JG SIG S-552 "SEAL"

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

This is sort of a "How did your airsoft day go" post, but I might as well have this new thread as a repository for future tales of success / woe / dumb questions ;)

143265592_JGSIGS-552.jpg.871ae54b9b6fdf87ffdf718dd6b065c0.jpg

I bought this little beauty as a proper (two-toned) boneyard item quite a while ago.  It shot, but it had a particularly grindy motor with an awful, wheezy RoF only helped to something like normality by banging an 11.1v battery on it.  (Not a great long term plan, given the lack of MOSFET).  But it showed potential because it seemed quite accurate during the couple of times I tried it out.

I started the search for a replacement medium length motor... and found they're quite rare -  £45 brand new - and I didn't think it was worth spending that much money on.   Luckily I found one on eBay for a bargain price... buuuuuuut I managed to kill it when I fitted it (still not sure how).  Up to the loft went poor little Siggy.

Well, as I'm metaphorically (and occasionally actually) twiddling my thumbs I thought I'd have another crack at it.   Even if it was just back with the original motor, as a garden plinker.
Plumbed in the knackered motor and a battery.   

Smoke.  

No-worky.

Then a good bit of luck for a change - I found an old TM medium length motor I didn't know I had. 

I swallowed the necessary Brave Pill and took Siggy apart.  It may have been the act of cracking the gearbox but the internals weren't in their proper places.  I put everything back in place, only swore at the trigger a little bit.  And then spent an awful long time routing the cables around so they wouldn't get nipped or cut.  Had to take the body apart and retry several times... it's a bitch of a job because the cables always seem to find a way to move as you slide the receiver into place, and they get snagged.  Again. And again.  But eventually... all back together.

And the darned thing works.  Properly!

As an added bonus it still seems to shoot straight (only a couple of shots in the garden as the neighbours are out enjoying the sun) AND it's banging out 0.20s at 345fps.  Result!  
Now I need to do some proper accuracy / hop testing, to see if it's skirmishable.   If it is, I need some mags for it.   

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

You are a rif tech now.👍

Good work 🙂

If you’re able to cut an o-type shaft, you can make yourself a medium motor out of any long type. Cut the motor down the same way.

42 minutes ago, Shamal said:

You are a rif tech now.👍

Good work 🙂

It's the first time for a while where I've cracked the gearbox open and actually improved matters 😆

I've had temporary wins before, will have to have a good test shoot tomorrow, make sure everything stays in place and the piston doesn't eat itself!

I did manage a few more shots earlier, and just using the iron sights I walked the group into the bullseye on my target and dropped a good few hits in there.  It does seem accuracy is still really good for such a compact and cheap gnu

7 minutes ago, Leo Greer said:

If you’re able to cut an o-type shaft, you can make yourself a medium motor out of any long type. Cut the motor down the same way.

I did look at buying a pulling device to remove the shaft, but they were quite pricey iirc.  And I didn't entirely trust myself to fiddle with a motor properly.

("Shaft", "pulling", "fiddle" ... Ohhhhhhhhhh matron!)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Well done. You are now a tech!

I need to take the UAR apart again. Hop-up unsatisfactory and big joule drop again. Thought I'd sorted the air leak and rubber not torn so not sure what's going on.

12 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Shaft", "pulling", "fiddle" ... Ohhhhhhhhhh matron!

You beat me to it (more childish giggles at beat me)

I might have some sig high caps in the shed you're welcome to, I'm not sure how many of them work though 

5 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

You beat me to it (more childish giggles at beat me)

I might have some sig high caps in the shed you're welcome to, I'm not sure how many of them work though 

Oh man, that would be wonderful!  Thanks!  I've got access to some donor knackered high caps, so I'll take any you can spare, and maybe I can fix up the broken ones - let me know how to pay you for the postage 😃

I spent some time this morning trying to wedge either of my two 7.4v Li-po's into the cramped space in the front handguard.

What a pain in the arse it was too.

First step was to remove the bracing strut from the top half of the guard.  And then, even with a nunchuk battery with two slim 'arms', it was tricky to get it in there (wibble, fnarr fnarr).  I ended up having to tape into a single block, then tape it to the barrel, just to ensure it didn't move as the guards were pushed in to position.  Length was the main problem (yub yub etc), but it can be done.  It'll be good for half a day of skirmishing, hopefully! (1200mAH)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Well played!  Sorting out a RIF is always satisfying.  The lad is thinking of getting a 552 but midcaps are damned hard to find.

Yeah, there are 2 here....

https://lt-airsoft.com/product/ma-sig-552-100-round-mag/

... But that's about it.  All the others are mid/hi cap winders.

I've made my peace with high caps though.  Of course I prefer flash mags given the choice, but I'm trigger happy as feck when I'm not using my gas rifle, I'll do the team a favour and lay down the suppressive fire given the chance

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably bloody obvious to most of you, but today I discovered that my somewhat wheezy gun was cured of its asthma with a few turns on an Allen key to raise the motor height and get it adjusted correctly.  Now the gnu sounds nice and snappy!  

It's a shame my accuracy testing showed it's not shooting quite as tightly as it did before I worked on it.  Definitely fine for CQB and maybe it just needs to settle down again.  I'll be taking it for a proper outing on Sunday thanks to @Cannonfodder's donated high caps (cheers again!)

• 1 month later...

Well, all rather gutting that when I wanted to use the SIG, an accident got in the way and it ended up back in the gun bag...  the end of the outer barrel + suppressor got snapped off at Spec Ops yesterday.

This is what it looks like now... it is at least just a cosmetic problem, the gun does still seem to shoot straight

1358989315_JGSIGbroken.jpg.52f22cc23ee9a4e0d7c7e4db0f2b3238.jpg

The photo doesn't do a good job of showing it, but that's the 14mm CCW threaded part of the outer barrel that snapped off (quite cleanly on the gun side, but the broken piece has crumbled on one half, as can be seen above)

I guess there's just about enough left of the outer barrel to try to tap it again so I can still fit the suppressor (it really makes it look good), I certainly want to get a flash hider on there again at the least.

I don't think the outer barrel is a separate piece, I think it's part of the sight / gas block, but having removed one pin and the gas regulator, I can't see how it disassembles any further.  Replacing the whole part might be a bit pricey for this rescued boneyard gat.

Edit (to remove confusing bad info / question, and to link to bestest ebay item)

I need a 'left hand' 14mm with a 1mm pitch.   Which are 'unusual', but there's one on eBay for bugger-all money.  I'll probably give it a shot if you guys give it a thumbs-up!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290721694064

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

It is a one piece part so tapping it will prob be the cheapest & easiest option... check page 27

https://www.greekairsoft.gr/manuals/manual.asp?Manufacturer=JING+GONG&Filename=Jing+Gong+SIG552+S-552+082+Manual.pdf

Edited by gavinkempsell

Patrolbase seem to be an obvious choice... £150 seems a sensible price for a plastic bodied gnu

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/jing-gong-jg082-s-552-commando-aeg

Might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, I just checked a couple of places off a google search.

I wish I'd taken a pic of my gun before the damage occurred - it looked really, really nice with the suppressor, a foregrip, and an Eotech stuck on it :) 
I've got the die on order, if I can manage to get a working thread on the barrel and can set it up again, I'll post one here

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.