Magnum boots, are they crap?

Cannonfodder

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know that years ago Magnum were considered to be the go to brand for light weight boots, till they moved production abroad (China iirc) and the quality dropped. So my question is have they improved, or are they still crap? 

• Supporters

I wore them daily for years, literally bought my first pair about 32 years ago (back then they were great) , but having seen a gradual decrease in the quality, both in workmanship & design, & particularly in the materials used, such as the "leather" that isn't really leather. I gave up after the last pair I bought, costing in excess of £90, failed after a couple of months of light use. 

Never again😡

Depends on the price really.  For £50 no, but for £80 yes.  Like Tackle I used to wear them solidly because they were cheap, but I went through them at such a rate that a decent pair of boots would have cost me the same and lasted longer.  

I use Lowe Zephyr GTX’s now which are comfy and, importantly, waterproof.  You can get them for about £135 and if you can stretch to them (or something of equivalent quality) then I would.  As the old adage goes, I’m too poor to buy cheap shoes!

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Duff Beer said:

Depends on the price really.  For £50 no, but for £80 yes.  Like Tackle I used to wear them solidly because they were cheap, but I went through them at such a rate that a decent pair of boots would have cost me the same and lasted longer.  

I use Lowe Zephyr GTX’s now which are comfy and, importantly, waterproof.  You can get them for about £135 and if you can stretch to them (or something of equivalent quality) then I would.  As the old adage goes, I’m too poor to buy cheap shoes!

There's the thing, I bought a pair of those, loved the look & the build quality

BUT

Sold them within a month, couldn't get on with them & they were agony on me within an hour every time I tried to wear them. 

Whenever boots get mentioned I'm always quick to remind people that boots are like eyepro, we're all different so a perfect fit isn't guaranteed. 

(prob doesn't help I'm missing a toe & the others are trying to spread to fill the gap, not a good look lol

#monkeyfoot🦍

My current go to boots are Tactical Research minimalist, cross between a military boot & boxing boot, super lite & comfy. 

I also got a pair of Aku's recently that I've yet to try properly, one can only hope🤞🙏

Vimes Boots

I buy Lowa now, Renegade GTX.

They last about two years, one year of everyday general use, then passed onto horse duty for a year of every day (literally, every day), traipsing over a mile through muddy fields (so muddy in the middle of winter I need walking crampons) and then mucking out stables all winter.

Washed with cold water every day and left to dry indoors until the following morning once on horse duty.

Easily the best boots I’ve ever owned, no breaking in period, just buy one size larger than normal.

Lowa Renegade

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll pass on them if the buuld quality is still shit

I had a look ar some Magnums a couple of months ago.   Horrible cheap wafer thin leather.  The screws in our local nick all used to wear them for years,  but I notice that they wear a variety of brands now.  

Like you I've funny shaped feet, and find that the Lowa fit well but only if you get the right width fitting.   Same for Haix.   

On 06/01/2023 at 13:57, Tackle said:

There's the thing, I bought a pair of those, loved the look & the build quality

BUT

Sold them within a month, couldn't get on with them & they were agony on me within an hour every time I tried to wear them. 

Whenever boots get mentioned I'm always quick to remind people that boots are like eyepro, we're all different so a perfect fit isn't guaranteed. 

(prob doesn't help I'm missing a toe & the others are trying to spread to fill the gap, not a good look lol

#monkeyfoot🦍

My current go to boots are Tactical Research minimalist, cross between a military boot & boxing boot, super lite & comfy. 

I also got a pair of Aku's recently that I've yet to try properly, one can only hope🤞🙏

If you have bought issue AKU Pilgrim boots, take them back if you can.  The heels wear down very quickly and they are far from being waterproof, despite the GoreTex lining.

Edited by Colin Allen

• Supporters
On 06/01/2023 at 08:21, Cannonfodder said:

I know that years ago Magnum were considered to be the go to brand for light weight boots, till they moved production abroad (China iirc) and the quality dropped. So my question is have they improved, or are they still crap? 

Original Magnums (back when they were still branded by Hi-Tec) were great and cheap. Now they're worse than the cheap copies and more expensive than they have any right to be.

I tried Lowa Zephyrs but while they're incredibly light they don't seem to be available in their wide last fitting so they were just too narrow for me. Merrell work for my feet so I have a pair of MOAB III for walking the dog and MOAB Tactical 8" for the pews. Light, Goretex lined, grippy (unless it's proper boggy). Not super cheap but certainly better than Magnums.

Thing is, you can get all the opinions you like from all over but unless they fit YOU, then no boot is going to be great. Get to an outdoor shop and try some on.

I've got a few pairs of various Magnums, but haven't worn any of them for airsoft. They just seem too flimsy, lacking decent ankle support and I question their ability to keep water out, despite being Gore-Tex. Thankfully I didn't have to pay for them.

At the moment I wear Haix hi-legs, which are well broken in, very comfortable and great for keeping your feet dry. However, they are becoming pretty work down on the sole, so I'm actually going to have to part with cash for a replacement. Looking at Lowa, Altberg and Salomons at the moment.

As @Lozartsays, most important thing is actually trying them on before buying, and don't underestimate the worth of a decent pair of natural-fibre socks. 

Thanks for all the replies. Just to be clear, I was asking about the quality, not the fit. 

If it’s build quality you want sir the blue Moskva sneakers are for you.

Finest Ankh-morpork rat skin sewn with, well you don’t really want to know that…

Ideal for invading Sto Lat if I do say so myself.

Or my names not CMOT Dibbler.

Edited by The Waco Kid

• Supporters
2 hours ago, The Waco Kid said:

If it’s build quality you want sir the blue Moskva sneakers are for you.

Finest Ankh-morpork rat skin sewn with, well you don’t really want to know that…

Ideal for invading Sto Lat if I do say so myself.

Or my names not CMOT Dibbler.

Ah but the boots theory of socioeconomic unfairness kicks in at some point, surely?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.