Gas guns?

airsoftwarrior147

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Depends if you want it to be a practical gun or something fun to shoot. In terms of practicality they're not as reliable as an AEP or NBB pistol since they use gas to blow the slide back - wasting gas that could be used for shooting with. An AEP doesn't need gas (but still needs batteries) and a NBB pistol is more efficient with the same amount of gas - I remember watching a vid on YouTube where a TM mk23 went through 100+ shots before it ran out of gas. That said, GBB pistols are a lot of fun to shoot - the recoil gives it a more "realistic" feel when shooting it.

Personally I use AEPs and NBB pistols in the winter and GBB pistols the rest of the year because gas guns don't tend to cope with colder weather.

The weather! Ambient temp can be a bugger and needs to be factored in, mine can run hot in the summer and barely function in the winter. So in the summer have an NPAS fitted so you can turn the gas down. In the winter you have to carefully manage your gas type, (I find propane the most powerful) minimising cool down (don't degas your mags quickly or do lots of full auto) and trying to keep you mags warm.

Apart from that its the realism I love! It's gas all the way baby!

Happy sorry if I've not been clear, I will edit it when I get onto a laptop but I mean GBB rifles. I already own 2 GBB pistols (Kwa m226 and a we bulldog) and a NBB tm mk23 Socom and I can get 178 rounds of 1 30 second gas charge.

Cav I've heard about the weather but have been told that co2 mags should work done all year round? Also it will be used in conjunction with my other primary anyway so that will do the full auto work

GHK G5 will run all year round out the box, their AK looks fantastic too but being metal will possibly suffer more with cooldown and loss of FPS in colder weather. I absolutely love my G5.
GBBR gas mags are heavy and obviously only hold around 30 BBs ish so you need a lot of mags for a long skirmish, I've converted mine to HPA and run a home made hi-cap set up, suffer no cooldown or loss of FPS due to outside temp and can sling BBs at folk without having to carry a tonne of heavy mags about.

Maintenance on GBBRs is easy, just lube and clean basics. A lot simpler to fix than an AEG too.

10847832_10152481653476820_3980654444790

It's defiantly something I want, more so as I move to play more milsim events aswell in order to add realism.

And pt I have my heart set on a ghk akms at the moment. I'm aware with the cold own and believe that semi will not cause many issues where as spamming full auto will result in massive cool down am I right in saying this?

• Supporters

Pretty much yeah. The more you shoot the colder it gets etc.

Get one if you're into the milsim side of things. They're not for everyday but as I can attest, they're addictive, even if it's only occasional. Heck I only use my m14 once or twice a year lol

Another GHK G5 lover here.

You have to go in to GBBRs eyes open. Your mags have far less amo (GHKs are ~36 for M4 mags, 45 (?) for AK) so if you play at a spam fest you may well feel under-gunned. Also G5 is affected by the cold, just not necessarily as bad as others. In ~2-3 degrees C I was managing a whole mag, but the last few shots were starting to show signs of cool down (not from rapid fire). Also mags are a LOT more expensive and you need more of them. I carry 6 - which weigh a lot and in this country would cost you ~£250 (plus the one that came with the gun).

As to reliability - they are just as reliable as AEGs however need more (simple) maintenance. You just need to clean and lube them after every day you've been playing, plus leave gas in the mags. Follow the basics and they won't go wrong on you.

Oh one other downside - they eat optics. The cheap airsoft optics can rarely take the recoil of a GBBR (and some of the more aggressive recoil AEGs). After two optics (and a torch) shaking apart on me I've gone real steel (at the lower end - a Vector Optics unit).

Half tempted by a GHK AK myself, but can't justify it.

aye firing semi only should be ok all year round but you will get an FPS drop when it is cold. I run both a GBBR and AEGs but once the hi-cap (mk2) is finished will be using the G5 a lot more as it is so nice to shoot. Have not heard anything bad about the GHK AK.

At the moment I run a vfc 417 sniper and try to operate as a dmr/scout role, only actually spamming full auto or rushing if I get close enough to end a game. Also I normally run out of ammo mid game and end up running around with my knife so I'm used to low capacity mags

Also what kinda lubricant would you recomend and what do you guys find is the best to use green gas (which one?) or co2

Ive tried a few lubricants on my pistol and GHK silicone oil seems the best, and was reccomended by my local GBB expert retailer, easy to apply evenly but the stoppers on the bottles are crap, its only a matter of time till i cover something in silicone oil :P

what do you guys find is the best to use green gas (which one?) or co2

Seeing as there's a blanket ban on CO2 at most sites across the UK (no matter what the gun's FPS with CO2 is), and how CO2 winds up being more expensive than green gas- GG is definitely the best for use.

• Supporters

I have a WE 888c (416c) and don't get me wrong it makes me smile like mad when using it but regret paying out all that money for it. they are weather dependant and the mags are so expensive. If i'd known about the SMP unit back when i bought my gas gun I would have gotten the SMP instead but it's always fun to get out in the summer. Plus the ball ache of cleaning it after every use.

• Supporters

depends on the gun I think, an M4 type GBB will often suffer with the weather more because the bolt assembly is so heavy, conversely the GHK G5 is pretty much an all year round gun because the bolt weighs a bit less than a packet of crisps!

My TM MP7 is definitely in the 'all year' camp, but like any gas gun, performance isn't as good in winter.

Ghk ak mags have a habit of leaking more than the M4/G5 mags, my G5 has the lighter action bolt fitted which makes a considerable difference in winter, the original bolt is over 300 grams so that's quite a lot to shift, lighter bolt also I ceases the gas efficiency, in mild/warm weather I can get nearly 3 full mags of bb per gas fill now which is a hell of a lot better than most GBB weapons, cleaning/lubing as stated is more than key though and parts do wear out far quicker than your average aeg but running gas is far more fun and will teach you weapon and round discipline

Ghk ak mags have a habit of leaking more than the M4/G5 mags, my G5 has the lighter action bolt fitted which makes a considerable difference in winter, the original bolt is over 300 grams so that's quite a lot to shift, lighter bolt also I ceases the gas efficiency, in mild/warm weather I can get nearly 3 full mags of bb per gas fill now which is a hell of a lot better than most GBB weapons, cleaning/lubing as stated is more than key though and parts do wear out far quicker than your average aeg but running gas is far more fun and will teach you weapon and round discipline

Where did you get your lightened bolt from ?

the first one you've listed mate, made by action, i actually ordered mine through ebay and it was only £30 odd delivered

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.