Three important lessons I have learned from playing CQB

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

1. Get at least one pistol and as many magazines for it as you can afford. At least 50% of the hits I took yesterday were from pistols. A fair number of people were carrying pistols only, or combination of pistol and mini sub-machine gun gbbs or short barrelled shotguns. 

2. Get a flashlight. I was repeatedly set up for hits by high beam tactical lights used both in full beam and in strobe. If anybody could recommend dependable tactical lights for rifle and/or pistol that don't break the bank and are easy to operate quickly by thumb or finger, I would be grateful. Or at least warn me of which brands to avoid. 

3. For wearers of prescription glasses, neither special goggles or full face mesh masks work. The former will fog up whatever the advertising blurb states, and the latter will make things look very blurry. After having wasted well over 60 quid on a set of Bolle x100 rx goggles,  I have come to realise that there are only two options open to me: contact lenses or one of those Dye4 paintball masks that I don't like the look of. I lost count of the number of times I hesitated while trying to work out whether the bloke in my sights was an enemy or not and paid the inevitable price.  Does the Dye4 really work with glasses? I can't afford to be stung yet again.

• Root Admin

I have fan goggles (Revision Desert Locusts) and use a decent amount of anti-fog (applying it in the morning and buffing it off when I get to the site usually). That keeps the fog at bay even with inserts.

Lots on this already in other threads I believe.

Pistol and shotty ftw in cqc. 

As for light;

Screenshot_20180506-145308.png

And finally I use contact lenses with Bolle siliums. 30xpair daily disposables for £20, can't go wrong. Never had a fogging issue, could do with some windshield wipers on the inside though. 😎

SecurityIng Cree LED Tactical Strobe Gun Flashlight 2-Mode 600LM Pistol Handgun Torch Light with Quick Release Weaver Mount for Hiking, Camping, Hunti https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y6FNCWG?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf this also is a great torch

WindFire Tac Water resistant Cree T6 LED Torch 1000lm Rifle Hunting Tactical Flashlight with Pressure Switch and Rifle Mount Picatinny Rail Mount for Rifle (18650 Battery and Charger Included) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XS9GH5Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UKW7AbYGSZV7H

As is this one.

1 hour ago, proffrink said:

I have fan goggles (Revision Desert Locusts) and use a decent amount of anti-fog (applying it in the morning and buffing it off when I get to the site usually). That keeps the fog at bay even with inserts.

Lots on this already in other threads I believe.

Thanks for the information.

There have indeed been many threads on this subject, and I have contributed to some of them.

I was warned that the Bolle's "might" fog up when I was moving a lot. However mine just fogged up all the time. I could have sat in a chair for ten minutes and they would still have fogged up.

I am glad that yours with the integral fan work for you. However I have heard people complain that even these can and do fog up.

I am convinced that contact lenses or a Dye 4 are the only way to go for me personally.

Thanks to Duff and Robert for the links to decent flashlights.

• Root Admin

Yeh, that's certainly the case. I think being fairly religious with the right antifog also helps but ultimately a lot of people do just sweat more around the face.

Have you tried antifog with your Bolle ones? Was there any foam that you think you might be able to remove to improve ventilation?

3 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

3. For wearers of prescription glasses, neither special goggles or full face mesh masks work.

I don't wear glasses under my goggles, however my revision bullet Amy's come with a prescription insert (you get the lenses fitted to the insert. ) 

After removing the foam from the top and bottom of them, and applying anti fog in the morning and at lunch time they don't fog on me now. 

My bolle ones would fog while I was standing still. 

On particular sweaty days/games I'll wear a sweat band on my forehead (stops the sore forehead shots and catches the sweat). It may look silly, but it works! 

I usually don't wear my glasses to play.  Wore them last time under my paintball mask. 

Wasn't CBQ, but was very humid, but was ok.  Cleaned all lenses and wiped with revision anti fog wipes.

I've also drilled extra holes in the mask where is sits over the cheeks with a 3mm bit to improve airflow.

Cheers

G

Hi emilianoksa

I wear glass with my Bolle and never have a problem (and do a fair bit of running around CQB)  have you removed the top and bottom covers between the lenses and google frames?

After the 2 and 3 games I usually have to give them a wide over but they have never steamed up.

Regards

Andy

• Moderators
3 hours ago, proffrink said:

Yeh, that's certainly the case. I think being fairly religious with the right antifog also helps but ultimately a lot of people do just sweat more around the face.

Yeah, that happened today I almost wore shorts!, but my locust have no foam and applied abbey ‘antifog’ before going out and again at lunch

no fogging just droplets.....was a warm day at Tuddenham though :lol:

On 5/6/2018 at 2:28 PM, emilianoksa said:

1. Get at least one pistol and as many magazines for it as you can afford. At least 50% of the hits I took yesterday were from pistols. A fair number of people were carrying pistols only, or combination of pistol and mini sub-machine gun gbbs or short barrelled shotguns. 

2. Get a flashlight. I was repeatedly set up for hits by high beam tactical lights used both in full beam and in strobe. If anybody could recommend dependable tactical lights for rifle and/or pistol that don't break the bank and are easy to operate quickly by thumb or finger, I would be grateful. Or at least warn me of which brands to avoid. 

1. if your good enough a pistol is not essential. For one a pistol with enough spare mags (if used as a primary) costs about the same as a half decent rifle / smg anyay and will hold much more ammo and give you full auto ability.

That being said my pistols kick ass :D  

2. torches often are more of a bloody hindrance, I only ever use mine for three reasons, either when I drop something, going up or down the unlit stairs at the mall (im a clumsy fecker) or the main reason is when im dead and screaming 'deadman on the torch' before walking through a doorway.

Otherwise a torch is the best indication someone is there, dont fight a flashlight with a flashlight, shoot at the light!! then to the left, the right above and below the light too!!

And please dont be the guy on my team that shines his 100000000 million candle torch right in my face in the dark corridor!!! or the one that lights up the doorway just as im going through so my shadow is visible to all the enemy .

I had a guy at the Mall tell me not to shine my torch whilst behind him, so I did. A lot. Don't tell me what to do, ask nicely and I may consider it. I have really good night vision, rarely is a landing light left on in my house. So I didn't even need to use the torch, but give me a reason to piss you off and I just might.

I can't wait for some woodland, I've got very bored of the same layout very quickly at the Mall. I think I probably overdid it in my first six months. Don't get me wrong, still love the place and the staff I just want a change of arena.

2 minutes ago, Duff said:

I had a guy at the Mall tell me not to shine my torch whilst behind him, so I did. A lot. Don't tell me what to do, ask nicely and I may consider it. I have really good night vision, rarely is a landing light left on in my house. So I didn't even need to use the torch, but give me a reason to piss you off and I just might.

I can't wait for some woodland, I've got very bored of the same layout very quickly at the Mall. I think I probably overdid it in my first six months. Don't get me wrong, still love the place and the staff I just want a change of arena.

To be fair I would do the same ;) 

Just fricken annoying when bods flash torches left right and centre while im trying to be sneaky, I tend to sod off in another direction and leave them too it. No need to announce to the enemy you are on your way!

I hear what your saying, I over played there soo much when we first started playing but played half a year last year and noticed this year they have changed games and moved things around a little which helped.

Just now, Albiscuit said:

To be fair I would do the same ;) 

Just fricken annoying when bods flash torches left right and centre while im trying to be sneaky, I tend to sod off in another direction and leave them too it. No need to announce to the enemy you are on your way!

I hear what your saying, I over played there soo much when we first started playing but played half a year last year and noticed this year they have changed games and moved things around a little which helped.

Oh yeah it's by no means a dull place to play and I still haven't got the layout 100% yet.  It's changed a lot since I started there, adding cars etc. As for game modes, I don't really give a fuck what the objective is if I am honest I'm just there to pew pews. Fucked if I'm gonna run around looking for props to put in a room when I could be laying down some plastic! I do love the Personality games though, especially Sack Head.

One other thing I have noticed at the Mall is there are a lot of players there (unsure if regular regulars or random groups) who like to over-shoot or not take a blind bit of notice to dead players and hose them down. It happens at least twice a round so at least 4 times a day. I don't care about getting shot, I accept it as part of the game. But at least use your fucking eyeballs and take a millisecond to think before spray n' praying. Lastly, one dude who goes to the Mall, older guy, wears a grey hoodie always and a black fullface. He does nothing but deny hits and give away enemy positions as a dead man. I literally tell a Marshall about him every time I play. Not sure if they say anything to him, give him a pass or just ignore it altogether.

I supopse I am more bored of CQC than the venue itself, doesn't do any favours for itself being located in Reading.

Torch is great for cqb, even if it’s not particularly dark. You have to know how to use it though. I run mine on my mp7 and it’s off until I’m about to fire. 

Aquire target- light on- fire. I find that bright light gives you that half second extra to get the kill while they get their shit together. Doesn’t work all of the time, but I’d say 70% of people freeze/wince when they’re met with a bright light. 

However... walking around with it on, you may as well have a megaphone, shouting “take aim! I’m coming around the corner!”  

On 5/6/2018 at 8:10 PM, Badllama said:

Hi emilianoksa

I wear glass with my Bolle and never have a problem (and do a fair bit of running around CQB)  have you removed the top and bottom covers between the lenses and google frames?

After the 2 and 3 games I usually have to give them a wide over but they have never steamed up.

Regards

Andy

I'm probably a lot sweatier than you,  mate.😁

As for shooting at the light - I would if it wasn't dazzling me when I looked at it.

My reaction is to turn away and move.

Good point about the expense of running a pistol with umpteen extra mags. It is expensive, and gas guns are more problematical than aegs, and buying a decent sub is probably a more sensible option. I suppose something like an MP7 would be the best bet, but, looks wise,  I prefer the G&G M4 style ARPs that have just come on the market. 

I'll be easy to spot, I'll be the one fumbling with the flashlight switch while being lit up with BBs.😄

Cheers

G

• Supporters

Wouldn't be regulars as words would be had, regulars are meant to set an example. Know what you mean about identifying as some people just don't and it is one of my pet hates got shot more times when I was dead the other week than when I was alive.

Guy in grey doesn't ring any bells but will keep eyes out. No one ever gets a pass and no complaint is ignored the marshalls don't play favourites and a known player is more likely to get a harsher reprimand than a rental or new to site player.

1 hour ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Wouldn't be regulars as words would be had, regulars are meant to set an example. Know what you mean about identifying as some people just don't and it is one of my pet hates got shot more times when I was dead the other week than when I was alive.

Guy in grey doesn't ring any bells but will keep eyes out. No one ever gets a pass and no complaint is ignored the marshalls don't play favourites and a known player is more likely to get a harsher reprimand than a rental or new to site player.

Yeah probablynot regs to be fair, I should not have assumed that.

I know the day you are talking about, it was a Sunday and there was a few large groups of rentals, one whom I saw you have words with on three occasions. That said they were pretty bad and I don't think it was them over rinsing people, more not taking their hits. As for the guy in grey, he's an older chap and still a renter but he has been there every time I have attended. He's a dead man talking, literally had him come up to us on his way back to spawn and inform us of how he died, where the enemy were and how we should go about flanking them. He did this twice in front of me and once directly at me.

Dead men talking is one of my worst bugbears. I try my frigging hardest to be sneaky, you then shouting out DEAD MAN SHOT FROM GREEN ROOM really pisses me off!!

Thanks for that much appreciated.

Archived