Reasonably priced lightweight chest rig

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

For us fatbois, wearing a full MK4 plate armour is heavy going in this heat. 

Any recommendations for something that doesn't make you look like the Simpsons' Jeff Albertson trying to hold his Sodas, and a mean fighting machine wanting to hold a few mags and a BB supply.  

Preferably not belt mounted. 

Tah muchly in advance. 

I’ve got a couple of HSGI AO Small chest rigs which are comfortable and light weight.  On the plus side you can mount what you like, but it’s going to be slightly more bulky than a preset setup 

IMG_2708.jpeg

IMG_2200.jpeg

Edited by Duff Beer
Added photos of both loadouts for illustration

• Supporters

Like @Duff Beer, I too have a hsgi ao rig, yep it's very good, only downside is if your a wee bit porky it can look kinda silly & almost exaggerate ones porkiness.

In over 20 years of playing, & subsequently bouncing between load carrying kit trying to find the perfect solution, gotta say that the bulle mle is as close to perfection as your gonna find, I have two & no matter what I try, I always go back to them. 

I also use molle bandoleers, again when set up right it's awesome (for me😏). 

https://www.flecktarn.co.uk/odtmb2nx.html

14 hours ago, TacticalWaifu said:

Comic-Book-Guy.jpg

I'm also 6'7" so the 130kg is kinda stretched upwards , so not quite as bad as old Jeff, but the risk is real.

Going to have a look at @Duff Beer and @Tackle suggestions now while I wait for an interesting ebay auction to come to an end.

Scroll forward 10 minutes 

That Bulle looks really good.  Might go for this one https://www.flecktarn.co.uk/sdtav1nx.html as it will not look too daft with my mtp trousers and UBAC shirt. And I think the price is great with the pouches assuming the build quality is up there. 

Edited by Dan Robinson

33 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

That Bulle looks really good.  Might go for this one https://www.flecktarn.co.uk/sdtav1nx.html as it will not look too daft with my mtp trousers and UBAC shirt. And I think the price is great with the pouches assuming the build quality is up there. 

Assuming it’s the same one he was using back in the day Tackle’s rig has lasted nearly 20 years.  At one point nearly our whole team was using one.  I’m all about the super lightweight, but I’ll concede the Bulle would be more comfy when loaded up

14 hours ago, Duff Beer said:

I’ve got a couple of HSGI AO Small chest rigs which are comfortable and light weight.  On the plus side you can mount what you like, but it’s going to be slightly more bulky than a preset setup 

IMG_2708.jpeg

IMG_2200.jpeg

You are somewhat more svelte than I am 😄

SmartSelect_20230618_131246_Photos.thumb.jpg.c8c6f1cbd062fdba6831d298de85c595.jpg

• Supporters
46 minutes ago, Duff Beer said:

Assuming it’s the same one he was using back in the day Tackle’s rig has lasted nearly 20 years.  At one point nearly our whole team was using one.  I’m all about the super lightweight, but I’ll concede the Bulle would be more comfy when loaded up

It is mate, has served me very well, plus picked up another one to dye black.

My son & his GF both have the bulle M4 rig as well, no complaints 👍

1 hour ago, Dan Robinson said:

You are somewhat more svelte than I am 😄

Nah, I’ve still got a BMI of over 9000!, I just hide it well.  Where are you based?  If you’re down near Invicta you’re welcome to take mine for a spin and see how you get on with it.

Somewhere in the cupboards I’ve got a Tactical Tailor Mini Mav, which is as minimalist as you can go without just sticking the mags in your pockets!

We're near Hitchin, but I'll check dates and see if we can match a trip to my dad's near Eastbourne with a game day before the boy goes in August (assuming you mean the site in Kent) ....or frankly once he's gone, I'll be able to do more or less what I want anyway LOL

I suspect my inner child and adult wallet will see my buying it anyway 😁

41 minutes ago, Duff Beer said:

Nah, I’ve still got a BMI of over 9000!, I just hide it well.  Where are you based?  If you’re down near Invicta you’re welcome to take mine for a spin and see how you get on with it.

Somewhere in the cupboards I’ve got a Tactical Tailor Mini Mav, which is as minimalist as you can go without just sticking the mags in your pockets!

I've had one of these for years.

https://www.military1st.co.uk/13532001-mil-tec-mag-carrier-chest-rig-olive.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1rqkBhCTARIsAAHz7K0zZE5JwihFAcWtvn4IqydQDCQ3-AGT5VD-X_47cCviYRnyrWFGqoEaAtA4EALw_wcB

Not Cool. Not available in any gucci colours, but it's a slightly bigger 'light' rig that is cheap, well enough constructed for BBwarz and has an appropriate amount of coverage for more...ahem...'portly' gentlemen.

https://www.flecktarn.co.uk/odtmb2nx.html

Recommended by several people. *

I use a Chicom rig.  Cheap as dirt if your using an AK.

Reinforcing the stitching and using an M16 bandolier is about as light as you can go, if your mags fit.  

You can get these from TGs UK partner: https://www.taiwangun.com/chest-rig/hybrid-chest-rig-olive-8fields  TBH your spoiled for choice just with the cheapo 8 Fields gear.  The skeleton rig is ultra lightweight and like the the micro rig is ultra customisable.   Not Bulle quality though. 

* Just realised it's already been mentioned!   

Edited by Tactical Pith Helmet

The "problem" with molle rigs is that money adds up quickly when considering pouches.

With that being said, I had a TT mini mav for a while and I really liked it, I ran it on either a simple triple M4 pouch or a double + a 4x3 GP.

The only "downside", if we can call it that way, is that it's not swift clip compatible so you can't strap it to a plate carrier, if that's your jam.

Failing that, the Helikon TMR, it's €100 but it's very well made, even though it has fixed pouches it takes M4 and Ak mags just fine. A subgun insert can be jerry rigged (thanks to @SgtTalbert's idea), but tough cookies if you run AR-10/7.62x51 style guns).

If scalability (and future proofness) is a requirement, then you can't go wrong with the Ammo Hub from @TheFull9, it's not the cheapest solution but it's very well made and it'll take any insert/pouch you want. Doesn't come with a harness so you'll have to pick your own too.

I really like my Condor Ops chest rig.  You can get their pre-set chest rigs for about £60 if that's your range.  They do a similar rig to the Bulle above but I like having a bit more MOLLE up front -

https://www.military1st.co.uk/mcr6-001-condor-rapid-assault-chest-rig-olive-drab.html

I got the un-built one and added my own Flecktarn pouches, along with the "bib" and the hydro harness.  Its a great modular platform.

If you don't mind a used one, you can pick up the PLCE NI chest rigs on eBay from anywhere between £20-40 depending on the condition. They'll comfortably hold 6 magazines, plus ammo and water in the side pouches. No MOLLE to worry about, but good luck finding one that isn't in woodland DPM 😂

Well G&T number two last night saw the inevitable use of the quick fill function of my web browser.   

😎

Will see how it fits when it comes - plate carrier was left outside last night to get a rinse off in the rain as it was rather funky by the end of Saturday's efforts.  Nearly got one on eBay that was the next size up, but some one outbid me by £1.  Hey ho.  Hopefully it will get here in time for Saturday's trip to Spec Ops.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.