Chest rig help

Relatively new player running GBBR with 4x M4 mags.

I recently bought the below chest rig to carry my mags, knew it wasn’t a long term solution but was cheap and seemed it would do the job. 

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/8fields-tactical-buckle-up-recce-sniper-chest-rig?fv=10188&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlYmq2IDohQMVhZRQBh2YHgDuEAQYAiABEgJ1t_D_BwE

Yesterday one of my mags fell out and damaged the speed lips. Gutted!

I am not sure if this was due to not having the bungee on correctly or if it just failed. But either way I struggle with the ‘feel’ of these especially when wearing gloves and it takes me ages to reload. Not sure if this is due to the cheap rig or is that normal? 

Can anyone share some experience with this? I don’t want to damage any more mags. 

Thanks 

I've never had that specific chest rig but I have used similar pouches and found I did need to have the bungees quite tight to stop the magazines bouncing around. 

I've got one of these, and use it for one of my sniper set-ups.

How well do yours sit when you're wearing them?
Do they feel tight and secure or is there movement and wobble?
Are the mags you're using the normal 30 round design (As in, based on what would be the 30rd mags for a real rifle)?
If so, then you may need to either adjust the bungees to tighten them up, or pad out the bottom of the mag pouch so that the mags sit higher and tighter against the elastic.

My mags are longer than usual; I assume they'd be 40 rounds IRL, so I've had no issues with them coming loose.
Reloading just takes a bit of practice to get it nice and smooth; I pull up and to the side on the bungees and the mags are easy to get out.

Do you have a photo of your rig set up as you'd use it?

• Supporters

Not owned 8fields kit, but I've never had a mag, pistol or rifle, fall out of those kind of pouches, so it's probably safe to assume you never had it adjusted tight enough, not a criticism just an observation. 

As a young squaddie literally 4 decades ago, one of the first things we were taught was once your kit was loaded up, have a good jump around in front of your mates, looking for anything that might make a noise & give you away, & that everything is secure.

Good rule of thumb before your next game.

2 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Not owned 8fields kit, but I've never had a mag, pistol or rifle, fall out of those kind of pouches, so it's probably safe to assume you never had it adjusted tight enough, not a criticism just an observation. 

As a young squaddie literally 4 decades ago, one of the first things we were taught was once your kit was loaded up, have a good jump around in front of your mates, looking for anything that might make a noise & give you away, & that everything is secure.

Good rule of thumb before your next game.

JUMP!! 

Steady on mate 😂

I have that rig and run either TM MWS Stanag or Ares 762 mags in it, depending on what rifle I'm using. 

It does need some adjustment back if I've used it for 762 before the stanag mags are secure. 

2 hours ago, Tackle said:

have a good jump around 

This is good advice.

I’m using TM MWS mags. They fit slightly loose I’ll check tomorrow and send a pic of my set up. 

To be honest I couldn’t see how to adjust the bungees.. 

I think the issue arose during the heat of battle when reloading. I seem to be able to get the new mag out efficiently but putting the empty back in seems to get tangled up with the bungees as I push it in the pocket. Probably just need more practice? 

• Supporters
33 minutes ago, Positive-Sugar said:

I’m using TM MWS mags. They fit slightly loose I’ll check tomorrow and send a pic of my set up. 

To be honest I couldn’t see how to adjust the bungees.. 

I think the issue arose during the heat of battle when reloading. I seem to be able to get the new mag out efficiently but putting the empty back in seems to get tangled up with the bungees as I push it in the pocket. Probably just need more practice? 

There'll be a knot in the elastic somewhere at the rear of the pouch usually, sometimes hidden within a pocket sealed by velcro, usually just a matter of tieing it tighter.

Something contentious now, if your running an expensive top of the line gbbr, with equally expensive mags, why are you using one of the cheapest rigs available, it's a false economy if it starts costing you mags etc.

Just a thought.🤔

You may need a plastic/kydex M4 mag insert so your mags are hold by friction. Those bungees can't be trusted in my experience.

I used this one for the last few years and you can put different fabric inserts into them. As an alternative.

Edited by Krisz

Before you adjust it, try something simple like stuffing an old sock at the bottom of the pouch, and see if that gives you the extra padding to secure the mags?

7 hours ago, Tackle said:

There'll be a knot in the elastic somewhere at the rear of the pouch usually, sometimes hidden within a pocket sealed by velcro, usually just a matter of tieing it tighter.

Something contentious now, if your running an expensive top of the line gbbr, with equally expensive mags, why are you using one of the cheapest rigs available, it's a false economy if it starts costing you mags etc.

Just a thought.🤔

Yea I know, but I needed something cheap to get me in the game until I invest in a molle rig. 

17 minutes ago, Krisz said:

You may need a plastic/kydex M4 mag insert so your mags are hold by friction. Those bungees can't be trusted in my experience.

I used this one for the last few years and you can put different fabric inserts into them. As an alternative.

Interesting. Are those jump/idiot proof? 

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Positive-Sugar said:

Interesting. Are those jump/idiot proof? 

The kydex inserts will make retention a lot more positive. I've used them in all my chest rigs that will fit them and removed the bungees for the exact same reasons you are experiencing.

Esstac kiwi’s tall or mid rise. Excellent retention.

If you are using bungied pouches, especially with heavier mags, the bungie needs to be tight enough that you have to positively pull it to get the mag out.

If you are staying with the original pouches you can increase the friction by adding grip tape to the mag.