I haven't received an email with my ukara number

Cretamin

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I submitted an application form at my local field about 3 weeks ago but haven't heard anything back yet. I know there shouldn't be anything wrong with the application as my brother did it at the same time as me and has had an email with his ukara number about a week later. We've played the same number of games at that site together and submitted the form together so I would have assumed that we would both get it at the same time.

Could it be an issue that we both live at the same address and have the same last name or something? Or could it just be they've got my email wrong? What's the best way of finding out if it's gone through? 

Call your local site and ask🤔

1 hour ago, Cretamin said:

I submitted an application form at my local field about 3 weeks ago but haven't heard anything back yet. I know there shouldn't be anything wrong with the application as my brother did it at the same time as me and has had an email with his ukara number about a week later. We've played the same number of games at that site together and submitted the form together so I would have assumed that we would both get it at the same time.

Could it be an issue that we both live at the same address and have the same last name or something? Or could it just be they've got my email wrong? What's the best way of finding out if it's gone through? 

Any unusual elements to your email? Like an underscore, or the number 5 that could have been mistaken  for an S ?

I’ve had several like that recently

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Shamal said:

Call your local site and ask🤔

That. UKARA numbers are really site membership numbers, it's all between them and UKARA. There's even an app for it now, last time I got one it was handed out on the spot by the site.

10 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

That. UKARA numbers are really site membership numbers, it's all between them and UKARA. There's even an app for it now, last time I got one it was handed out on the spot by the site.

I see thanks I'll call them tomorrow. I thought it was separate and the site just confirmed I was an active player. 

• Supporters
44 minutes ago, Cretamin said:

I thought it was separate and the site just confirmed I was an active player. 

UKARA is a centralised scheme, but the numbers are site specific, and they're best placed to figure out what went wrong and sort it out.

12 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

Any unusual elements to your email? Like an underscore, or the number 5 that could have been mistaken  for an S ?

I’ve had several like that recently

This 👆🏻
We can do it on the spot through the app

Registered player gets the confirmation email pretty much immediately 

Double check your email addy with the site for a typo 👍

13 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Ahh finally the site owner / admin have their own app to update directly?  

So the site owners get a fancy new App, but will us mere mortals ever get the player self-check function back? Made UKARA verification on private sales much easier. 

*edit* That was a rhetorical question....

Edited by Speedbird_666

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

Ahh finally the site owner / admin have their own app to update directly?  

Yes, it's not mentioned on the UKARA site, but I was issued a number on the spot by the site, and told that it would be active on the UKARA site immediately - the email from UKARA is just confirmation of that.

3 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

will us mere mortals ever get the player self-check function back? Made UKARA verification on private sales much easier. 

If I were a retailer paying £300 (or whatever it is now) a year to get access to UKARA, I'd be questioning the value of that if Joe Public can do it free and gratis.  I know that there's at least one retailer who will check UKARA numbers for private sellers, which is rather baffling.

13 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

f I were a retailer paying £300 (or whatever it is now) a year to get access to UKARA, I'd be questioning the value of that if Joe Public can do it free and gratis.  I know that there's at least one retailer who will check UKARA numbers for private sellers, which is rather baffling.

Its not just checking, it’s being able to add your players with your sites exclusive format as well 👍🏻

28 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

If I were a retailer paying £300 (or whatever it is now) a year to get access to UKARA, I'd be questioning the value of that if Joe Public can do it free and gratis.

Yeh I get it - I just like to whinge about it....😉

• Supporters
2 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

Its not just checking, it’s being able to add your players with your sites exclusive format as well 👍🏻

For clarity, my understanding is that retailers pay for UKARA, not sites.  Sites add their players to it, retailers check it to adduce their defence.  Granted some sites are also retailers, but I'm talking about pure retailers.

If they didn't have to pay for access to check, why would they?

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

For clarity, my understanding is that retailers pay for UKARA, not sites.  Sites add their players to it, retailers check it to adduce their defence.  Granted some sites are also retailers, but I'm talking about pure retailers.

That's correct, well it was when I enquired last time.  Any system will need to be paid for one way or another I suppose, it's something I've discussed with the developer before.  

• Supporters
2 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

Any system will need to be paid for one way or another I suppose, it's something I've discussed with the developer before.  

It'll be a tough market to break into, I'm fascinated to know how they're going to get past the Catch-22 of persuading any sites to use a scheme before any retailers have signed up, and vice versa. 

Sites have no incentive to use anything else since there's zero cost to them or their players.  Retailers are already paying to use UKARA, so aren't going to be in a hurry to pay another scheme.

I genuinely wish them the best of luck, they'll need it.

I think one of the biggest issues with getting anyone to sign up to an alternative to ukara is that there have been so many attempts in the past, of which 90% didn't go anywhere. Anyone remember Project Luther? 

Edited by Cannonfodder

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

No.

Illustrating the problem.

Same, its tricky because ukara has had years to build up recognition with sites, retailers and even non-airsoft entities like customs and courier companies.

Thats a hell of a mountain for any new system has to climb especially in the early days when folk will be hesitant to adopt in case it doesnt work out.

I say that in the hope, if not perhaps expectation that some day a hero will arise.

What I meant to put in my earlier post was that many of us old gits have seen these alternatives come and go

Project Luther appeared about 10 years ago and the people behind it were claiming it was an all singing and dancing alternative to ukara run "by players for players". Iirc it died when people realised it did nothing that ukara didn't do, but you had to pay an annual fee

Edited by Cannonfodder

The proof of the pudding would be:

1) Would I be able to sign up?

2) Would I manage to make a purchase under its defence?

I don’t play Airsoft 

I do get involved with Airsoft 

I could reasonably claim that any purchase I attempt would be for the purposes of Airsoft skirmishing at a suitably insured site *

Except for the limited edition Agency twin Hitman pistol set:

At my friendly retailer …..

Look at our shiney things

Will you sell them to me

No

You know that I do run some airsoft?

Yes

You know that I could produce a complete game format, rules and structure reliant on those pistols in the next half an hour?

Yes

Would you sell them to me?

No

Would you believe me if I said I’ve become an airsofter?

Collapsed in a hysterical fit 

Yep a massive uphill struggle - bit of a nightmare to be honest and not something I would want to take on. 

From what little I know..

- There is no charge to retailers
- For site admins they would have an app which would scan a QR code of the players UID on the day, has an offline facility for places out in the sticks

- Supports multi-site visits

- Once reached the 3 visits in no less than 2 months the player can generate a one-time URL when they want to provide proof to a retailer or 3rd party private sale etc.

- Player can view their own data, when and where they have played

• Supporters
3 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

Supports multi-site visits

Well, there's your USP... at least for players.

Problem is, that's a dis-incentive for sites to use it, as the current system has site loyalty as a feature (for them, a bug for players).

I really do hope that it takes off, but I'm struggling to see how it's going to get traction.

5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I really do hope that it takes off, but I'm struggling to see how it's going to get traction.

This. It's got to be better than some of the other bullshit defences accepted by some retailers

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.