Upgrades

Daniel248

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all. This may seem a silly question. But out of curiosity, what are the best gun upgrades AND WHY?

Not talking brand names. Just in general. What upgrades are good and for what reason?

Many thanks.

• Supporters

MAINTENENCE

Look after ya gun

And you gun will look after you ????

No Dave its just look after your gun

Soz, keep barrel clean

Empty mags at end of day or spring in may loses tension result in crap feeding

Ensure gun is dry fired on semi to also reduce losing tension on main spring when storing gun

Use decent BB's, etc

Bottom line only mess n change stuff

IF IT REALLY NEEDS IT

well until you gain a bit of experience

Well. I know upgrading things like the barrel can in some cases increase the FPS and also improve accuracy. like if you bought a gun and wanted to improve on it. What would be your first steps to improving it? And not by how it looks by how it performs.

• Supporters

Clean barrel coz it often has crap in it

Try a few makes n weight of bb's

0.20 & 0.25 often 25's though heavier maintain better accuracy

FPS is not the be all n end all

TM often shoot 300fps but outrange many 350fps guns

Depending on gun, you can get a ZCI tbb and a metal hop with a couple of different rubbers for about £50

Idea being make up barrel hop etc and swap over with stock barrel etc...

If no improvement you ain't boned anything

You can buy the best parts in the world but if fitted badly it will be worse than stock

Some guns perform really really well out of the box too

Chuck money n time at any gun any you can get it to perform better if you know what you are doing

But often that wisdom takes time to learn

I'm still breaking n learning BTW

Your gun won't hit 100m most hit 45 to 60m Max, a good gun a bit more and better groupings but don't believe all the bull$hit out there

There is no easy upgrade, you need to see how gun performs first n set hop/sights as best as you can

I got a couple of guns that are amazing stock cheapo guns actually 2 of the same ak's

One hit a thin aerosol can say 80ft away 4 out of 5 times

Others I might only get 1 or 2 ting that can out of 5

Until you try or see what other guns are like compared to yours don't worry

You can chuck £100 heck even £200 at a gun and see very little improvement if you blindly think I must change this n that with more expensive stuff

Often modest parts fitted well work just as well

The gun is only half of it, the skill of the player holding it is what normally gains victory

Soz for long lecture but see how your gun performs first and get used to it, no point opening fire on enemy beyond your guns range or your ability

And a sniper will often outrange you so pick engagements wisely

• Supporters

Hi all. This may seem a silly question. But out of curiosity, what are the best gun upgrades AND WHY?

Not talking brand names. Just in general. What upgrades are good and for what reason?

Many thanks.

this is incredibly generic

first and foremost you need to establish internal or external

1)internal mods are the ones you cannot see that effects how your weapon works

2)external mods affect how you interface with your weapon, ergonomics and cosmetics

Then comes role :-

1)assault

2)support

3)sniper

4)other

Then comes method of delivery :-

1)electric

2)gas

3)spring

4)HPA (though you could argue that it comes under gas)

then finally comes weapon type

1)pistol

2)rifle

3)LMG

4)other

so whats the best upgrade of them all ...... knowledge ;) go play a few games, have fun try a few play styles ... see what floats your boat B)

EDIT:-

the way i treat mods is :-

1)try the gun, identify its strengths and weaknesses

2)form a plan as to what is most important to you (i always choose ergonomics first, no point being uncomfortable etc, then user friendly etc)

3)research, see what can/cannot be done, see what others have done etc

4)consider buying the gun ... or alternatives etc

for example, i knew every little issue i could find out before i bought my tippmann, i joined every face book group, read every review i could etc etc, now i have got everything i need now to sort its hop issue (its not bad atm, i just want to make it better), i just need to try/test/adjust etc as for the exterior, that's sorted with my own style rail covers, a foregrip, and a raised 556 sight.

The best mods i have ever fitted are :-

1)better bb's!!! (eg. 0.2's are good, 0.25's are better )

2)foregrip (relieves wrist pain)

3)holosight or any sight (much better then iron sights)

4)RIS covers (it protects you rails/gun)

If we were talking brands I could tell you PDI, Laylax and Prometheus probably make the best quality barrels and so on

In terms of just what upgrades there isn't anything specific.

Buying anything good, it should already have decent performance you don't need to do anything with it apart from cleaning. If it had bad rate of fire out of the box you would do relevant ROF upgrades (e.g. New gears, hi-torque motor, re-shim, AOE correction, re-wiring to Deans connectors, MOSFET, using a 7.4 / 11.1V LiPo)

If if had poor range 1) find optimal BB weight / adjust hop / clean barrel 2) if that doesn't work consider new hop unit and / or bucking or new barrel, remember quality being more important than length

In terms of performance from back of the gun to the front:

- Spring - get closer to the power limit on your site for added range

- Piston and piston head- airseal

- Cylinder - volumed correctly

- Cylinder head - airseal

- Nozzle - airseal

- Bucking - flat hop it and choose for airseal

- Hop bucking - R hop, for more consistent hop effect

- Barrel - polished and straight will be more accurate.

That is the equation for accuracy and range. But then some people want Rate of fire and that is more gears and motor. Depends what you want.

Not really a troll at all, he has asked for upgrades that are non specific.

Switching from .2 to .25 will improve the accuracy and stability of the bb And as a byproduct may increase range.

Changing the standard nimh to a decent 7.4v lipo will increase trigger response rof and decrease weight. And unless your gun is made of cheese won't cause any significant undue wear.

Two very simple, non specific things to do to improve your guns performance. Hardly trolling.

Depends on your gun and what you want to do with it.

If you are new to airsoft and want upgrading have it done by a professional and buy quality parts. Don't let anyone tell you upgrading isn't worth it. You are the one using your gun, not them.

If you skirmish against opponents using quality high end upgrades to quality guns you will certainly know it! If its done properly it is definitely worth it.

There is a reason mosfets like BTC Spectre are £100+ and are always out of stock. Find some good airsoft engineers and explore your options. Also, start with a quality stock gun.

Play with hop-up, BB sizes and lipo vice conventional battery firstly... see how that goes then figure out what you want to improve.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.