I want to learn about airsoft guns.

Yashy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Sorry for the stupid title.

As I've got some free/spare time and i just recently gotten into airsoft. I want to learn everything about an airsoft gun, all the internals. I wanna learn the basics on how to take a gun apart, put it back together, I want to learn all the different parts of the gun and how they work, I want to (in the future) upgrade and maintain my own weapon. and etc

What's the best way to learn everything? are there guides out there teaching you? I just wanna find a place to start!

It depends on whether you want to understand the mechanisms of bolt-action spring, AEG, HPA or gas/CO2. The components differ depending on the platform. Even within AEG for example, the components can differ somewhat as my P90's trigger mechanism is quite different from that of my M4 though the gearboxes bear a resemblance though they're different types.

The "best" way to learn is dependent on the individual but have you looked on YouTube for example for maintenance or disassembly videos?

Edited by Galvatron

I taught myself how to strip and rebuild an M4 gearbox using this forum (thanks fellas) and numerous Youtube vids.  As said though there are lot of platforms that differ just enough.

I can take my L85 apart, but it is more stressful as there are extra bits to make the bullpup side of things work, not to mention the silly selector switch arrangement.

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, Yashy said:

I want to learn everything about an airsoft gun, all the internals

That's a very broad topic, and whilst the basics are somewhat straightforward the further down you go the more detail and nuance there will be.

21 minutes ago, Yashy said:

I wanna learn the basics on how to take a gun apart, put it back together

The best way to learn is to do it.

However that said, that's also the best way to ensure the gun isnt guaranteed to run well next time you use it. So for the benefit of your sanity don't do it without a reliable backup gun.

You could for example buy a cheap boneyard pew and try to restore it, best case you get a cheap gun, worst case it's a cheap learning experience.

24 minutes ago, Yashy said:

What's the best way to learn everything? are there guides out there teaching you? I just wanna find a place to start!

Try, fail, learn, try again, fail at something else, learn, repeat

Resources on youtube etc can be good, but without the experience to know if you're watching negative airsoft or skylar from reddit you can easily end up in a rabbit hole of bad advice.

On here we tend to be pretty good, lot of knowledgable folks, but even then you can get the odd bit of airsoft mythology still get through.

Watch alot of you tube if you are a visual learner.

Get a gun to strip and see how it all interacts if you want to learn that.

You'll find forums like this have lots of info, but also search for general how it works type stuff.

Pick the type of gun you have or want and get to understand it.

Simple answer: Search on YouTube

There are two main types:

- Electric (AEG)

- Gas (GBB)

Most common is AEG. To learn how it works and upgrade you should look at youtube videos for your model.  Make sure to have a backup if you want to keep playing.

BASIC OPERATION

Edited by EDcase

1 hour ago, Galvatron said:

It depends on whether you want to understand the mechanisms of bolt-action spring, AEG, HPA or gas/CO2. The components differ depending on the platform. Even within AEG for example, the components can differ somewhat as my P90's trigger mechanism is quite different from that of my M4 though the gearboxes bear a resemblance though they're different types.

The "best" way to learn is dependent on the individual but have you looked on YouTube for example for maintenance or disassembly videos?

59 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

That's a very broad topic, and whilst the basics are somewhat straightforward the further down you go the more detail and nuance there will be.

The best way to learn is to do it.

However that said, that's also the best way to ensure the gun isnt guaranteed to run well next time you use it. So for the benefit of your sanity don't do it without a reliable backup gun.

You could for example buy a cheap boneyard pew and try to restore it, best case you get a cheap gun, worst case it's a cheap learning experience.

Try, fail, learn, try again, fail at something else, learn, repeat

Resources on youtube etc can be good, but without the experience to know if you're watching negative airsoft or skylar from reddit you can easily end up in a rabbit hole of bad advice.

On here we tend to be pretty good, lot of knowledgable folks, but even then you can get the odd bit of airsoft mythology still get through.

I think i'd start with an AEG lines first.

Would this be a good thing to put apart and put back together and give it stupid upgrades and just play around with it in my backgarden and see how things work?

https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/double-eagle-m83-b2-electric-semi-automatic-bb-gun-in-blue.html 

1 minute ago, Yashy said:

I think i'd start with an AEG lines first.

Would this be a good thing to put apart and put back together and give it stupid upgrades and just play around with it in my backgarden and see how things work?

https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/double-eagle-m83-b2-electric-semi-automatic-bb-gun-in-blue.html 

or something like this to learn on? https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/double-eagle-m805a-electric-bb-gun-airsoft-rifle-in-blue.html

• Supporters

Those cheap Double Eagles have plastic shelled gearboxes.  That would generally rule them out as skirmish guns, but the components are likely to be the same as any other TM / CYMA clones (even if they end up having nylon bushings or even gears instead of metal), so you'd get an idea of what you were doing - and plenty of opportunities to fix things.

That said, you could consider starting with a broken boneyard gun and seeing if you can fix it - although you may find the cost to do so is higher than buying a working one to begin with once you've figured it out and found the parts.

It might be worth asking at your local site if anyone has a bits-box gun that they want rid of for petrol money.

On 27/11/2023 at 16:08, Rogerborg said:

Those cheap Double Eagles have plastic shelled gearboxes.  That would generally rule them out as skirmish guns, but the components are likely to be the same as any other TM / CYMA clones (even if they end up having nylon bushings or even gears instead of metal), so you'd get an idea of what you were doing - and plenty of opportunities to fix things.

That said, you could consider starting with a broken boneyard gun and seeing if you can fix it - although you may find the cost to do so is higher than buying a working one to begin with once you've figured it out and found the parts.

It might be worth asking at your local site if anyone has a bits-box gun that they want rid of for petrol money.

asked a local they said they aint got nothing.

Could you link me any recommendations?

Is there anything I could work on? and something i can just open up? 

My main gun is a SA-H22 and I DO NOT want to open that up!

• Supporters
59 minutes ago, Yashy said:

Not really. Boneyard guns are one-offs, always a gamble, and retailers tend to over-value them.  Asking around at your local sites, or hoping for an honest classifieds listing, is where I'd be looking.

1 hour ago, Yashy said:

asked a local they said they aint got nothing.

Is there anything I could work on? and something i can just open up? 

My main gun is a SA-H22 and I DO NOT want to open that up!

Are you looking for a working gun (regardless of gearbox type) to pull apart and see how it works? I've got a CYMA CM.028A AK just sat in the corner doing nothing. It was boneyard as the previous owner snapped a screw hole which i've repaired with an original part. It works but sucks ass IMO because of the creaky cheap plastic.

If you do start taking a pew apart, document the process

If I'm taking a replica apart that isn't common to me, I take pictures of what screws came from where, what way the pins came out, the gearbox shell when it's just opened etc. Saves a lot of guess work when it comes to reassembly, or thinking you've done a cracking job, put it all back together and you're left over with a handful of screws that should be somewhere. Also, when you do start taking screws out etc, try to do it on a rubber mat or something grippy. Nothing worse than spending an hour on the floor looking for that tiny screw or spring.

2 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Magnets, magnets, magnets.

My Grandad got into building RC planes after he contracted bird fanciers lung (showed canaries for years), always had a magnet on a string, took me years to realise why.

I always have an anchor magnet on 100' of rope in my van.  It has saved hours of time and swearing over the years.  Dragged across the lad's bedroom floor it found the Glock 18 selector spring in minutes.  He'd spent hours looking for the thing before confessing that he'd forgotten to open it up inside a see through plastic bag.  

Here's similar, think mine may be a bit stronger.  Take your watch off when using mind!  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neodymium-Fishing-Combination-Suitable-Hoisting/dp/B0C69B51YG/ref=asc_df_B0C69B51YG/

On 03/12/2023 at 23:29, Rogerborg said:

Not really. Boneyard guns are one-offs, always a gamble, and retailers tend to over-value them.  Asking around at your local sites, or hoping for an honest classifieds listing, is where I'd be looking.

With my SA-H22, (sorry for the questions) what would be a good spring upgrade? as it's so easy to change the spring? I know I have a spare m90- do you have any recommendations on a better spring?

I run .25bb

It should have a quick-change spring system so it should be easy to swap it without opening your gearbox but what is specifically wrong with your SA-H22's spring or your gun's performance that you deem it worth upgrading? Is its energy level so low that it's not competitive?

• Supporters

Well, it's a tech thread.  As above, first get a chrono so you know what energy - and variation - you currently have. Otherwise you'll have no idea whether anything you swap in is an upgrade, sidegrade, or downgrade.

22 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Take your watch off when using mind!

& your Prince Albert.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.