Where did your forum name originate?

I have had more interesting usernames elsewhere. I was "Paddy" on Techbrigade, ASCUK, UKASC and Arnies, on account of having Irish Roots.

As I got old and boring I just started using an abbreviated "real" name.

I remember a load of guys signed up to ASCUK as a team and were "Wolf Squad Gunnner" "Wolf Squad Sniper" "Wolf Squad Leader" and then pmd the admins for name changes when the team broke up.

I do remember the time HaVoC MaN got himself banned, and we weren't using validation on new users, so he immediately rejoined as Beakersuxcock...

My ones comes from my other hobby where I shoot 42.67 mm BBs and try to hole them.
Hunting Pars shows my level of competence as I would starve if I would hunt birdies 😉

@GenuineGermanand you are not the only German in town as my Flecktarn loadout shows (although I still served in the old olive green drab) 

Edited by ParHunter

• Supporters

The social media handles all used to be REMF Tacticool as I am very much a REMF (POG, Fobbit, nonner) and love all that is tacticool.  That name fit the format of '3 or 4 letter acronym/abbreviation - Tactical' as so many shops, training companies and other internet groups tend to use.  I was finding most people didn't know what REMF meant though and always getting questioned on it when walking around SHOT show so I started looking around for something new.  Wanted it short, punchy, somewhat familiar to folks and not too cliche within the realms of guns, gear and airsoft.

The origins of the phrase 'the full 9 yards', 'give em the whole/full 9 yards' are widely debated and entirely unproven with tons of theories out there, but some years ago Forgotten Weapons posted a video telling a story of a small group of British soldiers in WW1 that using plunging fire to suppress an area they wanted to deny to the enemy; they did this using a few Vickers guns and fired constantly for something like a day or 2 days, with runners doing round trips to bring more ammo, more cooling water and changing barrels when required (Maxim type MGs are capable of doing this sort of thing).  I think in that video he states that this event is the origin of the phrase, but evidence I've seen from Vickers experts suggests that's probably not case.

I picked the name as some years ago there was a variant on the story that said the RFC/RAF in WW1 had a specific variant of Vickers belt which was 9 supposedly yards, which again I think has been debunked but people associate a lot with a name so I'm not changing it again.

On 08/09/2024 at 18:34, TheFull9 said:

The social media handles all used to be REMF Tacticool as I am very much a REMF (POG, Fobbit, nonner) and love all that is tacticool.  That name fit the format of '3 or 4 letter acronym/abbreviation - Tactical' as so many shops, training companies and other internet groups tend to use.  I was finding most people didn't know what REMF meant though and always getting questioned on it when walking around SHOT show so I started looking around for something new.  Wanted it short, punchy, somewhat familiar to folks and not too cliche within the realms of guns, gear and airsoft.

The origins of the phrase 'the full 9 yards', 'give em the whole/full 9 yards' are widely debated and entirely unproven with tons of theories out there, but some years ago Forgotten Weapons posted a video telling a story of a small group of British soldiers in WW1 that using plunging fire to suppress an area they wanted to deny to the enemy; they did this using a few Vickers guns and fired constantly for something like a day or 2 days, with runners doing round trips to bring more ammo, more cooling water and changing barrels when required (Maxim type MGs are capable of doing this sort of thing).  I think in that video he states that this event is the origin of the phrase, but evidence I've seen from Vickers experts suggests that's probably not case.

I picked the name as some years ago there was a variant on the story that said the RFC/RAF in WW1 had a specific variant of Vickers belt which was 9 supposedly yards, which again I think has been debunked but people associate a lot with a name so I'm not changing it again.

I thought it was from ww2, as the .50 ammo belts in the wings would measure 9 yards? 

I've heard so many variations of where it may come from. 

Edited by Darkmikey22

• Supporters
50 minutes ago, Darkmikey22 said:

I thought it was from ww2, as the .50 ammo belts in the wings would measure 9 yards? 

I've heard so many variations of where it may come from.

The one thing that's for sure is that nobody is sure, heh.  I looked in to it briefly a couple of years ago and there are examples mentioned from the textiles industry in the late 1800s, so the first usage is definitely well before ww2, but it could've come to prominence again in other contexts potentially.

15 hours ago, Terrywristt said:

It's based on a dumb joke.

Say my name very fast.

Opfor your chosen loadout? Very good, it has team America vibes.

• Head Moderator
3 hours ago, John_W said:

Have you met my mate Wayne Kerr?

Is he a friend of Ben Dover?

• Supporters
4 hours ago, John_W said:

Have you met my mate Wayne Kerr?

43 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

Is he a friend of Ben Dover?

Your all laughing, but spare a thought for my old manager at FedEx, his parents saddled him with the moniker Dick Swallow, that's some straight up evil/naive shit 🤣

On 01/09/2024 at 13:26, GenuineGerman said:

Just trying to keep it light and humourous. Where did your Airsoft/username come from? Nil points if it’s your actual name, sorry. 

Col of the 7th Infantry Brigade after he realised I worked weekend Night shifts in garage and completed the Desert Rats challenges during the day! 

6 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Your all laughing, but spare a thought for my old manager at FedEx, his parents saddled him with the moniker Dick Swallow, that's some straight up evil/naive shit 🤣

I knew an officer in the Rifles call Maj Richard Head. To be fair to him he owned it and was a top bloke.