AC regas service and ask them to regas the system.  Part of the checks they have to do is a quick UV light check, then put the system under vacuum and check that it holds.  Average cost of a regas should be about £50-75 depending on the garage and should fix the issue most of the time

I got the car booked in for the MOT thats due in a couple of weeks and said to the guy, if the car passes MOT then it needs to be looked at and a Regas is cheapest option as paying someone to poke and prod the system and scratching their nuts for 2 hours is going to cost more than a two regases.

He said that AC needs a minimum of 100g of gas to work properly, so its been 6 years and could be as simple as a schrader valve has failed causing gas to leak out, having watched several channels on youtube on vehicle repairs, AC is a popular item and if there is a leak, its very likely from there.

Going to ask them to put the dye in and see what happens...

On 08/07/2023 at 08:39, sp00n said:

Cars are nothing but a money pit …. And My old Passat put me off German and internal combustion engined car’s for life!!!

I love my Leaf - we're on our second now.  Certainly solved the argument me and SWMBO were having over getting  a manual or Automatic.  Best of all I am on a V2G scheme, so get £90 or so month back in the leccy.

Haven't changed a brake pad since 2018 either LOL.  Only downside is it doesn't like using Android Auto for sat nav and audio - the head unit keeps rebooting at random.  Although having Google maps in "overview mode" is usually fine.

Edited by Dan Robinson

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.