Rifle Advice M4 Platform (do it all rifle) 350fps, metal gearbox .. reasonably reliable ... Lightweight / polymer body preferably

airsoftot

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi

I've currently got a Aeres Ameoba 007. It's shooting 240fps. I only have Nimh battery. I have a few used mid-caps but mainly use hi-caps. At this point, I just want to sell what I have and buy a new rifle which is built/made to deal with 350fps... ideally great out the box or a solid platform I can build on for a few cheap performance upgrades (hop up, barrel e.g.). Or a used rifle with all the mods. I don't mind new or used. I don't really have a budget, I just don't want to spend money unneccesarily. I enjoy DIY and have loads of general tools.... so modifications aren't scary but I don't want to waste money.

So essentially the shortlist of what I -think- I'm looking for:

- M4 Platform

- Will use EPM1 Mags (seem the best to me?.. advice on this?)

- Metal gearbox

- 350FPS for UK sites

- shoot .28 / .30 for woods and wind/range

- Mainly semi-auto... possibly some full auto but not bothered about giga RPS. Tend not to be a sprayer.

- Reliable

- Lightweight / polymer body.

- Mixed woods/CQB... do it all

- Short/shorter style rifle maybe best for use? (do it all)

- not too sure on batteries but 11.1v lipo sounds nice

- anything else I've missed??

I wear a DYE i4 mask and would like to continue to. I understand I may need an adaptor for the stock

There's lot of options I'm honestly a bit lost with exactly what I should get... when I look at some things people recommend they are out of stock. I don't mind buying used but sometimes it's difficult to find the right deal. Also, I tend not to simply get bored of things, I just appreciate something very functional and I think this list is pretty good if there's something that meets everything.

Apologies if I've missed some sticky but would really like to hear your thoughts on some examples. Would apprecaite it if you could keep it pragmatic... im not a pro and have tried to research this myself

Thanks!

Edited by airsoftot

Is it just the low FPS you're bothered by?  I'm assuming that 240fps is on 0.20 BBs which is pretty low.  Since you're happy with a bit of DIY I'd be inclined to have a go at fixing it (assuming its out of warranty etc).  You might only be a spring change or poor air-seal fix away from a working gun.

I'd personally avoid used, too easy to buy a lemon unless you really know these things inside and out or can be sure you trust the seller.

It's becoming a bit of a meme around these parts, but the Double Eagle M9xx range of M4s are universally approved of as a well priced, reliable and decent performer.  

• Supporters

Just to add, I'd steer clear of the EPM1 mags. There is a wealth of people that have had feeding issues with them.

Some answers

- M4 Platform

Have you looked at VFC, they are more known for their hk 416 but it is close to an M4, and i keep my hk416 as a spare in care my gbbr craps out. Krytac are not bad but i believe they have some proprietary stuff ( dont take my word for it) Specna does some decent stuff and is better value than the previous brands i quoted, i’d stay away from marui recoil if you want recoil, go gbbr

- 350FPS for UK sites

- shoot .28 / .30 for woods and wind/range

Whatever replica you get, make sure you can install a good standard hop up chamber, put in a harder nub, and while you’re at it, why not get a nice barrel, Maple leaf are good, prommy can be excellent but some qc issues, PDI used to be a good standard, lots of threads on those subject online

Good hop/barrel set up will matter more for range and accuracy than fps, everyone will confirm

- Mainly semi-auto... possibly some full auto but not bothered about giga RPS. Tend not to be a sprayer.

keep the auto function on your rif, sometimes it can be fun to “get your gun off” if the site allows and you’re not magdumping someone 

- Reliable

Everyone will have different experience and opinion on that.

Have you considered hpa with a kythera which does semi only and put a co2 adapter in the stock so you dont have to deal with the line, that’ll be more reliable than a gearbox, and silent, or a mtw wolverine with wraith stock, it’ll cost but i havent hear anyone say anything bad about those yet.

- Lightweight / polymer body.

That’s not neccessary, get a well balanced rif, lighter rail at the front ( ex: change your picatinny to a keymod )

and use a correctly set up two point sling 

- Mixed woods/CQB... do it all

You’ll probably want a barrel at most 14.5 inch ( m4a1 length ). I would not go under 10 inch barrel ( MK18 or m4 cqbr) but that’s personnal preference, i dont want my rifle to have a smaller barrel than a pistol ( although i like the arps from g&G and the arp 556 could really be a good fit looking at your requirements )

- Short/shorter style rifle maybe best for use? (do it all)

Get a 10 in barrel, put in a pdw stock, or an arp 556

- not too sure on batteries but 11.1v lipo sounds nice

Cant see why that would be neccessary, but i’ll let someone else take this one

-I wear a DYE i4 mask and would like to continue to. I understand I may need an adaptor for the stock

I would advise a raised red dot, and you won’t need stock adaptor, and it looks tacticool ( it’s my next purchase ) 

Finally, you like diy and teching yourself, let me save you some grief, if you ignore the rest, make sure to pay attention to this: DO NOT open your gearbox on your main replica if you do not have a spare rif. If you put it back wrong ( and that’ll happen, that’s a when, not an if ) you cant play, you risk ruining other bits, and turn your 6mm war machine into a paperweight 

EPMs can cause feeding issues due to the strength of the sprint in some AEGs. I just use generic mid-caps from Nuprol and they've worked fine. I've heard about these Daniel Defence mid-caps getting popular in place of EPMs. I'm not sure if they're prone to the same issues or they're just EPMs in a different shell. I'd happily take 150 round mid-caps that have an extended follower.

There'll be a certain someone by soon to recommend the Double Eagle M904.

Edited by MrTea

1 hour ago, MrTea said:

There'll be a certain someone by soon to recommend the Double Eagle M904.

HELLO!!!!  (resident DE shill enters the conversation 😋)

I now own both the 904G and the 906C (metal body). The 906C gets my recommendation if you can spring for the extra cash and don't mind a little extra weight.

But... the stock rate of fire is quite low, and the motor gets quite toasty when spamming the semi auto, thanks to some active braking.  So it's not perfect, but it's great value. 

Investigate the Specna's and Cyma's as an alternative if your budget is at the lower end.

What's 'lightweight' to you my friend?  Lightweight elephant gun is different to lightweight airpistol...

My lightweight go-to is a G&G M4 Combat Machine.  When I fucked my back up a couple of years ago, I couldn't even think of playing with the LMG.  The old back up G&G came into it's own.  I even bought a CQB version for with magwell grip for an even shorter hold.  Hi-torque motor, rotary hop and ML, with a tightbore barrel and away you go and go, and go and go...  No longer a bargain though with the DE being much higher spec!

Seems like you already know what you want, so why don't you build your own dream gun?

UaiATC8.jpg

This is my main gun now, it started as a Specna C-02 and over time I pretty much replaced everything bar the polymer body.

I wanted low weight and performance, couldn't (still can't) give a fuck about looks, 6.7" front end with a 7" inner barrel in a sub 2kg (w battery and mag) package.

Not the most extreme in terms of RPS (22/30 with 7.4v/11.1v respectively) but lifts 0.32s up to 60/65 metres at 0.98J of energy and is rather efficient thanks to a Warhead motor.

It has a slightly longer and heavier brother which started its life as a Specna C-08 and now looks like this:

NQm6T71.jpg

Pretty much identical in terms of mechanical parts, the only difference is the barrel length (this one's 10")

20 hours ago, MrTea said:

EPMs can cause feeding issues due to the strength of the sprint in some AEGs. I just use generic mid-caps from Nuprol and they've worked fine. I've heard about these Daniel Defence mid-caps getting popular in place of EPMs. I'm not sure if they're prone to the same issues or they're just EPMs in a different shell. I'd happily take 150 round mid-caps that have an extended follower.

£99 for six seems like quite a competitive price, very interesting. I'm 50/50 though on if I'd miss the orange load indicator on the EPM1's, it's not that accurate but for me is a good guide for when they're almost full so I stop trying to grind even more BB's into them ;) 

Personally my EPM1's have been faultless, however I use them primarily in my DMR so slow and steady shots on semi only.

Edited by Fatboy40

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.