Moving Gun safes out of basement

Hello everyone.

My gun safes are currently in the basement, so they would have to come up the stairs, no outside entry. My safes are in the 500-600 pound range, not big ones.

Anyone have experience or opinions on the stair climb appliance dollies?

I have a dolly with skids on the back, taking them down steps on it was a bit of a chore, even with gravity helping, I'm wondering if the appliance dollies with the pullies/rubber belts would be much easier to pull up stairs than the skids style?.

I have looked at renting the powered stair climbers, but haven't found any to rent in south east/south central Montana, yet.

Inn this day of 60 year olds making/dealing meth, I am reluctant to have folks see multiple safes

thanks in advance for any help

• Supporters

I'd say for sure get a powered stair climber!

First I wondered why you were telling us how much your safe was .... and then you said you were in Montana and I realised we're talking weight here.

If you have something suitably strong at the top of your stairs you could use skids and a block & tackle to pull it up. Or find a powered stair climber.

Whatever you do use, be careful of the max weight the staircase will manage, also... how did you get them in there in the first place?

• Supporters
2 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

Whatever you do use, be careful of the max weight the staircase will manage, also... how did you get them in there in the first place?

10 hours ago, mowej said:

I have a dolly with skids on the back, taking them down steps on it was a bit of a chore, even with gravity helping,

The key problem is not the weight of safes, but ensuring they are stable (strapped to the trolley / dolly), and that you have good grip / control

When moving the safe upright on a trolley you need balance to ensure the weight is going down the trolley to its wheels and not onto you holding the trolley up.

With the triple sets of stair wheels you aren’t wheeling the trolley up the full set of stairs but are wheeling the corner point of each step - in theory this is then a series of single steps, therefore you’re pulling the safe up one step at a time.

https://youtube.com/shorts/-PzRd6VhI_4?si=d0OuHmzCJaFsTfRi

IMG_9829.png.0419380efed97ca4e23ed1ade4e91dcb.png
I would prefer it to be two people, one ‘controling’ from the top of the trolley, and ideally not holding two vertical handles but with a cross bar (so that their grip isn’t around a vertical which can slip) and the second acting as a brace below with some push.

Powered ones would be ‘better’ in theory but the power element is in the moving - ideally you aren’t taking the weight in the movement so to a degree that’s laziness 

The best feature of these types is the rubber track, which also comes in evacuation trolleys 

IMG_9833.jpeg.abd9e60c38707ae02ae0e8a2932f3f29.jpeg

The ‘tracks’ are there to span across all of the steps, but with their grip they prevent the load from running away from you.

(I hope that I don’t need to tell anyone not to use an evacuation chair to move a safe !!!)

A decent trolley with the tracked feature would be good, but a solid multi wheeled stair trolley will do the job 

Just remember to think before each movement - is it steady, secure etc and are you in control?

• Supporters

Everything that everyone else has said.

Personally, if I was doing it, I'd get a winch, electric or chain, partially board the stairs with a minimum 18mm ply (enabling you to use any suitable trolley or dolly), leaving a gap on one side just big enough to enable you to step down the side if necessary, a decent size timber such as a 4in post laid across the doorframe at the top of the stairs to protect the floor/top step, & let the winch down the work slowly & safely.

Obviously this is all assuming you can winch straight ahead of the doorway at the top of the stairs ?

All sounds like a lot more work, but if your determined determined to do this on your own, this way you don't risk them getting away from you, potentially harming you or damaging your home.

• Supporters

I see you're a Colonial chap who's talking about real steel (again: this is an airsoft forum, toy guns, pew-pew-pew), so why not order an auto-sear online using your credit card and let your government come and remove your safes for you?

ATF-WHATS-IN-THE-BOX-GIF.gif

I don't know what sort of cosmic coincidence is this but I have never had to know about stair climbers before yesterday, but right after seeing this thread yesterday I got to see one in action when we had to remove something similar down some flights of stairs

Think it might be a Escalera Staircat which looks something like this which is apparently good for 540 kg which should be well suited for what OP was asking, spam or not

Anyway, just very strange coincidence