Comms advoce

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

If it’s just you and your son keeping in touch out on the field yea definitely go for the cheap’n’cheerful PMR option like the kind you can pick up from Argos for a couple of 🦑 but do be prepared for a bit of bleedout from others users when on site with a lot of players all using a limited number of channels . There are many different more ‘professional’ radios available but I do think it’s fair to say for 90% of players the next step up is to go for a Boefeng handset that has a myriad of programmable channels BUT as Tommikka said you should have a licence To run them , I will also say in all the yrs of playing I’ve never actually spoken to anyone who has a licence to use them . Now I am not advocating breaking the law in any way shape or form BUT I’ve also never encountered or heard about anyone being prosecuted for using said handset for Airsofting either . So ultimately it’s up to you what you want out of going with Comm’s and how you want to go about it . 👍

1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

If it’s just you and your son keeping in touch out on the field yea definitely go for the cheap’n’cheerful PMR option like the kind you can pick up from Argos for a couple of 🦑 but do be prepared for a bit of bleedout from others users when on site with a lot of players all using a limited number of channels . There are many different more ‘professional’ radios available but I do think it’s fair to say for 90% of players the next step up is to go for a Boefeng handset that has a myriad of programmable channels BUT as Tommikka said you should have a licence To run them , I will also say in all the yrs of playing I’ve never actually spoken to anyone who has a licence to use them . Now I am not advocating breaking the law in any way shape or form BUT I’ve also never encountered or heard about anyone being prosecuted for using said handset for Airsofting either . So ultimately it’s up to you what you want out of going with Comm’s and how you want to go about it . 👍

Yes it's fairly easy with the connecting lead and software to program the bf 888 so that you can have a fairly clear team channel. I've got 10 of them and they are pretty good on battery longevity and very uncomplicated.the only real gripe with them is that the outer sleeve of the antenna can become detached revealing the coiled element when going through bushes and such.

There is a very short stubby antenna which gets over this. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, EDcase said:

THESE say they use PMR frequency so should be OK.

Or Just look for any PMR446 walkie-talkies

They use PMR frequency but they're 5W so not strictly legal.

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

I think that the model may be PMR legal, but there’s a lot about that get sold in PMR frequencies but aren’t fully compliant 

If it’s set to PNT frequencies, and only programmable within those. Plus power limited and can’t have the aerial replaced for greater range etc then they are PMR compliant

Those that just get a smaller aerial and programmed aren’t truly PMR compliant 

But of course it’s not a problem if nobody is caught / prosecuted.

But there are great PMRs out there for a good price.

A licence is cheap enough if someone does want the extra range and different frequencies.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Lozart said:

They can go up to 3W, but the last time we had this <ackchyually> handbag fight, I think we came to the conclusion that the 888S / 88E models come pre-set to low power 0.5W (and the PMR channels).

You can reprogram them to full power, but it's only the act of transmitting above PMR power levels that's the offence, so whether they're (strictly speaking) "PMR" or not is fairly academic.  And in any case, if you stick to PMR channels, you'll never interfere with, or come to the attention of, anyone who matters, even at a throbbing 3 or 5W.

I reckon the 888S / 88E makes a decent argument for itself as a cheap turn-on-and-talk solution.

On 02/07/2022 at 08:44, Tommikka said:

Many will suggest Baofengs, but for legal use they require a licence.

To transmit

Edited by Badgerlicious

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Jacob Wright said:

So if one was to simply listen, they wouldn’t be committing any offence? 🤔😂

Sure, and sale, purchase and possession doesn't require a loicence either.  Practically speaking, the chances of you being caught, prosecuted and convicted beyond a reasonable doubt are somewhat less than getting a straight yes or no answer out of a politician.

Oh 100%, Ofcom have yet to catch up with a neighbour who hasn’t bought a tv licence for years, so I can’t see them staking out many safezones any time soon. 

However I appreciate that people should be made aware that by transmitting with one without a licence then they are committing an offence. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.