Marui mp7 worth it?

Schnitz

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just now, Wavey_Gravey said:

Mate you can leave them stock and run them outdoor, they’re magic.

Never had issues with mine in the admittedly short time of 6 months but I ran it a lot. 

Thanks mate! Have you been running it with green gas? 

52 minutes ago, Schnitz said:

there not designed to run on green gas and don't need to. you can but you will speed up something breaking

1 hour ago, Schnitz said:

Thinking about picking one of these up and leaving it stock for cqb. I have heard of a few problems such as the sleepy trigger, cracking etc. How common are these issues and is it likely I will regret getting one if I do?

My friend has one and hates the magazines, but otherwise the gun seems great. Just pray the magazines don't spring any leaks as from what I've heard they're as bad as the mk23 magazines to work on.

I realise you mentioned the TM, but I’ve got a Gen 2 Umarex/VFC which has been running like a train since I got it.  It’s probably had 10k rounds through it totally stock, and apart from the stock catch needing replacing (common fault as the metal used is pants, but the replacement is steel and costs very little).  There were some teething issues on the first version, but the Gen 2’s are solid.

Gas efficiency is solid, with a fill giving about two to three mags before needing to be refilled.  In -5°C it was still running crisply on semi with Ultrair.  The Gen 2’s come with an NPAS installed so you can tune it to the conditions too.  

As an added bonus the VFC is 1:1 whereas the TM’s aren’t.

Edited by Duff Beer
Spelling

1 hour ago, Impulse said:

My friend has one and hates the magazines, but otherwise the gun seems great. Just pray the magazines don't spring any leaks as from what I've heard they're as bad as the mk23 magazines to work on.

Yeah I've heard they are a pain too. They have a 2 pin design which can be easily messed up during disassembly, or so I've heard

1 hour ago, Duff Beer said:

I realise you mentioned the TM, but I’ve got a Gen 2 Umarex/VFC which has been running like a train since I got it.  It’s probably had 10k rounds through it totally stock, and apart from the stock catch needing replacing (common fault as the metal used is pants, but the replacement is steel and costs very little).  There were some teething issues on the first version, but the Gen 2’s are solid.

Gas efficiency is solid, with a fill giving about two to three mags before needing to be refilled.  In -5°C it was still running crisply on semi with Ultrair.  The Gen 2’s come with an NPAS installed so you can tune it to the conditions too.  

As an added bonus the VFC is 1:1 whereas the TM’s aren’t.

I have actually fired the vfc come to think of it and it was nice. I've heard good things about the 2nd generation vfc gbbrs 

5 hours ago, Schnitz said:

Yep GG, even in the summer months when we had it hot!

Mags are fine unless your silly with them, don’t flick them around or drop them on hard surfaces…common sense. They’re actually peasy to work on if you need too, I’ve fixed some second hand once’s up before, you just need to remember the orientation of the pins.

I had one for a while, it was awesome. It was also a gate way drug into gbbrs which meant I bought a mws and I couldn't justify owning both. 

Was super good fun, ran it on green gas. 

Atrg blog has a great guide on fixing leaky mp7 mags. 

9 hours ago, Schnitz said:

I have actually fired the vfc come to think of it and it was nice. I've heard good things about the 2nd generation vfc gbbrs 

I don’t know about the rest of their range, but if they’re as effective as the MP7 I’d have no issues buying one!

if you’re ever at Invicta let me know and you’re welcome to take mine for a spin.

Had a Tm mp7 GBBR for about 7 years, still completely stock internally other than the inner barrel and hop rubber (hop rubber was wear and tear)

mags can be leaky after a while, but gasket seal around the baseplate sorts this, all my original 6 mags work perfectly still , the 2 i bought a few years later are fine without any sealer, 

range and accuracy has always been great, can compete with most full size rifles.

maintenance wise, it does need a clean every now and then, but once you get the hang of this its fairly simple.

ive used green gas and abbey Brut sniper gas for years with no issues, did run a couple of mags with propane right at the start, but it didn’t seem necessary

issues wise mine has a sleepy trigger thats only just turned up, haven't had it apart to check it out yet but should be easy enough to fix.

overall it has been a firm favourite for years, often I've chosen to use it instead of my Ghk for longer events, 

22 hours ago, Impulse said:

as bad as the mk23 magazines to work on.

Mk 23's are simple to work on.

As it happens I did one of mine yesterday. It was leaking from base.

Popped out pins, removed base took old o ring out, put in new one. Took out fill valve removed o ring and put on new one. Reassembled,gassed up,stood in bowl of water and no bubbles. Whole job prob ten mins.🙂

They're a lot of fun, and although I've not taken mine out to skirmish, have taken it to the range a lot. 

Completely stock and on green gas, it lifts .28s and .3s out as far as my MWS. For CQB I reckon it'd be awesome. 

As I don't use it for gameplay though, I'll be selling it to someone who will, but I don't regret buying it. 

• 2 weeks later...

It’s incredibly fun.

I bought mine from BigStew couple years back and it was a blast from the start.

I had some issues with it recently but was serviced by KOA and is perfect again.

leaky mags like others have mentioned are probably the main issue.

overall I highly recommend 

5 hours ago, Hilldo87 said:

It’s incredibly fun.

I bought mine from BigStew couple years back and it was a blast from the start.

I had some issues with it recently but was serviced by KOA and is perfect again.

leaky mags like others have mentioned are probably the main issue.

overall I highly recommend 

Big shout to Sam at KOA. 

All this said, I'm probably going to get myself one of these at some point too. I like my AEP one for winter months, but I really love my KWA mp9 GBBR and I love the mp7. Plus, from what I can see the TM mp7 uses VSR rubbers which encourages me to do silly things 🙄

Just to chuck this into the mix... and because I'm borderline-obsessively looking at MP7's and MP9's, even after getting my 416...

This is currently "news banner number 1" on the Patrolbase website...

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/umarex-h-and-k-mp7-a1-airsoft-gbb-smg

So that's £290 for a full trades MP7.

From a quick search on reviews etc it seems the upsides of the Umarex are:

1) Full size

2) Higher RoF than TM MP7

3) Slightly cheaper gun

4) ... errr that's it?

And the downsides are 

1) Expensive mags (£54 vs £40 for TM)

2) Less good at low temps

3) Allegedly less reliable

4) No need for a number 4.

5) Five is right out.

Personally I'd question the reliability issue - we know the TMs aren't perfect with sleepy trigger, and chassis cracks, so it's a matter of what breaks on the Umarex, and how pricey to fix?
There are owners on YT and Reddit who say their guns have been perfect, so obviously, as is always the case, YMMV

The mag cost and a more pronounced cool-down effect  are the actual deal-killers, in my eyes.

Any Umarex MP7 owners out there care to comment?
Edit:  Oh, just happened to notice @sjhirst has one on his sig. How is it?

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Just to chuck this into the mix... and because I'm borderline-obsessively looking at MP7's and MP9's, even after getting my 416...

1) Full size

3) Slightly cheaper gun

4) ... errr that's it?

And the downsides are 

5) Five is right out.

Personally I'd question the reliability issue - we know the TMs aren't perfect with sleepy trigger, and chassis cracks, so it's a matter of what breaks on the Umarex, and how pricey to fix?
There are owners on YT and Reddit who say their guns have been perfect, so obviously, as is always the case, YMMV

The mag cost and a more pronounced cool-down effect  are the actual deal-killers, in my eyes.

Umarex means it's VFC honestly no idea what their GBBs are like

My 416 is an Umarex / VFC.  It's built like a tank externally, excellent recoil, feels great, but obviously I can't speak to what it's like to skirmish and live with yet...

Negative Airsoft's Luke hates VFC AEGs from what I can see  ;)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

4 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

1) Full size

3) Slightly cheaper gun

4) ... errr that's it?

And the downsides are 

5) Five is right out.

I mentioned the VFC/Umarex version further up the thread, but mine’s been really good.  I’ve got the Version 2 (like the AEG’s the version two ironed out the niggles from the first version.

I use it with Ultrair, and I used it indoors in November and December where ambient temperatures were hovering around 0°C (and sometimes lower), and it worked absolutely perfectly in semi.  The Black Site doesn’t allow auto, so no idea how that would have faired, but even sticking a semi burst down I had no issues.  The version 2 has an NPAS so it can be tuned for the conditions which is a bonus.

The mags have been gas tight for the last couple of years since I got them, and I don’t really do anything over and above the norm to maintain them.  They’re not cheap though, and because it’s 1:1 you have to make sure you’re buying pouches for real steel rather than Marui if you go kydex.  The mags are super easy to load from the bottom rather than through the feed lips, and although they say they’re 40 rounds you’ll get about 44 in there without any issues.

The only part that has broken was the stock lock catch which is a known failure point due to being cheap pot metal.  A steel replacement part is about £15 and took all of 10mins to change.

The bolt release and safety are held on with the worlds smallest grub screws, to definitely locktite them.  It’s a faff to take apart for barrel/hop changes, but to be fair for CQB/FIBUA it’s perfect as stock so I won’t change either.  

I bought the rubber butt pad because the standard one is cheap plastic.  That was about £10.

I’d happily recommend it to anyone based on my experience.  

7CC081EA-EA19-4512-A678-74F9526C0547.jpeg

Edited by Duff Beer
Added a photo of the MP7 and a P8 (which is not so effective in the cold)

23 minutes ago, Duff Beer said:

I mentioned the VFC/Umarex version further up the thread, but mine’s been really good.  I’ve got the Version 2 (like the AEG’s the version two ironed out the niggles from the first version.

I'm so sorry I missed your post for some reason - but thanks for all the info - it's making me feel like it's a toss-up between the two.  
Is there a way to visually tell v1 and v2 apart, in case I spot one in the Classifieds?

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

2 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I'm so sorry I missed your post for some reason - but thanks for the all the info - it's making me feel like it's a toss-up between the two.  
Is there a way to visually tell v1 and v2 apart, in case I spot one in the Classifieds?

No worries, I did ramble a bit 😂

If memory serves the V2 has a metal outer barrel (unscrew the flash hider and pop off the front cap to check) as well as the NPAS (take both body pins out, slide the bolt assembly out and look down the nozzle).  I bought mine in 2019 at the British Shooting Show, so I’d be very surprised if a new one from a retailer was a V1

Edit: I’ve just had a look at the description on the link you gave.  I don’t know what they’re talking about with the follower snapping the feed lips; I’ve let go of mine a couple of times and the worst that’s happened is that it pinged a BB out. Definitely don’t drop the mag’s though or the baseplate will fail and you’ll need to order a new plate, spring follower, spring, and BB follower.  This is the voice of experience, but at least they’re cheap.  You’ll need to import from Hong Kong (no bother MLE Mart carry them all and they arrive in about two weeks), but if you order a few you’ll be sorted.  When I dropped my mag it dented the corner of the base of the mag but it’s still perfectly gas tight. 

Edited by Duff Beer

3 hours ago, BigStew said:

Umarex means it's VFC honestly no idea what their GBBs are like

I've got the Umarex MP7, used it extensivly even in woodland games and can't fault it tbh. Shoots well on .30's has great range and acuracy and has never missed a beat. The only issue I'm aware of relates to the mag catch, a mate got one the same time as me and it would drop a mag randomly. We put a new catch in it and it's been spot on ever since.  TBF patrolbase offered to replace it but was an easy job so not worth returning it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.