what is the best method to paint an airsoft gun?

toneill562

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

nuprol ufp (ultra flat paint) is pretty good too.

The method that works best is the one where paint is transferred from a can to the gun in a fine mist. Other than that check YouTube loads of cool paint jobs on there. You can easily make stencils aswell.

Depends what sort of paint job you want. Do you want a ruff n ready in the field look or a factory fresh look. I assume from the stencils question ( e bay by the way ) you are talking camo. Actually came pattern jobs with stencils look more like hunters guns or toys, real troops ten to use a more add hock approach. You can shoot though things like scrim nets and even stockings to get different effects. As for paint I have had good results with Halfords Camo Paint and Humbrol Aerosols 9 which can be found in Boyes Stores if theres one near you ).

if it's plastic then I found the Krylon fusion range works very well and didn't require primer, think it might have even been bigal that suggested it to me when I asked on the forums!

I use halfords plastic primer and camo range paints but I also use rusterol forest green textured paint for it's grippy surface.

Key the plastic parts and degrease, use the primer and then the rusterol textured paint, spray over with the halfords tan camo and then camo green then brown.

I use fern leaves and bunches of grass as camo stencils.

Very rewarding to see the results as I did this on my tm vsr.

Whichever paint you use remember to degrease and clean first, wipe it over with some alcohol wipes or IPA.

Also before you paint I always found dunking the tin in a measuring jug of warm water for a few min warms up the paint evenly and quickly giving a smoother lumpy less finish.

And be paitent, painting isn't a quick 5min job, it takes time to do a good job. Days possibly weeks for paint to fully cure.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for all the reply's and liked the video.

Hi Toneill,

Did you do your custom paint yet?

I recently did paint my Custom made Sniper scopecam and TM MK23 Socom.

I used no primer, i just bought paint that is anti-rust. All are mat colors. I also bought silky mat transparant for coating it.

I just get a leaf and or tree stick from outside and spray on it with the green....(the tm was black plastic already, just tape of the things you don't want to get green, like the trigger and so on). Then you will notice that it is too much green. then you take the same leaf or stick and spray black on it until it is balanced. i don't wait for it to get dry, i just directly paint over again.

Then the Metal look part, i taped the area i don't want to paint on. Then spray the mat metal look on it. If you spray only the metal look on plastic it still look like plastic. To make it realistic you have to use indian ink. That ink stay's well. So what you do is put indian ink on it then use a tissue and wipe it out until some parts are smooth out blending in. Sometimes you have to redo over the same place to get the effect or sometimes you have to wait a few seconds to let the ink dry a bit then it stays better. Some parts you want to be darker then other parts.

Let me know what you think of my job :) And if you have Questions i like to answer them the best i can.

post-11756-0-54155400-1442485295_thumb.jpg

post-11756-0-96667800-1442485297_thumb.jpg

post-11756-0-96631700-1442485439_thumb.jpg

post-11756-0-63703000-1442485441_thumb.jpg

post-11756-0-37884800-1442485443_thumb.jpg

post-11756-0-05195000-1442485445_thumb.jpg

post-11756-0-93857500-1442485446_thumb.jpg

post-11756-0-69053400-1442485448_thumb.jpg

post-11756-0-04500100-1442485451_thumb.jpg

post-11756-0-92447600-1442485452_thumb.jpg

• Head Moderator

Whichever paint you use remember to degrease and clean first, wipe it over with some alcohol wipes or IPA

I did not have any alchol wipes but found an old bottle of India Pale Ale in the pantry. I assume that the stickyness of the ale helps the paint grip the plastic better? It did shine the metal parts nicely too. ;)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.