Gun shooting low fps

aisoftunicorn

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Sooo I’m having a disaster with my 1st gun I’m new to the sport, 4 games under my belt.

but anyhoo bought my gun took it to play got it crono came up at 210😤🤯 wtf I was thinking in my head matey at the field told me to get a m100 spring and that should do the job took it bk to the shop they put a m100 spring in it and it’s only upped it to 310 they basically saying I bought a budget gun so what do I expect( errrrr for it to hit 350 as it’s advertised)  My question is has anyone got a gun out the box shooting under 300 as the guy in the shop said even if I get a TM MK18 it would still be shooting below 300 I think there just chatting waffle to get my warranty to run out any help would be useful. As I’m new I just don’t know how to go about it 

cheers pew pew fam 

Much more detailing needed. Have you taken the gun back to where you bought it? I would take it back and buy elsewhere as it sounds like they are not very helpful.

also depends where you get it from too. some shops don't change the springs after they are imported and they come out over 350

had a cyma AK like that, shop site said 340 and it was 390

Edited by strykerles

TM's are generally about 280 due to law where they are manufactured but they come with magic TM dust that makes them perform like nothing else.

Yours does sound a bit low however if an m100 took it to 310 then an m110 would probably get it very close to 350 HOWEVER 350 is the max limit, not a target. 

Try not to get too wound up in numbers, it's not a race to get as close to 350 as you can. Most of my stuff I run at 1J (328 with a 0.2) and I play HPA so could easily push up. If the rest of the gun is working well and you have your hop set well then it'll go about as far, as fast with as much range. 

350 to 310 is the difference between hitting your target at range on either then knee or the shin.

• Supporters

First and most important question is what IS the gun and what make is it ? Without those details two simple details you’ll never get a decent answer because no one on here can give you a decent answer without this knowledge . Savvy ? 👍

Ps be prepared for a million and one answers once you DO supply said info ! 😳

🤣🤣🤣

• Supporters

What weight ammo are you using?

Because the "350 fps" limit sites advertised is actually "350fps using 0.2g" so if your using anything heavier the raw fps number will be lower even if the kinetic energy in joules (the number that matters) is the same.

The fps being lower due to heavier ammo isn't a disadvantage, in fact contrary to what you might think the slower heavier round actually goes further thanks to the magic of the magnus effect (aka hop).

As others have said, being a bit under the limit (that is joules, not raw fps) isnt so bad, although assuming you're using 0.2g ammo then it sounds like you're a bit under.

One thing to look for next time you chrono is the consistency in the fps, eg if its shooting 310 is every shot 310 or is there variation (eg 310 +/- 20fps), as a big variation is gonna be a sign of poor air seal (which results in shit accuracy)

I see you posted this on one of Facebook groups also, I only glanced at a few replies are comical.

It's a Specna arms right?  Without fully knowing what spring is actually installed it's difficult to know how bad the problem is.  You mentioned a M100 but the ship could be just saying that judging on the fps drop. They could have fitted the M120 or M110, plus different brands are different powers etc.

You say you've used it for 4 games, over what period of time?  Probably loss of compression in the piston head, cylinder head, nozzle, bucking etc combined with the cheap Chinese spring losing its power.  Could even be something as simple as a regrease and oring.

If still in warranty the store should have opened it up to check though, wouldn't have taken long.  

Edited by ak2m4

• Jedi_Master changed the title to Gun shooting low fps
  • Supporters

310fps with a 0.2g BB is about 0.9J which isn't awful.  It should be a little higher with an M100 spring, and as @ak2m4says, that's down to air seal.  The seal on my Specna Arms Edge 1 isn't great, and it wanted the o-rings seen to out of the box.

Airsoft guns aren't precision engineering; they're very over-priced toys.  It's a matter for celebration when you get them dialled in, but you can have fun with a sub-optimal gun - as long as your enjoyment is based on the performance in the bushes rather than numbers on the bench.

"Matey at the field" wasn't wrong about M100 being a decent default choice, but here's the thing: when you tell an airsoft tech exactly what to do, you don't get to blame them when your instructions don't result in the outcome you were expecting.

There are three pretty simple things you can do yourself to try and get the power up.

One, clean the hop rubber and barrel.  You should be doing this regularly anyway.

Two, put some silicone spray into the nozzle, let it sink into the o-rings, then blow it out with some auto bursts before re-assembling.

If that doesn't help, then try an M110 spring.  Specnas have a simple enough spring change system; you just need a long Phillips or JIS screwdriver to take the bolt out from inside the buffer tube.  Once the tube is off, the spring guide and spring come out and go back in easily enough.

YouTube will provide videos for disassembly, and spring changing.  The sooner you learn, the sooner you won't be at the mercy of well meaning mateys or techs.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.