How to tell when you've been shot with a hot gun?

BoomingHedgie
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I was playing at a site I hadn't played at before yesterday and I was shot in the forehead from quite a distance so it must have been a DMR or a sniper.

I took my hit and walked back to re-gen and someone pointed out that my forehead had a swelling the size of a golf ball and that I was bleeding. I carried on playing and didn't mention it to a marshall.

From having a look at my forehead today I still have the swelling and a nice cut to go along with it too.

Getting shot with any airsoft weapon hurts and that is part of airsoft so I'm not complaining about that but I have to say, that shot I took to the forehead REALLY hurt.

My question to all of you is what would you have done in this scenario? How do you know if you've been shot with a hot gun?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I was still on site, and knew where it came from then I'd tell a marshall that I thought it was a hot gun and ask for it to be rechrono'ed. 

• Supporters

it's a tricky one, as it depends on the site limits for different weapon classes, a DMR in the uk may well be "hot" by the standards of the rest of the guns on site and it might just have been a close engagement.

generally i refrain unless it's obvious that someone has significantly more range and hitting power than an equivalent class weapon, it's easy in ni as we're limited to 1j so if your gun is at the edge of it's range and you get smacked hard by whoever you're shooting at it's a sign of a hot gun.

I was playing in the UK so it was the usual FPS limits such as 350 FPS for AEG etc.

Would a BB from a gun within the general rule of thumb UK limits give you a golf ball on your forehead and cut your face open? Sounds very drastic when I say it like that haha.

I have seen head shots swell up quiet a bit, but everyone is different. Personally I hate forehead shots, I find them extremely painful and my eyes water no matter what because of them. However... it rarely comes up in a bruise, slight welling and a little red, but that's it (unless it's a bleeder, then it weeps for ages...) 

I've seen plenty of other folk take bleeders to the face. Sometimes they swell, other times they don't. 

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, BoomingHedgie said:

I was playing in the UK so it was the usual FPS limits such as 350 FPS for AEG etc.

Would a BB from a gun within the general rule of thumb UK limits give you a golf ball on your forehead and cut your face open? Sounds very drastic when I say it like that haha.

well 500fps out of a sniper at the edge of MED is going to sting, and as arwen says everyone's physical reactions are different.

it's tricky lol.

Thanks for the replies @Adolf Hamster and @Arwen 😊

Sounds like it was just one of those things!

I've certainly learnt my lesson either way, don't stick your head out for too long lol.

• Supporters
Just now, BoomingHedgie said:

Thanks for the replies @Adolf Hamster and @Arwen 😊

Sounds like it was just one of those things!

I've certainly learnt my lesson either way, don't stick your head out for too long lol.

yeah, it's a tricky one to call properly at the best of times, could well have been hot or just someone closer than you thought.

No bother. 

My tip? Wear a hat at least. Baseball caps in particular will deflect the bb away from your forehead, mine has save me so much pain :D

+1 on the cap

I usually wear a helmet, but in the heat I wear a baseball cap. 

Cheers

G

I think it’s just bad luck of where you’re shot. I’ve had my forehead split and blood pour from my head from a Tm recoil at about 30 foot. I’ve had shots closer that were maybe half an inch to the left or right that have barely marked me. It’s all just luck

28 minutes ago, Arwen said:

Baseball caps in particular will deflect the bb away from your forehead, mine has save me so much pain :D

Baseball cap master race!

I love my pentagon one as it has a bit of padding but not too much so it gets hot.

Being too hot is a hard thing to judge without actually chroning it.

I personally find I have more issues with people with powerful guns (sniper/DMRs) not watching their engagement distances. 

I still got three BB shaped scars on my gut where I was playing a ambush game mode and a douche in a bush with a DMR on the Fps limit ,5 foot away shot me just under the vest.

3 minutes ago, Game Cam said:

Baseball cap master race!

I love my pentagon one as it has a bit of padding but not too much so it gets hot.

Being too hot is a hard thing to judge without actually chroning it.

I personally find I have more issues with people with powerful guns (sniper/DMRs) not watching their engagement distances. 

I still got three BB shaped scars on my gut where I was playing a ambush game mode and a douche in a bush with a DMR on the limit 5 foot away shot me just under the vest.

Haha I was wearing a baseball cap 😂

Just a good shot in between the gap between the cap and my eyebrows

4 minutes ago, BoomingHedgie said:

😂

Just a good shot in between the gap between the cap and my eyebrows

Maybe your just unlucky like me and are cursed by sods law and whenever you wear protection everyone shoots around it. 

It's the reason why I never spend money on helmets or expensive vests.

12 minutes ago, Game Cam said:

Maybe your just unlucky like me and are cursed by sods law and whenever you wear protection everyone shoots around it. 

It's the reason why I never spend money on helmets or expensive vests.

I used to get shot centre mass so much before I bought a plate carrier and now I have one I only ever get shot in the arms or just under it in the gut, I was playing CQB once and turned a corner and there was a guy maybe half my barrel length away and no minimum engagement so we traded shots and all of his round hit right under my vest and I walked away with 4 belly buttons that day :lol:

I also have a baseball cap and I couldn't count on my hands the amount of times I've had a round posted between the cap and my eyepro and hit me right in the forehead!

lot to be said for full helmet and face protection.

19 minutes ago, gasman said:

lot to be said for full helmet and face protection.

I just enjoy the lighter head wear due to this glorious heat at the moment!

Its happened to a mate of mine and me on the same day he was shot on the bicep and his bruise was bad. Second to one i had 12 years ago from a point blank paintball to the elbow where blood came through the pours of my skin and i still have the scar. 

Anyway the same guy shot me in the hand while i was out and he did it on purpose as my hand was up and i was on my own, it fucking hurt. He was shooting around 400fps on 0.20 but he brought the gun on after his other gun had been chrono'd. The marshalls took his gun away from him after he got a bollocking. Needless to say it was the same guy who hadnt been calling his shots the whole game. We went out of our way to make his life a misery.  Ill give him his due. Ill not forget the prick in a hurry. 

23 minutes ago, BibbsOnTour said:

physical and emotional scars by the sounds of it ;):lol:

Haha too right mate 💅

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

well 500fps out of a sniper at the edge of MED is going to sting

Especially if it's shooting 0.45g or heavier, and Joule creeping.  Bear in  mind that a steel 6mm BB masses 0.86g; those 0.5g BBs that are becoming de rigueur for snipers are getting on up there, and I'd wonder how "plastic" they really are.

What to do?  Since you didn't know who hit you, all you can really do is point it out to a marshal and see if they fancy chronoing the opposing team, starting with the snipers.

Personally I'd like to see more random chronoing done during the day, and am very happy to cooperate when it happens.

I do think that it needs to become the norm to chrono folk using heavy weight bb's with the bb's they are using to play. A number of snipers at my local use .3-.36's and I can definitely feel the difference between them and the normal .25's that most other folk use at the site. It's not so much that they hurt more, but i feel the weight behind them a lot more if they hit my head. 

It's pretty much the only reason I can tell a snipers shot me these days rather than a sneaky aeg, with the grass being as long as it is 😆

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Especially if it's shooting 0.45g or heavier, and Joule creeping.  Bear in  mind that a steel 6mm BB masses 0.86g; those 0.5g BBs that are becoming de rigueur for snipers are getting on up there, and I'd wonder how "plastic" they really are.

What to do?  Since you didn't know who hit you, all you can really do is point it out to a marshal and see if they fancy chronoing the opposing team, starting with the snipers.

Personally I'd like to see more random chronoing done during the day, and am very happy to cooperate when it happens.

well its an interesting point about engagement distances, i plan on doing a little research into bb weight vs range from a theoretical stand point as it'll be interesting to see what the difference between slow and fast is when you add in the magnus effect, drag etc.

would be interesting to see how much energy a sniper has at 20m compared to an aeg at point blank for example when using heavier bb's.

44 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

When I went up to play with my mate at Skirmish Nottingham they were doing random chrono while they did mag checks (checking every gun was empty).

I got pulled to one side for it, my Long Barrel M4 shoots 285 so I was golden but I felt a lot better that they were doing it.

Seems to be optional at my site considering its cqb it should probably be mandatory.

Had some pretty close range shots that have broke the skin on my arm, etc. Got a scar on my arm from getting shot about 15 feet away in april.

Archived