TM Hi Capa 5.1 or 4.3 vs Army Armaments R5/600s

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So it's the battle of the old Champion Of The World versus one of the New Pretenders... 

Or to put it another way... A known reliable gun with massive upgradability but a plastic slide and a bit less power,

spacer.png

versus a metal slide, powerful gun (330fps) with alleged shareability of upgrade parts, and perhaps more questionable reliability... But some spangly looks...

spacer.png

(that's the 501)

Apart from the polymer vs metal slide, there's also the price, £130 for the TM against £90/£95 for the AA.

I'm not intending to upgrade either pistol once I buy it, it will be a backup in woodland games, not a primary for CQB (though never say never..)

Is the TM worth the extra cost and the loss of the 'real-steel feel' of the slide, over the unknown reliability of the AA pistols?

Also, the AA guns are I think mostly 4.3 barreled, would I lose much accuracy with the shorter length?

Anyone have experience with both?

Edited by RostokMcSpoons
Typo

Backup and you don't want to upgrade?

TM all the way, they are reliable and the "Loss" of a metal slide means it will work in all but the lowest temperatures the UK has to offer. 

The main issues with the AA stuff is the crap rubber seals they use in the pistol itself and especially the mags, a few people I know have replaced all the rubber stuff to prevent gassing out. Take the cost of those upgrades and you might as well of got a TM. (It will still perform poorer due to the metal slide and poorer tolerances in manufacture.)

Despite owning lots of odd cheaper rifles (because there are no expensive versions of them), I believe in buy once, buy right.

The AA might be fine for an upgrade platform, but that's not what you are looking for.

Edited by Asomodai

Ok so no one standing up for AA. But the only thing that still gives me some pause is that I hear the plastic slide will fall eventually and I'll need an Airsoft Masterpiece metal slide on a TM

They're pretty damned expensive, looks like over £100 for that, would buy an awful lot of rubber seals...?

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

16 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Ok so no one standing up for AA. But the only thing that still gives me some pause is that I hear the plastic slide will fall eventually and I'll need an Airsoft Masterpiece metal slide on a TM

They're pretty damned expensive, looks like over £100 for that, would buy an awful lot of rubber seals...?

I have 5 TM pistols. I use green gas, not even close to a broken slide. It happens sometimes if people upgrade the gas bearing internals for more FPS, but again, you are not upgrading anything. 

Edited by Asomodai

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

because people run them on green or propane which they are not designed to use. cheap cast monkey metal is more fragile than a good quality plastic. the AA is a monkey metal clone of a gun designed to be made of plastic. in the UK metal pistol will always perform worse than a plastic gun. A TM is a better built  gun wich will give better performance on a lower powered gas than any metal clone running on propane.

I ran my 2 old 4.3's with PDI winter piston head, 9ball routes, lpe shims on propane for about 8 years. No broken slides although I did occasionally have to replace the odd nozzle. Both still running to this day as I sold them to a friend. I moved on from capas as I found the newer TM 15mm bbu models even better in the cold and more efficient. 

That's good to hear, thanks chaps

Heroshark, was it you that mentioned somewhere about how good the New TM M9s are?  Is that the gun with the new blowback unit? 

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 minute ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

That's good to hear, thanks chaps

Heroshark, was it you that mentioned somewhere about how good the New TM M9s are?  It's that the gun with the new blowback unit?

i love the m9 but the safety/decocker is a weak point. wont stop the gun working but eventually one of the levers will stop working. i would highly recomend the hk45 or the FNX as the best TM performers. personal preference HK45 purely on aesthetics

Nah not the m9 as I'm aware. As said fnx, hk45, USP, uspc, g19(both gen), xdm, m&p, newer Glock 17 models, px4, the little ported colt 1911 thingy. The fn57 ,but is one of the more delicate ones being one of the first to adopt the 15mm bbu.

Edited by heroshark

Ummmm, I'm not really a fan of the super boxy guns like the Glocks and the Socoms etc, I'm really more into the 1911, the cz75 and the Browning hi power.

While I was googling some of them I saw mention of the M45a1.  That looks pretty cool, but it is another step up in price... £170. I think the £130 5.1 is where I should go

Edit: seems I picked an expensive shop, the m45 is available down at £140 🙂

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Ummmm, I'm not really a fan of the super boxy guns like the Glocks and the Socoms etc, I'm really more into the 1911, the cz75 and the Browning hi power.

While I was googling some of them I saw mention of the M45a1.  That looks pretty cool, but it is another step up in price... £170. I think the £130 5.1 is where I should go

Edit: seems I picked an expensive shop, the m45 is available down at £140 🙂

If you want TM pistols firesupport is generally best for price

Thanks guys. I'll be buying the TM for sure. 

Just not yet, as my HFC M9 that I thought was knackered is now getting through a mag full of BB's before running out of gas... Good enough for an occasional use sidearm.

And I spent my disposable income on a new rifle, so it'll have to wait for next payday..  or maybe the one after that 😏

I just ordered a universal Molle holster (Kombat UK) so I can run with the M9 for a bit, see how much I actually use it.  And then when I can (afford it) I'll grab a Hi Capa.
At that point I might swap the cordura holster for a plastic retention style one too.

Quick story...
I had one great game where my main gun ran out of battery.  I was defending in a game of zombies, down to about 4 or 5 survivors versus a swarm of zombies running down a wooded hill at us.  Pinging shots from the M9 at unsuspecting enemies was just sooooo satisfying.  The adrenaline rush of being swarmed, the lack of ammo, the feel of the blowback on the gun, all just made it really exciting.
I probably only got a couple of kills, as the over-hop meant my long range shots were all over the place (I was still using 0.20s at the time) but damn I enjoyed that.  

So yeah, I'll want to use my pistol, and I'd rather it be realistic/dramatic (sort-of rules out the AAP-01 and also the non-GBB guns) at the expense of practicality.

Which was I why I was initially drawn to the Army Armament guns with their metal slides.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons
Missing word

2 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I just ordered a universal Molle holster (Kombat UK) so I can run with the M9 for a bit, see how much I actually use it.  And then when I can (afford it) I'll grab a Hi Capa.
At that point I might swap the cordura holster for a plastic retention style one too.

Quick story...
I had one great game where my main gun ran out of battery.  I was defending in a game of zombies, down to about 4 or 5 survivors versus a swarm of zombies running down a wooded hill at us.  Pinging shots from the M9 at unsuspecting enemies was just sooooo satisfying.  The adrenaline rush of being swarmed, the lack of ammo, the feel of the blowback on the gun, all just made it really exciting.
I probably only got a couple of kills, as the over-hop meant my long range shots were all over the place (I was still using 0.20s at the time) but damn I enjoyed that.  

So yeah, I'll want to use my pistol, and I'd rather it be realistic/dramatic (sort-of rules out the AAP-01 and also the non-GBB guns) at the expense of practicality.

Which was I was initially drawn to the AA guns with metal slides.

I always carry multiple pistols and make sure I use them. You don't need a back up side arm but they are always fun.

I watched a cool video review of the TM USP (with the new 15mm BBU) at lunchtime.   

Wow, that thing's got some range + accuracy!  Are all the TM's like that?

I do prefer the look of the M45A1, but the same guy reviewed that (and liked it) but pointed out the USP is insanely efficient with gas.
I don't suppose that really makes any difference, especially if I'm only carrying one spare mag...?

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

3 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I watched a cool video review of the TM USP (with the new 15mm BBU) at lunchtime.   

Wow, that thing's got some range + accuracy!  Are all the TM's like that?

I do prefer the look of the M45A1, but the same guy reviewed that (and liked it) but pointed out the USP is insanely efficient with gas.
I don't suppose that really makes any difference, especially if I'm only carrying one spare mag...?

the new 1911s are really good but the double stack mag guns out perform them due to gas capacity 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.