Biggest in game mistake for new players

bornleverpuller
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buying bolt action 2-tone sniper rifles and wearing Nike trainers.

Beat you all to it :P

Well, normally at my site involves:

-Bringing £30 guns from JBBG to a skirmish, thinking that they fire at 350 FPS but find out they're barely scratching 200.

-"Snipers" sitting back trying to ping .25s at people from 80 meters away. (I admittedly used to do this when I first got my rifle last year, but I've now adapted my playing style (and hop up!) so that I can comfortably hit people.)

-General lack of sense. For example telling an entire team to fall back despite holding a defensive position, instead of standing your ground and keeping up the pressure on the opposing team.

Issuing orders.

It doesn't matter if you're a cadet, CCF, UOTC, actual armed forces, ex- armed forces or have never served - don't go to your first game bellowing orders left, right and centre like a wannabe Sharpe leading a suicidal charge into a Spanish fort. You'll just look like a tosser, and most of your orders will have 0 military value.

Actually, don't do that at any games.

Hate kids who order people around and think they know what they're doing just because they go army cadets, I just say, "Bitch plz, I go St. Johns, you can't tell me what to do" (Not saying all Army Cadets are like that)

Biggest mistake is failing to realise that you are not shooting any BB's, and you have to wind the hicap on the hire gun you have. There is a difference in the sound they make, but you have to know (A) you have to wind hicaps and ( b ) they make a different sound when not firing bb's

• Supporters

WIND YOUR MAG, MATE!

YOU AREN'T FIRING, WIND YOUR MAG.

REMEMBER TO KEEP YOUR MAG WOUND UP

seriously get bored of saying that.

Not getting stuck in at the right time. I stood and watched some hires taking cover from another hire who was firing nothing at them. I heard the guy run out of ammo, there was nothing hitting anything anymore and the hires sat there cowering because the other guy was still going 'blam blam blam'

• Supporters

What I've seen ssoooooo many people do, and it makes my blood boil, is hire gunners screaming at people; "TAKE YOUR HITS YOU EFFING JEFF" etc etc.

At a silhouette.

18trillion kilometres away.

I once ran across the open to have one of them fire air at me, (as per Dave's point above) and fair enough, I'd have been gunned to bits if he'd actually been firing.

The torrent of abuse he hurled at me was nothing short of monumentally impressive. Whenever I try and link that many swears together, when I'm that angry, I just end up getting my words muddled and sounding like a retard, but Jesus, this guy had been trained in the art!

...Needless to say, I shot him in the face (with one shot, of course) and carried on.

It was amazing.

I can't help but smile when I see someone have a Rambo moment.

Hire G36C at the hip, screaming for support and people to follow him (to victory!), and running headlong at the enemy lines - with a completely empty hicap.

Also, one other bit of advice - double check your gear before you leave. Make sure you're taking home everything you brought with you. (Be that guns, magazines, batteries, keys, wallet, kitchen sink...)

Another thing- don't shove your hire gun's muzzle into the dirt. I've seen it done before, and I've seen the surprise when a massive clump of mud flies towards the enemy team instead of BBs :D

Issuing orders.

It doesn't matter if you're a cadet, CCF, UOTC, actual armed forces, ex- armed forces or have never served - don't go to your first game bellowing orders left, right and centre like a wannabe Sharpe leading a suicidal charge into a Spanish fort. You'll just look like a tosser, and most of your orders will have 0 military value.

Actually, don't do that at any games.

Can't believe your hating on Richard Sharpe!

Can't believe your hating on Richard Sharpe!

Not in the slightest - I love the books. He was the only fictional commander who came to mind (that I could be sure people would know who I meant).

Point is though, I'm sure we've all seen it - some young first year cadet, or ancient ex-TA cook who decides that because of their service, they have the right to boss everyone around, punctuating their utterly-crap "orders" with the catch phrase "I'm in the army you know!"

In 4-5 years of airsofting, I've only seen two cadet/former members with sound and sensible tactical advice. All the others were utterly braindead or completely unsuited to airsoft.

I'll admit, you get a lot of idiots or slightly stupid people in the lower star groups at cadets- including one who bought shitty gas cartridges for his cooker and they subsequently blew up while he was playing with one, burning his hands so badly he had to be airlifted to A&E. But I digress.

• Supporters

OH GOD JAMMING THE BARRELS!

my gun didn't fire. It continued to not fire anything the next 100 times I pulled the trigger.

Right, pass it here a second.

ah yes, there is a large clump of mud on your flash hider *cleans it off*

*pop pop*
Hm, feelings like the barrel is jammed

*break story for maths*

a G36C (the weapon in question) has a barrel 247mm long.

A standard BB is 6mm long

247/6=41.167

41BBs will fit in a G36C barrel end to end

*back to story*

I look around for a stick, rather than take the rifle back up the hill to the safe zone, I can see the BB so I'd be better off just unjamming it with a clean stick.

Proceded to push the BB down the barrel.

a round came out.

and another

and another

28 BBs

jammed into 1 barrel.

70% of his barrel was BBs.

DO NOT USE THE HIRE WEAPONS AS WALKING STICKS!

WIND YOUR MAGS!

Not quite in-game but...

Walking back into safe zones with the magazine still inside the gun, gun not clear etc.

Yeah but new players always seem to forget.

Hell, I know "veteran" airsofters who still can't get their head round that one!

• Supporters

Not buying enough ammo / not bringing enough out of the safe zone with you.

An experienced player with a good gun can thoroughly enjoy a full day on half a bottle or less, but a noob with a hire gun and few, if any, clues needs 3000 BB's minimum and the bottle should accompany said noob into the field every time.

Yes, reloading a hicap in the field is a bit of a pain in the arse, but not half so much as half a team sat around the regen sulking while the rest of us are taking it up the bum for lack of firepower :angry:

Unfortunately not just new players, lots of players do. Especially prevalent in those with pistols or GL's. (And don't get me started on the "my safety trigger is my finger" brigade with loaded and ready to fire pistols in the safe area)

What I've seen ssoooooo many people do, and it makes my blood boil, is hire gunners screaming at people; "TAKE YOUR HITS YOU EFFING JEFF" etc etc.

At a silhouette.

18trillion kilometres away.

I once ran across the open to have one of them fire air at me, (as per Dave's point above) and fair enough, I'd have been gunned to bits if he'd actually been firing.

The torrent of abuse he hurled at me was nothing short of monumentally impressive. Whenever I try and link that many swears together, when I'm that angry, I just end up getting my words muddled and sounding like a retard, but Jesus, this guy had been trained in the art!

...Needless to say, I shot him in the face (with one shot, of course) and carried on.

It was amazing.

Haha reminds me of my first game. Not a hired gun but a borrowed one and towards the end of the day it started regularly dry firing. I popped up, let of ten shots or so of air at this lad who then shot me. Fortunately I only got as far as holding my arms out in a 'WTF' manner before realising what had happened so I didn't get to the point of abusing him over it. He was actually quite apologetic TBH - I suppose because he sussed me as a newbie and acknowledged the fact that without the gun malfunction it' would've been him not me taking the long walk to regen.

Archived