Eye protection, thoughts greatly appreciated

So iv just started doing airsoft. I bought a mesh mask for teeth with ear protection one it. But I noticed that after one game of course rookie mistake it started fogging up 😂, I have spoken to a guy who advised on get either military spec ballistic glasses ( which get over the fogging issues). But online I came across these. What are you thoughts please ? Do you think I would have the same issue ?

IMG_3219.jpeg

Personally I would never use anything that wasn't full seal. Try a pair on and see how many different angles you can poke yourself in the eye with an unjamming rod from.

• Supporters
21 minutes ago, Biggie-Banana264 said:

So iv just started doing airsoft. I bought a mesh mask for teeth with ear protection one it. But I noticed that after one game of course rookie mistake it started fogging up 😂, I have spoken to a guy who advised on get either military spec ballistic glasses ( which get over the fogging issues). But online I came across these. What are you thoughts please ? Do you think I would have the same issue ?

IMG_3219.jpeg

ESS (assuming they're genuine) are good, I wouldn't buy them without a clear lens though. What's your budget?

Also - worth bearing in mind that any glasses/goggles with a lens has the potential to fog unless it's clean and treated with a good antifog or has forced air ventilation.

Posted (edited)

Even full wrap eye protection will not give 100% cover so go for a full cover goggle of some sort.

I have lots of eye protection glasses for shooting and DIY but prefer goggles because I know it's the best way to save my eyes if the worst happens.

A good fog cleaner will help too.

Try a pair on and see the difference..

Edited by Airpig41
Naff english!!

My opinion - full face with foam enclosed eye area 

The next best thing is snow goggle style eye protection 

Glasses style eye protection only covers direct impact, I’ve seen many Marshalls with BBs ending up with BBs inside their ‘protective’ glasses, luckily these occasions have ‘only’ been BBs coming at a side/rear angle into the edge of the glasses and bouncing back below the eye

The answer to fogging is airflow 

Removing protection to the wide open is not the solution, and telling players that they shouldn’t shoot at heads is not the solution to the failed ‘airflow solution’

I’ve used all kinds of eye protection, full face mesh, mesh goggles, full seal lens goggles and glasses. 

Each have their own advantages and disadvantages:

mesh - no fog and decent level of protection but if someone is using a lower quality / older bb, there is a chance that on impact they will shatter and send shards of plastic towards your eyes ( talking from experience)

glasses - less fog than full seal and more protective front on than mesh but risk of BBs getting in from the sides. 
also, I’ve seen plenty of people forget to put them back on before heading into the game zone - very dangerous.

full seal - best protection all round, high risk of fog. But you’ll be fine if you use anti-fog and or get an ex-fog unit ( or as I describe it to my wife - my head mounted aircon unit haha)

regardless of which option you go for, but respectable brands which are rated for Airsoft use. I’ve seen cheap “Airsoft” glasses shatter.

There are few things I don’t compromise on one is tyres on my car and the other is eye pro. I would say spend as much as you can afford on decent eye pro. We can’t grow them back and fogging is much preferred to blindness, might sound dramatic but it I wouldn’t risk it. I use military eye pro and been hit in the glasses a fair few times and glad I spent the dosh. 

On 05/07/2024 at 10:59, Gunboat Diplomat said:

I use Bolle Tracker IIs (about £10 a pair) along with Revision antifog wipes (about £5 each but they are multi use).  As long as I'm on the move they stay fog free.

I use the same, never had a fogging issue if I dont use the strap. Been hit in them multiple times and never fear for them breaking. I just buy new every year 

• 2 weeks later...

I had an old pair of trackers that I managed to scratch the lens.

Used them as a test pair, quite happily tool a .177 air rifle pellet without marking or deforming.

Not massively scientific, but I was curious,  having seen some alegedly "mil-spec" goggles crack from a 500fps sniper test.

30 minutes ago, John_W said:

I had an old pair of trackers that I managed to scratch the lens.

Used them as a test pair, quite happily tool a .177 air rifle pellet without marking or deforming.

Not massively scientific, but I was curious,  having seen some alegedly "mil-spec" goggles crack from a 500fps sniper test.

I did similar with a set that I was replacing. Point blank with my sniper at the full 2.3 J and not so much as a mark on them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/07/2024 at 21:52, Matt.2504 said:

I’ve used all kinds of eye protection, full face mesh, mesh goggles, full seal lens goggles and glasses. 

Each have their own advantages and disadvantages:

mesh - no fog and decent level of protection but if someone is using a lower quality / older bb, there is a chance that on impact they will shatter and send shards of plastic towards your eyes ( talking from experience)

glasses - less fog than full seal and more protective front on than mesh but risk of BBs getting in from the sides. 
also, I’ve seen plenty of people forget to put them back on before heading into the game zone - very dangerous.

full seal - best protection all round, high risk of fog. But you’ll be fine if you use anti-fog and or get an ex-fog unit ( or as I describe it to my wife - my head mounted aircon unit haha)

regardless of which option you go for, but respectable brands which are rated for Airsoft use. I’ve seen cheap “Airsoft” glasses shatter.

This is my fear now about mesh. I sweat like a pig in a butchers, and nothing I've tried so far works to stop the fog Vs the mesh mask I use now.

I do worry about the BB shattering risk, but every type of sealed eye pro just fogs up and then it's game over after a few mins. How have you found the head mounted AC unit? 😁

Not sure if you're still going with the ESS glasses but I did and also made a little mod to stop fogging - 

• Moderators

I’ve had ESS and revision fan googles since 2016. Never been 100% but they work. They are better with all the foam removed as they are designed for military not us with toy guns!

I’ve found revision wipes are good as well as fog tech ones

but everyone is different so what works for some may not for others, it’s just trial and error