Advise - 2nd-hand RIF's

Wraithspider

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

All very sage.

If possible, buy in person after trying.  No swaps, no PayPal Friends and Family.

Be aware that while you're legally OK to buy or try and buy a RIF without a defence, the sort of person that you'll want to buy from is also the sort of person who might ask to see some form of defence for selling it to you.

You'll often find folk at your local site with stuff to sell, which ticks most of the boxes above (in person, try-before-buy, and they know what you'll be using it for).  One of the most annoying things about Facebook is that it cracks down on any hint of "want 2 buy" remotely related to toy guns, so you may have to actually ask around on site.

That's pretty much it in those two posts, but most specifically the seller part.

If they have no feedback it's a risk, they may be on the level, they may not, no way to know.

If you're feeling cautious ask for a video of the item, particularly with RIFs, ask to see a video of the seller shooting it. It's a reasonable request where triple figure £is involved.

If they balk at providing such then probably best to walk away from the sale.

• Supporters

As others have said do your research on the seller and ALWAYS ask for a clip of it working , you can get a lot from just a few secs of video of seeing and hearing it running . Plus if you don't know the character of the seller try and stick with adverts that have loads of pictures of the gun or the seller is willing to supply more pics(there are a few guys in the sport that I’d buy a gun from with out even seeing any pics of it as I know their trustworthy , but not many😉)but if there’s just one pic of the gun in a box and they won’t send any more walk away .

Unfortunately though in the end even with ALL the precautions you can think off there’s still a chance you can get a lemon hasn’t stopped me buying , just the nature of the beast when shopping 2nd hand .👍

Also to add to the posts above, watch out for the scammers

You may recieve a message if you post a wanted ad saying something like "my friend is selling ********, email them here..................

As above also never use paypal friends and family or bank transfer unless you know the person you're buying from.

I've had a couple off people try the above scam but the gun they tried to sell me was one from the forum that I had already brought 😂

• Supporters

Lots of good tips out there already.

The thing i'd say is to assume the worst internally and buy based on externals. Many pews can look and even shoot somewhat decently but have some serious gremlins under the hood that even an honest seller might not know about if they arent the type to work on their own pews. This is especially the case for anything with "upgrades".

Dont beleive any claims like "shoots like a laser" etc, not because the seller is necessarily stating a false beleif, but how do you know their definition/expectations of a good shooter matches your own?

I'm not saying that every secondhand pew is a wreck, indeed i have bought some fantastic pews from these forums, but if you're prepared for the worst (eg budgeting for a proper tech overhaul, or parts if you like tinkering yourself) then anything better will be a bonus.

As has been mentioned above use goods+services when paying, an honest seller shouldnt have any issues with this, if they kick up insisting on freinds+family or bank transfer then walk away, there's always another pew.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Wraithspider said:

Thanks for the replies and great advice, when I'm looking at sales adverts what does 'this advert is completed' mean? 🤔

Exactly that, Completed, finished, nothing to see here, prob be easier if it just said "SOLD", but then the pedants would be like "but I didn't sell it, I swapped it" 🤣

25 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Exactly that, Completed, finished, nothing to see here, prob be easier if it just said "SOLD", but then the pedants would be like "but I didn't sell it, I swapped it" 🤣

What does it mean if it says uncompleted then oh wize won 🤔

😉

Make sure that it's what you want to buy.  Sounds obvious, but selling on an unused rif is a PITA.  

Have you tried an example of what you're buying?  Do you need it for a particular style of gameplay or loadout?  

If it's a first rif, factor in ease of tinkering if you are by nature a tinkerer.  M4 platform is pretty easy, especially with a QD spring.  You'll never want for mags etc either with a common platform (hopefully).  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Make sure that it's what you want to buy.  Sounds obvious, but selling on an unused  SECONDHAND rif is a PITA.  

Fixed that for ya 😜

(I'm not pedantic much😬

All good advice above

even an experienced forum dweller falls fowl of some items bought used.

Ive just bought a “cared for “ rif on a used selling website 

I asked all the right questions, got a video sent to my mobile of it working

confirmed what was included etc,etc

Then the rif arrived with a couple of small niggles, nothing to stop it working but it was jammed when it arrived with me and needs maybe £30 of parts fitted to make it operate like it should

When I contacted the seller about the problems, ten minutes after it had arrived I add, I got the stock answer of

”it was fine when it left me mate”

So beware, the Parcel Force pixies are able to get into a wrapped box and lock a charging handle back and fcuk the release lever 🙄

Just as well I paid PayPal G&S and not bank transfer like the seller wanted

Im able to raise a dispute if he doesn’t do the honourable thing and help cover the costs

Success will be limited, but I’m in with a chance at least

• Supporters
15 hours ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

not bank transfer like the seller wanted

Was that not a warning sign to begin with?  Seems a little "I've started dating a redheaded stripper called Tiffanii, hopefully she won't be crazy."

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.