Can a lipo be too powerful? I can't not-destroy a piston within 10 minutes.

paradoxum

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Since going from a small nuprol stick lipo to this after modifying my stock to hold it, I can't not destroy any piston I use. 

Spektrum 2200mAh 3S 11.1V 100C Smart LiPo Battery IC3

I started with DSGs, after breaking a few pistons and knurling the teeth on it and buying like 2 extras to keep trying, I gave up and went to 1:13, but it's the same, I've gone through about 10 pistons now, and this isn't my first build I know how to AoE and shim properly etc. 

Oh, I have also tried various strength springs along with spring guide spacers to make it super tight, no matter what configuration it just wrecks pistons.

If it doesn't pull the metal rack off the piston and break the small plastic retainer on the front, it'll just grind down the teeth on both piston and gear. It seems like it's either too strong and pulls the rack off the piston, or the rack stays on and it just pushes the piston up and grinds on the teeth until it doesn't even pull. Yes have tried adjusting height of gear etc. I've honestly tried pretty much everything over like the year I was working on it, and just got fed up until now and since I spent so much money to build it I just want it bloody working.

Have also tried about several differently cut tappet plates; 

image.thumb.jpeg.f2e9fb5fbde64d8d346f57e6657b269d.jpeg

(I haven't worked on it for like a year so just trying to find old pics now, got a recent desire to finally get it running.)

You may have seen it before, it's the Orion;

image.thumb.jpeg.502242a62aeb88dac1fe2a736dc79c35.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e243c9d5c752288b5b150d3b97213d5c.jpeg

I have no idea what the setup was here but here's a clip of shooting at one point;

https://streamable.com/isymmn

It could fire like that for maybe half an hour before the piston breaks.

Unfortunately it's an ICS gearbox.

Parts list from my spreadsheet log;

image.thumb.png.a2b1c0368e23e2f1b74061a75e9a4543.png

I was looking at the jager 2 piston; https://airsoftmutation.com/products/the-jaeger-mkii-piston-pre-order but it's expensive and I don't wanna just wreck that in 5 minutes too.

Any real ideas guys?

Edited by paradoxum

• Supporters

The battery is but one component in a complete system.

Whilst the concept of "thou shalt not use 11.1v lest it destroy your pew" is complete bollocks, it is only so because its antithesis "7.4v shalt not save a speediboi motor spinning speedierboier gears" remains true.

End of the day for a given energy target there is a fixed cycle time, trying to push beyond this limit no matter how its acheived will result in sadness.

Yes short stroking or its deviant brother dsg'ing aim to allow shorter cycle times without failure, they do this by artificially increasing the spring rate required for a given energy target, thus reducing the chance of pme.

But the ultimate answer to the question of "muh trigger response" isn't in hammering the system until it cries for mercy but in leveraging the advantages of precocking and brushless motors but if that fails then the only answer is to slow it the fuck down.

If you really want cycle times measured in milliseconds and your rate of fire to be limited primarily by how long it takes a bb to work its way from the hop to the end of the barrel then hpa remains the easiest, and by that i mean least likely to fail catastrophically, method. At least with hpa the downside of trying to run too fast is a failure to feed rather than catastrophic failure.

• Supporters

As has been pointed out, ridiculous rof will soon seek out the weakness in a very complex chain. 

Probably one of the many reasons why they're referred to as "wanker guns", 5 minutes at that speed & they're properly wankered lol. 

My man, it's not the piston that's the problem, it's the build design. As others have stated, PME is your issue. Mild PME to be specific, which is why it's eating your piston and sector and not destroying the rack. This is a common issue.

However, the correct fix is not to short stroke, as it messes up timing in DSGs unless done extremely carefully, but to increase your spring power, shorten your barrel, and possibly play with the cylinder porting until you hit the correct balance.

I can't read your parts list (a little blurry for my eyes), but if you can drop a list of the motor, gear ratio, piston weight, barrel length, etc, I can give you an idea of where to go.

A well-built DSG will be just as durable (or even more durable) than an SSG. It just has to be built differently, and sometimes more carefully, than an SSG of similar joule output. The increased rate of fire causes the illusion of decreased durability, but in actuality a badly built SSG and badly built DSG will both crap themselves.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.