Next rifle recommendations.

Guest Jimmydee333

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guest Jimmydee333

Hi guys. 

I've been 'airsofting' for the past 2 years using a g&g cm16 and it's served me really well. However I've now become quite the regular and would like to level up to a new rifle. 

Could anyone recommend a natural step up from the Cm16. 

M4 type, 

Around £250 - £300 price range

Electric 

I'm not the techy type so somthing that dsnt break. 

Any help would be great. 

Thanks

James. 

there is not really levelling up in airsoft pretty much all guns perform roughly the same out the the box. more money will get  you nicer parts more features but you are not going to see amazing leaps in performance. what do you actually want? another Armalite? personally for that money TM P90, TM AUG High Cycle, 2d hand TM G36 recoil, CYMA M14 (well under budget you could get multiple guns). 

30 minutes ago, Jimmydee333 said:

I'm not the techy type so somthing that dsnt break. 

Any help would be great. 

Thanks

James. 

Ahh the mystical,magical unbreakable gnu. We are all searching for that. Lol

Although saying that my ares 013 has never let me down in four years. 

Regards 

Pfft... M4, Electric, 250-300 quid... take your pick at the myriad of offerings out there.

Just a suggestion, but if you fancy something a bit different, there's some other designs that use M4 mags. Tavor, SA80, F2000, etc.

• Supporters

As the man above says, why not get a different platform that takes the m4 mags you already own, that way you've got something that feels "new" & different, & you've always got a compatible backup should either of them fail mid game, makes a lot of sense. 

I'd take a gander at some of the threads on DE M4s perhaps.   

The CM16 is a doddle to upgrade mind.  High torque motor £25 from Aliexpress, ZCI barrel at less than £20, Maple Leaf hop rubber and knock off Omega nub £10-12, ZCI hop unit £10 and you have a gun as good as any.  Take you an hours easy fiddling with YouTube guides.  Only tools required are a pencil or similar to push a pin free to open it up.  Easy as picking your nose.  

Never get your money back if you sell, but less than a quarter of your budget.   

• Supporters

It's a tricky one, and all the suggestions above are perfectly valid (plus G36 with a magwell adaptor).

On upgrading the G&G, it does make sense, but then so does having an unmeddled-with backup or loaner, and that's also where they shine.

Since airsoft is more heart-over-head, I think this is the key question:

14 hours ago, BigStew said:

what do you actually want? another Armalite?

What's your honest, knee jerk, first response to "airsoft erection"?

Personally, I wouldn't get another AR-15 style rifle as I like variety (yes, yes, I know I'm a rampant hypocrite with 2x VSRs and an m700, 2x M14s and 2x mk23s). I'd get a Cyma AKM instead, as it'll allow you to expand into a wider variety of loadouts, whether it's RUSFOR or a typical "bad guy" loadout; plus, if you decide to go to milsim or filmsim events they may have weapon requirements, so having a variety of rifles gives you options for what type of games you want to try out and go for. You can get a metal/real wood Cyma AK for £200 and it'll shoot pretty nicely out of the box. https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/cyma-cm-048m-ak47-airsoft-real-wood-aeg

Once I have that as a backup, I'd upgrade whichever I liked more and keep the other one as a backup (well, I'd upgrade both of them because I like to live dangerously and have been teching my own guns for about a decade). As has been said earlier in the thread, you can get a ZCI barrel for about £20 and then a maple leaf macaron and omega nub for another £15. £35 will have your gun firing really nicely and barrel/hop up modifications are super easy to do; it's only when you open up the gearbox do things get more complex, but most guns these days come at about 1J out of the box in the UK, which is all you need. Yes, there are more modifications you can do to an AEG, but a simple barrel/hop up change will see the most gains for the cheapest investment and easiest installation.

Take my words with a pinch of salt though, as I like my GBBRs and HPA/spring snipers. Not a massive fan of AEGs.

Guest Jimmydee333

Wow! That's a lot of useful info guys! And super speedy. I know M4s are super common, I'm just a sicker for that design. I also like the idea of getting a second rifle and then attempting to upgrade my original cm16. 

Thoughts on this? 

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-sa-a03-m-chaos-carbine-bronze-edition

I'm sure it's not a massive leap. But I do like the look and people seem positive about them. 

• Supporters

I honestly can't recommend Specna Arms at the moment.  I got lucky with my Edge SA-E02 but the quality control isn't great, the gearboxes are suspect, and they have magazine compatibility issues.

If you do go for one, I'd suggest stretching to one of the Edge 2.0 models as they come with a Gate Aster mosfet with a fair amount of options.

The Double Eagle M9XX models are getting a lot of love right now and also come with burst mode options.  Stocking is the problem right now, you're lucky to find anything.  The M916G is in stock at the time of writing though https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/double-eagle-m916g-utr556?pv=17877 and offers something a little visually different from the typical loads-o-rails.

Posted in another thread.. but here you go...

Try this on for size... (apologies for the rubbish shop it's at, stock is tricky to find at the moment)

https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/double-eagle-m908a-ar15-rifle-with-falcon-system-in-black.html

It's out of stock at Patrolbase but the page is easier to read...

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/double-eagle-m908a-fire-control-system-edition

Other variations in stock / receiver / length / rail system are available.  Once you drop down to the 904's I think they're all polymer receiver but some might still have metal handguards

Quite a few happy DE owners on this forum!

Guest Jimmydee333

Thanks. I keep coming back to this as it a little different and I like bullpops. 

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/cyber-gun-famas-f1-evo-aeg-assault-rifle-w-mosfet?pv=7804

Don't see them at many sites though. 

58 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I honestly can't recommend Specna Arms at the moment.  I got lucky with my Edge SA-E02 but the quality control isn't great, the gearboxes are suspect, and they have magazine compatibility issues.

If you do go for one, I'd suggest stretching to one of the Edge 2.0 models as they come with a Gate Aster mosfet with a fair amount of options.

The Double Eagle M9XX models are getting a lot of love right now and also come with burst mode options.  Stocking is the problem right now, you're lucky to find anything.  The M916G is in stock at the time of writing though https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/double-eagle-m916g-utr556?pv=17877 and offers something a little visually different from the typical loads-o-rails.

Ah, the FAMAS, perfect for storming an Alaskan island hiding terrorists and a bipedal mech. Only thing I'd caution is that the FAMAS doesn't take M4 mags. If M4-magged bullpups are what you're after, L85, F2000, UAR and Tavor among others all use STANAG.

UAR is budget and gets looked down on a lot but I'm a big fan. Light, plenty rail space, very egonomic, looks sci fi, shoots rather well, internally an AK. Or as I summed up on another thread earlier, a Lada in a Pelican Dropship's clothing 😄

Guest Jimmydee333

I really like them them. Plenty of room customisation too. Very ghost in the shell. Is there an m4 mag adapter out there for the famas? 

I've taken much the same journey as you, I'm just further down the road 😋

My initial ideas on returning to Airsoft was to get a g&g cm16 but I ended up going for the double eagle m906c.

And then I had a hankering for another gun, ended up wanting a  bullpup, and bought an f2000 😁

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Jimmydee333 said:

Alright guys, one more and I'll promise I'll stop. You've all been really helpful. 

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/cyber-gun-fn-scar-full-metal?pv=16783

Thoughts? I think there may e an m4 mag adapter for this possibly. 

That's the scar-L variant, so it takes m4 mags as standard, it's the scar-H that takes the larger non-m4 mags

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.