Ukara for non UK airsofters

Ulmocuk

Greetings everyone!

This is my first post here!
I've noticed that the prices for attending regular airsoft games in the UK, particularly in my area (RG9), are quite high. As a non-UK airsofter who has recently moved here, obtaining UKARA registration is proving to be extremely costly. I'm required to attend three games, with gear rental costing £60 each time, which is already the price of an entry-level airsoft rifle.

While I completely understand and respect the country's rules, I've played airsoft in Germany, Sweden, and Turkey numerous times with various teams, where game attendance typically costs around 5-10 euros. Renting gear is an additional expense, but none of these countries require a license number for purchasing a RIF (Realistic Imitation Firearm).

The airsoft scene here seems more serious, which I appreciate, but as a non-UK airsofter, I've brought all my gear with me except for my RIFs, which I had planned to purchase locally. However, to do so, I must first obtain UKARA registration, which entails spending at least £180 to attend the necessary games.

My question is: Are there any alternative options for experienced airsoft players with a proven background to obtain UKARA without having to attend games?

Many thanks.

23 minutes ago, Ulmocuk said:

Greetings everyone!

This is my first post here!
I've noticed that the prices for attending regular airsoft games in the UK, particularly in my area (RG9), are quite high. As a non-UK airsofter who has recently moved here, obtaining UKARA registration is proving to be extremely costly. I'm required to attend three games, with gear rental costing £60 each time, which is already the price of an entry-level airsoft rifle.

While I completely understand and respect the country's rules, I've played airsoft in Germany, Sweden, and Turkey numerous times with various teams, where game attendance typically costs around 5-10 euros. Renting gear is an additional expense, but none of these countries require a license number for purchasing a RIF (Realistic Imitation Firearm).

The airsoft scene here seems more serious, which I appreciate, but as a non-UK airsofter, I've brought all my gear with me except for my RIFs, which I had planned to purchase locally. However, to do so, I must first obtain UKARA registration, which entails spending at least £180 to attend the necessary games.

My question is: Are there any alternative options for experienced airsoft players with a proven background to obtain UKARA without having to attend games?

Many thanks.

Welcome and no, there is no way of bypassing it.

Edited by Colin Allen

• Supporters

To expand on what @Colin Allen put so succinctly, not really.

There are places to play that cost less than £60 a pop to rent (Red Alert for example is £50) but to get your UKARA it costs what it costs I'm afraid.

Plus, let's be honest if you've been playing plenty you're not going to want a) a gun as cheap as three rental sessions or b) just one RIF.

3 minutes ago, Lozart said:

There are places to play that cost less than £60 a pop to rent (Red Alert for example is £50) but to get your UKARA it costs what it costs I'm afraid.

Locally, its about £25 rental, vs £15 walk on - so your three games to get UKARA would only cost you an extra £30.  If your local sites are much more expensive than that, why not just buy a cheap two tone, and sell it on once you get your UKARA?

Better yet, why dont you buy a used rif, that will be cheaper than new, you won't need a UKARA for, get it as a set with a case, multiple mags, batteries and everything you need to get you started and enjoy. 

A UKARA is one of those things you need to BUY NEW rifles from shops online. You technically need it when selling rifs online, however I never see anyone actually check. So you can just go buy a non two tone rif on used websites and enjoy. You can also buy a two tone rif and remove the colour at home yourself, these use cheap spray on paint, theres multiple posts regarding using rubbing alcohol and decolouring them.

You can buy airsoft guns quite legally without UKARA, the Sportsman Association membership is accepted by almost every airsoft dealer for instance. Have a look at the Firesupport site which lists all the defences accepted. 
See below.

IMG_7394.jpeg

IMG_7393.jpeg

Thank you
Allow me to clarify that I am fully committed to upholding all rules and regulations, especially those concerning firearm laws, I do not try to bypass anything. However, I'm interested in understanding if there are any provisions for experienced airsoft players like myself. Several friends from Spain, Sweden, and Turkey, along with myself, are keen on participating in the National Airsoft Festival in 2024. Unfortunately, it appears they may face challenges bringing their own guns due to stringent border regulations regarding RIFs.

Around whether international airsoft players must solely rely on renting equipment or if there are alternative arrangements, such as gifting, available to them. I'm somewhat perplexed because while UKARA is designed for anyone interested in airsoft, I'm uncertain if there are distinct limitations or exemptions for non-UK players aiming to participate in the UK.

I've heard that some airsoft players go for two-tone guns, but I'm not quite confident about the buying and selling process that goes along with it. It appears my main option is to proceed with the £120 to expedite obtaining my UKARA, which I find somewhat expensive. Attending games in my area typically costs £25-30, with an additional £30-35 for gear rental, totalling an extra £120-135 plus the time and effort of participating in three games with potentially subpar equipment.
Additionally, I'm curious about the potential implications of purchasing a RIF second-hand. Do I still need UKARA for such purchases?

Many thanks.

@WonkyBoi @novioman

Thank you guys, I had chance to read your answers after posted my new post. I will have a look and check the options for these sportsman also got my answer already from @noviomanfor my second hand buying options.

Cheers !

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Ulmocuk said:

Allow me to clarify that I am fully committed to upholding all rules and regulations

There's no offence committed by purchasing[*], or attempting to purchase, within the UK. If you can persuade someone to sell you one, then it's legal for you to buy it.

It's entirely up to sellers what they accept as a defence, as they're the one committing the offence of selling. Sportsman Association / Shooter's Rights / JustCost are all bogus non-defences, but that's their problem, not yours.  Or some sellers accept Military Vehicle Trust membership to adduce the re-enactment defence.

The other thing you can do is contact a retailer directly and provide some evidence that you have a history of playing airsoft. It's entirely up to each seller what they accept.

35 minutes ago, WonkyBoi said:

You can also buy a two tone rif and remove the colour at home yourself, these use cheap spray on paint

[*] Somewhat bizarrely, it is an offence to modify a non-realistic imitation firearm into a realistic imitation firearm, but not to buy it.

But you'll never find anyone who cares.

Hello,

regarding the challenges to your friends shipping RIFs from abroad. I’ve played in Spain, Portugal and attended the Operation Rising Sun games in Croatia, and had no issue with the RIFs being in cases and checked in as hold luggage.

The key is communication, to check with the airline, and the host countries rules, and discuss it with them several weeks before you travel. I’ve had to print off an email or two from European countries with translations of what I’m travelling with, which does make it easier.

At the worst, most airlines will charge it as ‘Sporting Firearms’, which will cost the same as checking in a set of golf clubs. 
I had one incident at Stanstead back in about 2010ish when the police just wanted to check them, but there was no problem. 

10 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

There's no offence committed by purchasing[*], or attempting to purchase, within the UK. If you can persuade someone to sell you one, then it's legal for you to buy it.

It's entirely up to sellers what they accept as a defence, as they're the one committing the offence of selling. Sportsman Association / Shooter's Rights / JustCost are all bogus non-defences, but that's their problem, not yours.  Or some sellers accept Military Vehicle Trust membership to adduce the re-enactment defence.

The other thing you can do is contact a retailer directly and provide some evidence that you have a history of playing airsoft. It's entirely up to each seller what they accept.

[*] Somewhat bizarrely, it is an offence to modify a non-realistic imitation firearm into a realistic imitation firearm, but not to buy it.

But you'll never find anyone who cares.

Not sure why you’re saying some are bogus defences. I can’t see Firesupport doing anything that was bogus, don’t they run the UKARA system for a start. 

37 minutes ago, novioman said:

Not sure why you’re saying some are bogus defences. I can’t see Firesupport doing anything that was bogus, don’t they run the UKARA system for a start. 

The defences in legislation are:

museums

theatrical

film/TV production

historical re-enactment

in the service of the crown 

The legislation goes into further details on the requirements 

Airsoft skirmishing is an additional defence, not part of the core legislation 

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/37

Cosplay is not a defence, however ‘professional cosplay’ in certain circumstances can fall into theatrical 

After many years of wondering what JustCos actually provides I purchased JustCos membership to see the insurance policy (and still was not provided with the policy) after another forum member used JustCos as a route to buy a RIF - they had to provide a photo of them playing airsoft for the retailer to accept the sale (therefore the retailer ‘accepting’ JustCos doesn’t actually accept the ‘defence’)

(I was eventually refunded and my JustCos membership cancelled because I was ‘too stupid’ to understand what JustCos actually was 

UKARA etc are not specified defences, but are a route in which retailers can justifiably document a buyers defence.

Any retailer can accept whatever they like, one even had a tick box for buyers to state that they intended to play airsoft skirmishing 

Certain retailers are only paying lip service and just want the sales

Thinking outside the box (I think), why not buy a cheap pistol or two tone to use? No laws broken, run about a site all day & have fun, you will undoubtably meet someone like myself with a spare cheap rif that's rarely used & could let you use during the day in future visits. You only need to attend 3 days within the time limit to get your UKARA then the sky's the limit.

Edited by gavinkempsell

Make friends at your local site 

Have your guns shipped from home to them using their defence 🤷🏻‍♂️

Where are you based now? 

Edited by Jez_Armstrong

36 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

The defences in legislation are:

museums

theatrical

film/TV production

historical re-enactment

in the service of the crown 

The legislation goes into further details on the requirements 

Airsoft skirmishing is an additional defence, not part of the core legislation 

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/37

Cosplay is not a defence, however ‘professional cosplay’ in certain circumstances can fall into theatrical 

After many years of wondering what JustCos actually provides I purchased JustCos membership to see the insurance policy (and still was not provided with the policy) after another forum member used JustCos as a route to buy a RIF - they had to provide a photo of them playing airsoft for the retailer to accept the sale (therefore the retailer ‘accepting’ JustCos doesn’t actually accept the ‘defence’)

(I was eventually refunded and my JustCos membership cancelled because I was ‘too stupid’ to understand what JustCos actually was 

UKARA etc are not specified defences, but are a route in which retailers can justifiably document a buyers defence.

Any retailer can accept whatever they like, one even had a tick box for buyers to state that they intended to play airsoft skirmishing 

Certain retailers are only paying lip service and just want the sales

The only retailer I know who only accepts UKARA and nothing else is patrol base, so all the rest just want the sales?

Airsoft fest is run by Zeroone right? If it was me I would explain the situation and see if I could ship to them. Another option would be to ship them in bits and get someone with an exemption to put them back together for you. 

Welcome to the forum and good luck on sorting it out.

4 hours ago, novioman said:

I'd guess they're doing it as a sale is a sale. Imo they're dodgy as they can be obtained without ever setting foot on a site

• Supporters
6 hours ago, novioman said:

Not sure why you’re saying some are bogus defences.

Well, I've read the law. It's not secret.

4 hours ago, novioman said:

The only retailer I know who only accepts UKARA and nothing else is patrol base, so all the rest just want the sales?

Yarp.

44 minutes ago, Ulmocuk said:

Fortunately, the Airsoft retailer responded positively, allowing me to send the required photos ( My airsoft pictures )
This is excellent news for me as I can now avoid purchasing a second-hand or two-tone airsoft gun. 

Excellent news!  As above, retailers want to sell, and are really just checking a box in their records.

7 hours ago, novioman said:

I didn’t say that UKARA is the only valid airsoft defence - it’s the most common recognised defence, but other valid ones can and do exist.

(You may note that I also said ‘UKARA etc’)

JustCos certainly isn’t, and the ‘operators’ of JustCos also know that it isn’t.

Not sure if there are other viable ways that wouldn’t encounter a lot of scrutiny. You could drive back into the UK with them possibly once you’ve attended  a few UK games and have a playing history. Via ferry.

I have some friends who once drove across to Italy from Glasgow for a Paintball comp and they had trouble explaining the gas cylinders and regulator stuff in the van when they were stopped. Everyone else just arranged for gas to be supplied at the site….

16 minutes ago, Rory said:

Not sure if there are other viable ways that wouldn’t encounter a lot of scrutiny. You could drive back into the UK with them possibly once you’ve attended  a few UK games and have a playing history. Via ferry.

I have some friends who once drove across to Italy from Glasgow for a Paintball comp and they had trouble explaining the gas cylinders and regulator stuff in the van when they were stopped. Everyone else just arranged for gas to be supplied at the site….

I understand that the UK has specific rules, whereas the EU has no regulations in place. When I used to live in Sweden, I had no issues purchasing airsoft equipment from the US-based store, Evike. Our team members from Germany and Turkey also order their airsoft gear from Japan and China without any complications. Recently, I bought my WE M14 GBB from a manufacturer in China and had it shipped to Germany. I only had to pay the border tax and asked the company to label the box as a RIF with a pink flash hider.
Picture here
I think having a UKARA is a good thing also I am of the opinion that implementing firearm laws is imperative. However, I also believe that these laws should be designed in a manner that differentiates between hobbies and other activities and international players who intent to stay a bit longer in the country like me.

1 hour ago, Ulmocuk said:

I understand that the UK has specific rules, whereas the EU has no regulations in place. When I used to live in Sweden, I had no issues purchasing airsoft equipment from the US-based store, Evike. Our team members from Germany and Turkey also order their airsoft gear from Japan and China without any complications. Recently, I bought my WE M14 GBB from a manufacturer in China and had it shipped to Germany. I only had to pay the border tax and asked the company to label the box as a RIF with a pink flash hider.
Picture here
I think having a UKARA is a good thing also I am of the opinion that implementing firearm laws is imperative. However, I also believe that these laws should be designed in a manner that differentiates between hobbies and other activities and international players who intent to stay a bit longer in the country like me.

UKARA is a good concept but, as you have probably noticed, some players and retailers still attempt to find ways around it.  

Laws tend to be written without such fine delineation as that would result in unnecessary complexity and inconsistencies.

Haven't been to Red Alert yet, but probably will in the summer when the boy is back as we have friends living in Lower Early.

High Wycombe is also very good with nice safe zone a food options. 

Edited by Dan Robinson

Wycombe Skirmish? I've heard it's improved. The site was always fine, but the marshals were appalling. 

Teenagers that gave no shits at all. 

I need to give it another try. 

Red Alert, on the other hand, has devastatingly handsome, witty and humble marshals. 😁