Best kneepads?

two_zero

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Hatch Centurion - comes in OD, black, and tan, iirc. They have a small ridge at the top of the hard foam inside which helps to prevent them slipping down. The are very comfy and also have those pegs so that once you have adjusted them to fit, you can get them on and off easily without messing with the adjustment again.

• Supporters

Happy said about some cheap decent bike/skateboarding ones

Blow me he was right - bought a "proper" pair and kept falling down no matter how tight I did them

Bought a large adult skate/bike pair for under tenner - works a bloomin charm no falling down

They go on with a sleeve plus 2 velcro straps so gotta remove boots or fit first before boots

look ok still in just plain black and save this old boy's knees

I'm sure you can get them in other colours/styles though think Barbie or Pokemon might not work with loadout

but deffo worth considering and £ for £ they do the job better than a "proper" pair of ankle protectors I found

• Supporters

Am just not sure if they will actually stay on your knee and not fall down.

They all fall down eventually. Best I've had are crye style trousers with built-in pads.

• Supporters

Search fleabay for:

Osprey Large Adult knee pads

deffo get large - got a medium n large set, they stay up miles better when sprinting

coz they got the sleeve and 2 velcro straps - fit pads before boots.....

normally they come in set of elbow or elbow + wrist protectors too

suppose you could give the large elbow pads to a little kid for their smaller knee's

I think they do work well as for bikes/skate so they stay up more than having a pair of

knee pads round your ankles like some tart's knickers

(not that I skirmish in womens underwear - find that thongs do chaffe a bit in battle)

I'm sure you can get them in other colours/styles though think Barbie or Pokemon might not work with loadout

but deffo worth considering and £ for £ they do the job better than a "proper" pair of ankle protectors I found

I don't know, if they're too busy laughing at your knee pads then it gives you plenty of time to shoot them haha

• Supporters

Long term, the 'best' kneepads are the ones that go in to your trousers I've found. Either foam inserts or Crye style, all works and is 100% guaranteed to never ever fall down because it's physically impossible; also removes any requirement for straps going round your leg (which personally I never liked).

• Supporters

i use black hawk neoprene knee pads, really nice and comfy, there the soft knee pads with out the hard plastic outer, had them for over a year now. Never had them fall down, but 1 has fallen off when i put it on wrong.

Helikon trousers have built in pockets on the knees which can then have inserts, not tried them yet but thinking of getting a pair.

Using Blackhawk ones at the moment, not bad but they do occasionally slip down. Two velcro straps aren't really enough to keep kneepads secure all the time imo.

• Supporters

External pads allow you to kneel in deeper mud/puddles than built in ones without moisture wicking into your kecks. That may not be part of your envisaged mission for them, but for me the point of wearing pads is to allow me to utilise cover which I would be squeamish about with my civilian knees and having to wear those kecks all day, often until gone 19:00 before i get back through my front door.

The addition of 'belt loops' on the side of your kecks is a surefire way to prevent them slipping, but Hatch Centurion barely move anyway, unless you're up and down like the proverbial sex worker's underwear. Loops like these:

2yk3.jpg

n7dx.jpg

xijr.jpg

...as you can see they allow the pads to work in any position.

Edited by Ian_Gere
more pics

The only knee pads I've found is the Bijan style ones.....I was lucky enough to land a pair on ebay.....rare but bloody great if you can find them

• 2 weeks later...

built in have a few downs for me. hard to find trousers that fit, costs a lot, I hate the look and they can only be used with those trousers. not for me in other words!

funny skatepads should be mentioned, as I was thinking that they should double up as that!! only thing is that I want something tried n trusted that will deff protect me.

main problem with my current ones is that they dont stay in place. just had the idea to add velcro to them and the trousers! however its also that I'm not sure how much protection they offer.

thanks for all replies folks!

• Supporters

Always wondered if you could sew a couple of loops, along the lines of belt loops on the sides/back of the legs to hold external kneepads up. Assuming it either doesn't work or looks rubbish as I can't be the first person to think of it :)

I think it was Ian gere has done exactly that....

Always wondered if you could sew a couple of loops, along the lines of belt loops on the sides/back of the legs to hold external kneepads up. Assuming it either doesn't work or looks rubbish as I can't be the first person to think of it :)

I have used this method and as Ian says it does stop them slipping, though it does take some careful marking to get them in exactly the right places otherwise the pads can end up moving sideways. I just provide loops for the bottom of the 2 straps (non elasticated one) so when kneeling the knee pad will be flat on the ground.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.