Is r hop still the best

Jay91

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I was out of the sport for a few years and now that I've been back for a while I've decided that I'm going to be building a dmr rifle and was talking to someone at my local field who mentioned that with some of the hop rubbers about nowadays r hopped barrels aren't worth the effort. 

Is this the case? Can I get the same or similar results with something like a maple leaf rubber and flat nub?

I can do the r hop myself I'm just thinking that come time to replace just swapping hop rubbers would be a lot easier. The plan is to be using .35-.4s at around 440 fps

You get very similar performance for a) less money and b) less hassle.

It's more about how much you want to invest in your gun, both in terms of money and in terms of time spent on tweaking it.

• Supporters

A Maple Leaf and omega nub does a very decent job, through a clean barrel.

Other opinions are available, but bear in mind that it's airsoft, and there's a certain amount of magical thinking about the best shots, not the typical ones that miss due to wind, leaves or eddies in the space-time continuum.  There's only so much consistency possible when slinging tiny bits of plastic in the real world.

55 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

but bear in mind that it's airsoft, and there's a certain amount of magical thinking about the best shots, not the typical ones that miss due to wind, leaves or eddies in the space-time continuum.  There's only so much consistency possible when slinging tiny bits of plastic in the real world.

Yea I guess this is why I'm asking, I r hopped my previous rif's back when I used to play and I wasn't sure if I noticed a difference from a g&g green that I had flat hopped. When I was told I can get same results from an out of the packet option that didn't involve hassle when a patch sits wrong or needs replacing it had me curious

Another vote for the Maple Leaf/Omega Nub combination, although I prefer the slightly softer nub from AK2M4.

0.35g - 0.40g at 440 fps?

Probably still the best, bit less fiddly with more ready cut patch options and pre flat hopped rubbers these days. The cost difference isn't as significant if you're willing to install them yourself. If you're buying a pre done barrel is costlier. 

That being said the various alternatives are about 90% of the performance for a lot less hassle. As others have pointed out.

Might for instance put a r-hop on a beloved DMR. While the other stuff in the collection gets something more mundane.

Recently put a PDI W-hold in a carbine build as it's what I had in stock. Decent barrel and nice BBs, didn't feel particularly out gunned even if it is fairly dated set up.

18 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

A Maple Leaf and omega nub does a very decent job, through a clean barrel.

A Maple Leaf MR bucking, with a Maple Leaf AEG inner barrel so that the unusual MR patch sits perfectly and supports the "ring" on the bucking for the air-seal, and then say a Maxx Model M4A-PRO hop unit used with its solid metal concave nub is an out of the box great solution for range and consistency (I've a couple of Retro Arms CNC hop units, bought recently, and they're trash compared to the M4A-PRO).

Yes it costs but it's all just off the shelf components that require little skill to install, not much can go wrong if at all, and the results for me have been so worth it.

21 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

Yep, watched that, he does like to moan about things that get his own personal goat doesn't he 🙄

Well - you look at and work on enough guns - you learn what's good and what's not I suppose.

I recently signed up for his Patreon - his long-form videos on there have been really useful and entertaining. Even if he moans a lot.

• Supporters
20 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I'm sure yours is fine.

All three of mine are fine. Including my old first gen, red TE Pro version. YMMV.

Just had a full rebuild done by negative airsoft.

I now wouldn’t use anyone else.

I have rebuilt my own rifs for years as had 2 “techs” from shops work on them (ruin them) when I first started the rabbit hole of airsoft.

I simply can’t be bothered to do it anymore and frankly having seen and now used his work I wouldn’t recommend anyone else.

A decent air seal, correct air volume and a maple leaf hop rubber with nub means it now throws bbs at 1 joule as far as any of my  r/s hop patch rifs ever has.

Edited by Stratton Oakmont

10 minutes ago, Stratton Oakmont said:

A decent air seal, correct air volume and a maple leaf hop rubber with nub means it now throws bbs at 1 joule as far as any of my  r/s hop patch rifs ever has.

This, tbf.

I can hold my ground against r-hop bois in my club with properly set up guns and (Super) Macarons

On 16/04/2023 at 14:21, Stratton Oakmont said:

Just had a full rebuild done by negative airsoft.

I now wouldn’t use anyone else.

I have rebuilt my own rifs for years as had 2 “techs” from shops work on them (ruin them) when I first started the rabbit hole of airsoft.

I simply can’t be bothered to do it anymore and frankly having seen and now used his work I wouldn’t recommend anyone else.

I have an tm ngrs, even if he wanted to do it the ridicule wouldn't be worth it 😂

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.