Bargain-basement lightweight hydration pack

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I can see the weather forecast for tomorrow is that it could get quite warm, and given I sweat like an oinker then I'm likely go get a tad thirsty. 
Luckily, thanks to Carlos' generosity at Special Ops, there'll be free bottles of water around... and it's too late to do anything about this now, but I'd like to get a hydration pack for in-game refreshment for the next skirmishes.

The thing is I run a battle-belt, so I'd much prefer it to be on my back and therefore it must have its own shoulder straps.
It'll need to be lightweight (doesn't need a huge capacity), and easy to maintain (cos I'm lazy)

And it's going to have to be cheap.  

I'm not entirely sure about having something 'used' from a hygiene point of view, but presumably a wash-out with sterilizing fluid will cover that.

Any suggestions for what I should get?  Is there something army-surplus that's a bargain?   Anything to avoid, or any 'gotchas' I should be aware of?  

Stuff I've found so far...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204258237607  British army 3 litre camelbak (£25 used)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225457714960   'Cadet' 2 litre pack (£25 new)

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/8fields-tactical-hydration-pack-w-bladder 8fields 1.5 litre (£18 new)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204183957526 Konbat UK 2 litre (£24 new)

You need a cleaning kit for the straw/hose bit.  I can recommend the army surplus bag, but I would go for a cheap bladder/inner rather than try and clean it.  I picked one up for about a fiver.  

I use and have use a wide variety of bladder systems over the years, during various actives so ill try to help. 

Unless space in the carrier or the weight is a massive issue I'd rather have more storage and not use all of it than not have enough water. 

Removable tube is super useful For routing through straps and kit, as well as cleaning. If it isn't its not the end of the world camelbak and source hydration use the same size tubes and source do a retrofitting kit to make tubes removable and its very good if you want to.

Better bladers don't affect the taste of the water, cheap ones do, must be the make up of the plastic. 

Both source and camelbak do tougher bladders for rougher use and I've not managed to pop one yet. 

Of the ones you listed I'd be going for the camelbak 3l version. Genuine camelbak and a sleeved tube. 

Edited by concretesnail

Camelback has my back every time👍

I sweat more than a nun in a cucumber field😂

From personal use, I'd go Source over Camelbak, I've popped a camelbak and not a source one yet.

I personally don't pew with a Bladder on. I just leave a bag full of my admin at re-gen. 

My gripe with bladders is I feel they promote over hydration, and running the risk of flushing the body of salts etc. It can be a fine balance but half a litre per hour of 'arduous' activity is sufficient. With bottles you get the benefit of filling one with an electrolyte for later in the day games to keep you going. Sorry for the lecture, just my 2 cents. 

I don't know if other brand have this issue, but if you get a camelbak make sure you don't pull on the tube too hard it's not in the right place. I learned this the hard way while on a hike on a particularly hot day and lost about ¾ of the water before I sorted it. Fortunately my route took me past a fishing club who let me refill it

Thanks for the info chaps 👍

When I played on Saturday it was quite warm, definitely worked up a sweat and a thirst, but it was all fine-and-dandy thanks to the easily available bottles of water.   I am probably going to Red Alert on the 14th though, along with some of my Spec Ops pals, and if water isn't free(ly) available, I think I'll need that hydration pack sharpish.  
I'm pretty sure I'm quite easy-going on my kit - too old to be running very fast (though I did do an accidental paintball-hero-slide into cover a couple of times on Saturday), so I'm not too fearful of damaging a camelbak, for instance.     I'll have another look for something bargain priced, but preferably new.

I guess the alternatives (which I'd forgotten to consider) are a simple canteen (too noisy when half full?  too bulky on the belt?), or a small water bottle holder / pouch... does anyone use the low-tech simple approach of either of those?

• Supporters
1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

a simple canteen (too noisy when half full?  too bulky on the belt?), or a small water bottle holder / pouch... does anyone use the low-tech simple approach of either of those?

Yes, I run a plastic Murcan canteen.  It carries liquid, you can drink from it, it worked fine during all those wars that Murca lost "drew".  Plus side, it's easier to clean than a CamelBak, downside, it's totally "not" leeching plastics into the water.  I should really look into finding some sort of stainless steel solution with the same dimensions before my cognitive fakulties deegrayd 2 fur.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Oooh electrolyte tablets, good shout there

Water-plus-peanuts-plus-about-500%-markup.

• Supporters
On 28/04/2023 at 21:56, Shamal said:

I sweat more than...

...a paedophile in Mothercare

8 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Water-plus-peanuts-plus-about-500%-markup.

This is all heading towards a lack of justification for spending money on new gear.  Or even 'stuff'.

This is very 'un-airsoft-like'.   We'll have our credentials cancelled if we're not careful ;)

• Supporters
7 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

This is all heading towards a lack of justification for spending money on new gear.  Or even 'stuff'.

This is very 'un-airsoft-like'.   We'll have our credentials cancelled if we're not careful ;)

Water = bladder = new hydration kit

Peanuts = field expedient sustainment = new pouch

Where's the problem?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.