Making a Gift of Airsoft Guns

emilianoksa

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Yup. Its perfectly legal to do so. Though if they do something stupid with them, you might get a knock on the door from plod. 

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

@emilianoksa - any chance of adopting me? 😁

I'll gratefully receive whatever I'm given! 

I can imagine how that's gonna go 😜

images (4).jpeg

Well I am certainly old enough to adopt you.

And you could take care of me when I become completely feeble. 

Thanks for all the replies.

What about  swopping one rif with somebody for another rif? I don't suppose that is legal though. 

Wouldn't you just be gifting each other a rif, which would be no problem.

2 hours ago, Keldon said:

Wouldn't you just be gifting each other a rif, which would be no problem.

No the currency doesn't matter whether something is exchanged for money, labour or goods it's classed as selling. 

• Supporters

@emilianoksa

Are you sensible ?, Is your relative sensible ?

If you can answer yes to both then the likelihood is there'll never be an issue resulting from whatever arrangement you guys make.

Obviously no one, myself included, is advocating breaking any laws, but the fact that both of you already own a rif goes some way towards a valid defense, & you are related so technically no one could argue that gifting is an issue, as each is a known entity to the other, the obvious connotations taken from that being that the known intention is for skirmish use, & no nefarious intent.

Edit: rereading the thread, regards swapping DOESN'T mention if it's with the same family member, that was an assumption on my part, if it's a non related third party then obviously you would be relying on them already owning a rif as your only defense in the absence of ukara etc.

Edited by Tackle

Swapping RIFs would most likely be equivalent to a sale.

’Gifting’ is relevant when the recipient is under 18.  They cannot buy or be sold either an IF or RIF.

If your relative is under 18 you can give them either an IF or a RIF provided you get nothing back this would be ‘gifting’.

The ‘defence’ relates to sales.  UKARA is the most recognised scheme.

If your relative is over 18 then you can legally sell to them.  
It is not a legal requirement for them to be UKARA registered.

It would be you as a seller who would be liable under the VCRA, if you are confident that their intention would be to use the RIF at insured sites (and that you are happy that you could reasonably present that in court if necessary), and they are over 18 then you can legally sell to them.

Under 18 = gift only of IF or RIF

Over 18 = can sell IF

Over 18 & for skirmishing = can sell RIF

Simples, you gift them yours, wait 30 seconds then they gift you theirs. Its two seperate transactions then.

I have 12 guns I think, all bought except one which was a gift from my brother when I started out and I do not recall ever been asked for a ukara number by retaillers or sellers, in fact I only have had a ukara for 1 year and I dont think I bought any guns in that time.

Yes I did, I got 2, but the store didnt ask anyway! 

Sorry I realised I have not got to the point :D 

My point being what might not be legal happens all the time, Its hardly enflrcable and I would say only in an extreme case of something silly, like someone using a RIF to stick up a shop or threaten a copper would anbyine try to trace it back to where it came from.

Thats not to say as airsofters we shouldnt be sensible and stick within the rules, but it is a bit of a joke.

1 hour ago, Albiscuit said:

Simples, you gift them yours, wait 30 seconds then they gift you theirs. Its two seperate transactions then.

My point being what might not be legal happens all the time, Its hardly enflrcable and I would say only in an extreme case of something silly, like someone using a RIF to stick up a shop or threaten a copper would anbyine try to trace it back to where it came from.

Thats not to say as airsofters we shouldnt be sensible and stick within the rules, but it is a bit of a joke.

Your first point wouldn’t stand up in court.....

But your real point is the final statement - if people are sensible then there won’t be a case to answer

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.