Buying a second hand loadout.

AirSniper

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am wondering what would be a fair depreciation value on a full load out.

I am currently basing my offer on a 25% depreciation value.

In the load out there is :

G&G CM16 Raider (+NiMH battery)

WE EU27 pistol (+ 2 additional magazines)

Full face masks (x2)

Carrier vest

Gloves

About 15,000 bb's

Charger

Hard Pistol case

Hard carry case (100cm)

Optics

I spent a fair bit of time hunting down prices on Defcon, BB Guns4less, Zeroone, Patrolbase and random retailers where items were not available anymore on Zero one which is where the guy seems to have bought his kit from, so he stumped up a bit of cash for it, however, top end valuation I have is at best brand new today is £600 and want to know what you guys thing a fair offer would be.

I have excluded a couple of items from the depreciation, namely the BB's and one of the face masks. My spreadsheet tells me that £400 would be a good offer.

Not knowing the condition of it all and the brands for the gear it's hard to say, but 60-70% of retail price is generally the norm

Just now, Cannonfodder said:

Not knowing the condition of it all and the brands for the gear it's hard to say, but 60-70% of retail price is generally the norm

I know, the guy keeps on reiterating that he paid a grand for the kit, however upper end I am finding is around £600 new, the CM16 for example I have found for £185 new, and I imagine when he bought it he paid near the £290 mark. 

Anyway, thanks for the input.

25% depreciation is only for high end and collectable items. For common stuff I would say more like 50-60% it in good condition. None of this stuff is particularly sought after.  

3 minutes ago, AirSniper said:

the guy keeps on reiterating that he paid a grand for the kit, however upper end I am finding is around £600 new

99.9% of the time prices go up over time not down so they're either talking out of their arse or know they were ripped off and so are trying to do the same to whoever buys it. Either way I'd walk away 

17 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

99.9% of the time prices go up over time not down so they're either talking out of their arse or know they were ripped off and so are trying to do the same to whoever buys it. Either way I'd walk away 

Obligatory "it's a great deal, really! This can only go up in value!" 🙄

• Supporters

In fact, buying such a mixed random loadout is actually more likely to saddle you with odd bits you don't need/want, so essentially your doing him a favour taking the tat as well as anything decent, so 50-60% is definitely the max I'd offer, if he don't like it, move on, nothing he's selling is particularly mouthwatering lol. 

@AirSniper

If you want all of the stuff then offer what you’re willing to pay 

If not then don’t.

He has the choice to sell partially or as a whole

A bundle is handy for a starter, but it’s never what they really want - like @tackle said - it’s a few ancilllary items that you may or may not use, potentially could sell or pass on items 

But most of these things in bundles end up in the bottom of a bag or back of a cupboard 

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Asomodai said:

25% depreciation is only for high end and collectable items. For common stuff I would say more like 50-60% it in good condition. None of this stuff is particularly sought after.  

Apologies mate, I just spotted that my earlier post essentially mimics everything you said, that'll teach me to read a thread properly lol.

1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

@AirSniper

If you want all of the stuff then offer what you’re willing to pay 

If not then don’t.

He has the choice to sell partially or as a whole

A bundle is handy for a starter, but it’s never what they really want - like @tackle said - it’s a few ancilllary items that you may or may not use, potentially could sell or pass on items 

But most of these things in bundles end up in the bottom of a bag or back of a cupboard 

Its a starting kit for someone who wants to continue to go to airsoft. So I have to work out what they can afford and what the seller will accept because the parents know nothing of the costs involved.

4 hours ago, AirSniper said:

Its a starting kit for someone who wants to continue to go to airsoft. So I have to work out what they can afford and what the seller will accept because the parents know nothing of the costs involved.

Guns are an essential.  It’s then a matter of which guns will suit them (and a sidearm isn’t essential to all players, so depends on site rules such as close up and if they will really switch rather than just end up carrying extra weight :

G&G CM16 Raider (+NiMH battery)

WE EU27 pistol (+ 2 additional magazines)

Charger

They ultimately will need BBs, but do they need a starting bulk 15000?  Presumably it’s a suitable brand weight that they will use with those guns.  But in their package purchase it’s a consumable rather than added value:

About 15,000 bb's

Are the optics relevant to them?  Will they actually use them?  Would they choose and use that type/brand/magnification ?

Optics

Luggage is an essential, hard cases are better than bags, but dedicated cases can also end up meaning that you carry more separate things and find that you need a case for each gun plus a bag for the rest.

Are they wanted / needed / desired one day ?

Hard Pistol case

Hard carry case (100cm)

A vest seems essential, something is needed to carry things in game.  But will it be one they would choose/use, or one that they will take from the bundle just because it’s included ?

Carrier vest

Gloves are a wise thing to have and take care of fingers - but would they choose them and very importantly will they fit?

Gloves

Eye protection is essential.  But even though I have numerous sets of goggles, including multiple sets of the same goggles in different colours (even a set in an obscure colour mix that I bought new and still painted for photography & marshaling)

There was a point in time that ‘last seasons’ colour schemes went on sale and were the same as or cheaper than new lenses

But they don’t need two to start with.  Are they ones that they would choose ?

Are they in decent condiition?  (Lens, straps where applicable

Full face masks (x2)

In a bundle, to the buyer anything that they would not choose to buy separately has a value of nothing 

Anything the buyer would use today and replace shortly has some value, but diverts money from what they could be spending on something more preferred

People may not be too keen in airsoft, and full face is often for only those under 18 who are required to wear them before going for smaller glasses etc ……

But (especially with my background, accompanied by seeing BBs pass peoples ‘eye protection’) ……

I recommend paintball goggles, or at least ski mask style goggles 

Good but entry level paintball goggles cost in the region of £20 - £30

‘Premium’ paintball goggles can be had for £60 to £100 (and of course more)

They need to be tried on to see how the fit is for anyone’s individual head.

I have some Valkn/Annex goggles which are the most basic plastic which I bought only for the colour scheme - they fit my head perfectly and are very confortable

My preferred goggles are VForce Grills which are a ‘premium’ and I have many sets, others have come out fetching higher prices but don’t suit my head as well 

(there’s one other that fits me like a glove, but made it to prototype only so are not an option)

• Supporters

60% of lowest current retail for anything that I did want (and I wouldn't want to pay 60% of the current retail for a G&G Raider), zero (or maybe postage costs) for anything that I didn't. Just tell the seller straight up what you actually want, and what you're willing to pay for it.

But really, there's nothing there that you can't get individually elsewhere, so there's no incentive to go chasing after someone who got mugged and who now "kNoWs wHaT ThIs iS WoRtH AlL DaY LoNg, MaTe."

Let them sit on it until they come to their senses, or split it up.

10 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

60% of lowest current retail for anything that I did want (and I wouldn't want to pay 60% of the current retail for a G&G Raider), zero (or maybe postage costs) for anything that I didn't. Just tell the seller straight up what you actually want, and what you're willing to pay for it.

But really, there's nothing there that you can't get individually elsewhere, so there's no incentive to go chasing after someone who got mugged and who now "kNoWs wHaT ThIs iS WoRtH AlL DaY LoNg, MaTe."

Let them sit on it until they come to their senses, or split it up.

I had asked what they were looking for, when they couldn't come up with a number I said I will look in to how much it costs today (realising that things are more expensive these days) even look at top price I found it hard to get to the claimed value when purchased.

I know what £1,000 looks like as I have spent just over £2,000 on kit and other items. The RIF's cost me £270 no batteries and since then I spent another £130 on each adding tracer and a better ETU unit and batteries. Then there are all the pistols I bought, spent nearly £800 on pistols and a bout £300 on kit like vests. So after doing my research, find that at most, todays value is around £615.

So I will make my offer and let them think about it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.