Lighter weight and compact rifle

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am a big fan of my TM Aug high cycle. It's considered one of the better of the high cycle series. It outperforms any of my other stock rifles despite the low FPS.

ROF out of box is impressive. 

It's fairly easy to take apart and work on, but I would grab some spare parts when you find them. 

I'm for the AUG if you like the look and feel of the platform. It's light in my mind and the weight in the back means it's much easier to carry then most rifles. 

Then again I like weird and wonderful and can put up with the quirks of something different. 

Edited by Asomodai

14 hours ago, EDcase said:

(Damnit, how do you kill off an old quote block???)

4 hours ago, Asomodai said:

I am a big fan of my TM Aug high cycle. It's considered one of the better of the high cycle series. It outperforms any of my other stock rifles despite the low FPS

ok you've warmed me back up to the idea!  But as a heftier investment it'll maybe get pushed down the pecking order by some of the bargain m4s out there 

But that is maybe a false economy when I've already got an M16...  Arrrggh 🥴

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
22 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I have had issues with people in plate carriers genuinely not feeling hits though, I wouldn't encourage them.

Totally agree , I find the kind of player that has ‘realistic’ plates in their carriers also generally wear the noise cancelling headphones so not only do they not feel the hit they can’t hear it either !

happened at Vendetta last wk , put a couple in to a player center mass he carried on when I pulled him for it he did appear genuine about not knowing , even came and apologised in the safezone . Another possible negative to being all tacticool ? 

12 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

ok you've warmed me back up to the idea!  But as a heftier investment it'll maybe get pushed down the pecking order by some of the bargain m4s out there 

But that is maybe a false economy when I've already got an M16...  Arrrggh

This might not help at all then :D

Patrol base have the MAG mags for £40 for 4.

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/patrol-base-170rd-aug-magazines-box-of-4

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
5 hours ago, Asomodai said:

It's fairly easy to take apart and work on, but I would grab some spare parts when you find them.

Huge segue here, but I don't suppose you know the dimensions for the screws used to secure the rear plate, that sits behind the gearbox? I've lost both.

1 hour ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Huge segue here, but I don't suppose you know the dimensions for the screws used to secure the rear plate, that sits behind the gearbox? I've lost both.

Don't bother looking for individual screws. Just get a pack of assorted sizes in stainless. You have them then for all other projects as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Assortment-Stainless-Hexagonal-Countersunk-Fastener/dp/B0933KXYZ4/ref=sr_1_21?crid=1M4KF2N6BH36&dchild=1&keywords=small+screws+assortment&qid=1634488363&s=diy&sr=1-21

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
3 hours ago, Iceni said:

Don't bother looking for individual screws. Just get a pack of assorted sizes in stainless. You have them then for all other projects as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Assortment-Stainless-Hexagonal-Countersunk-Fastener/dp/B0933KXYZ4/ref=sr_1_21?crid=1M4KF2N6BH36&dchild=1&keywords=small+screws+assortment&qid=1634488363&s=diy&sr=1-21

Legend, cheers

21 hours ago, EDcase said:

Golden Eagle is JG Works

I suspect Double Eagle are related but haven't found anything concrete on that.

They're 100% different companies.

I went down a bit a rabbit hole recently  looking into them, and this is "Double Eagle"...

https://trademark.trademarkia.com/qap-87130106.html

... so their parent / real company is "Fujian Qing An Precision Machinery Manufacturing Co., Ltd.", with the QAP brand being big in Asia and to some degree labelled Double Eagle elsewhere. They OEM for a few other bigger name brands as well, but also make cheap nasty plastic guns for USA supermarkets which is where their bad reputation comes from.

In the UK Patrol Base is the only place to really buy the M90X's from, and the price is fair as if you add in import duty / taxes on top of the prices from TaiWanGun the costs are practically identical.

One interesting thing is that the metal bodied M906E is currently £10 cheaper at Patrol Base than the identical but polymer bodied M904E :)

Edited by Fatboy40

14 hours ago, Fatboy40 said:

They're 100% different companies.

I went down a bit a rabbit hole recently  looking into them, and this is "Double Eagle"...

https://trademark.trademarkia.com/qap-87130106.html

... so their parent / real company is "Fujian Qing An Precision Machinery Manufacturing Co., Ltd.", with the QAP brand being big in Asia and to some degree labelled Double Eagle elsewhere. They OEM for a few other bigger name brands as well, but also make cheap nasty plastic guns for USA supermarkets which is where their bad reputation comes from.

In the UK Patrol Base is the only place to really buy the M90X's from, and the price is fair as if you add in import duty / taxes on top of the prices from TaiWanGun the costs are practically identical.

One interesting thing is that the metal bodied M906E is currently £10 cheaper at Patrol Base than the identical but polymer bodied M904E :)

Cheers for that, very informative!
I actually watched part of the Negative Airsoft video linked earlier in the thread, where he said *lots* of positive things about Double Eagle (like how they haven't crossed his desk as a tech, so they're reliable, presumably)

As I started this thread asking for 'light weight' I was thinking that the M906 would be ruled out, but actually there's only a tiny weight difference.

The fire control system is really rather spiffy and all done with the gun, no external gubbins required - I watched a video of a chap programming an M904 for not only the burst modes but also the trigger sensitivity. 
The same video did show it connected up to a 11.1 with a really good RoF, but I see that Patrolbase says
"Please note that an 11.1v LiPo is only recommended by the manufacturer on the grounds that the replica is firing above 390FPS. As your purchase will be firing at less than this out of the box, please avoid the use of an 11.1v Battery. "  
Would ignoring that 'just' speed up wear, or is that asking for some catastrophic failure?

So yeah, liking the M906's a lot, looks like a front runner for the M4 option!

@RostokMcSpoons I run my M904E with 11.1v LiPo, no problems at all, but only get to use auto at one site I go to but it's very fast and lays a hail of plastic. If you're only ever going to be on semi maybe 7.4v would be better, as if I spam the trigger on semi with an 11.1v you can feel the motor steadily getting hotter in the grip.

Be aware though that Falcon MOSFET doesn't have all the bells and whistles like pre-cocking and braking, but I like three round burst rather than full auto so I'm not burning through BB's (lots of trigger pulls though on burst is pretty much the same as full auto anyhow).

• Supporters
22 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

The fire control system is really rather spiffy and all done with the gun, no external gubbins required - I watched a video of a chap programming an M904 for not only the burst modes but also the trigger sensitivity. 

The same video did show it connected up to a 11.1 with a really good RoF, but I see that Patrolbase says
"Please note that an 11.1v LiPo is only recommended by the manufacturer on the grounds that the replica is firing above 390FPS. As your purchase will be firing at less than this out of the box, please avoid the use of an 11.1v Battery. "  
Would ignoring that 'just' speed up wear, or is that asking for some catastrophic failure?

I’d say it’s a bit of a ‘6 of 1 , half a dozen of the other’ situation ? yes a 11.1v is going to have a negative effect on it BUT it’ll have a negative effect on ANY gun if you run it full auto for prolonged periods , it’s just a case of how long that damage will take to happen ? if you are predisposed to sticking a high cap in a gun and firing full auto all the time then yes I’d definitely say run it on 7.4’s and have to change your batteries regularly and even on the lower voltage be prepared for it to go tits up sometime in the near future , but if you play what I think most would consider a ‘normal’ style of play(aimed single shots with the odd use of auto)then one would think there shouldn’t be any problems with using 11.1v batteries in it should there ? 

Personally I would advise against using an 11.1 with anything other than a blowback system.

As noted by our esteemed Druid, 11.1 will wear parts faster especially using auto.

Semi is better but if something does go out of alignment in the firing sequence, the consequences will likely be worse.

Thinking about it , once I get to 3 guns and a pistol, I'm going to go all Dogs Of War feel confident about having enough pew-pew kit to suffer the odd setback with a broken part.  And as I've got an on-site tech, and I've almost successfully negotiated a spring change, fixing guns doesn't feel so scary now.  (But maybe getting the spare parts is ;))

And also my sites' games are quite often in short-range areas where only single shot is allowed anyway, and I go for short bursts when I am in full auto.   

So 11.1 ahoy, me hearties!

Sorry to bump my own thread, if that's a hangable offence then ... Well please don't hang me, just tell me so, I'll take the hint.

Anyway unfortunately my game today was a bit of a disaster kit-wise.  My 'repaired' guns both died when I was dialing in the hop up on the range.  Even my pistol refused to hold gas. I ended up with a rental that wouldn't hold my m4 mags well enough to feed properly.  I was pretty gutted tbh, and on the point of going home. 

But then I swapped for a G&G Raider v1, and things picked up!  That gun is excellent. It didn't look box fresh, and one of my mags didn't work well with it (I think my original classic army metal mag), but it ran so nicely, reached a decent range, and felt so solid in the hand.  Polymer for the win.  Good stuff! 

I didn't notice the trigger being slow, but neither did I feel the gun was snappy. The RoF was... fine.   So there's some mediocrity in the mix.

The upshot is I'll definitely consider the Combat Machine guns to be a solid option, and if retail stock levels and the condition of my current guns dictate I get one, I won't be unhappy!

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters

Oh, sorry to hear that.  Airsoft guns can be phenomenally fragile, it only takes any one of many tiny pieces being fractionally off to ruin your day.  My sniper just barely made it through chrono yesterday before locking up solid, and it was onto backup AEG #1.  I wouldn't even show up now without at least 3 usable guns.

But it's good to hear that you had a G&G epiphany.  Yup, the CMs might be plastic, but it's a robust plastic. They might have dial hops, but they're consistent.  There are few surprises in there, and still worth considering even if the likes of Specna Arms and Lancer Tactical list more features.

2 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

But then I swapped for a G&G Raider v1, and things picked up!  That gun is excellent. It didn't look box fresh, and one of my mags didn't work well with it (I think my original classic army metal mag), but it ran so nicely, reached a decent range, and felt so solid in the hand.  Polymer for the win.  Good stuff! 

I use mine a boring amount of time.  Basic rotary hop and a plug in 'fet and away you go.  

I originally bought it as I saw how the rentals were abused at a local site.  Years later it is still running as well/poorly as it ever did.

• Supporters

Ex-Workmate Eddy has been rocking a CM16 for years, and I don't think he's done anything more than charge the battery, but it just keeps going.  He dialled the stock hop in once for 0.25g, and likely hasn't touched it since.  I mean, I can point at all the extra "features" on my "upgraded" Specna Arms, but at the end of the day (and at the start and middle too), his G&G puts BBs downrange pretty much as well.  You can change the barrel, hop, rubber, motor and electrics, but you don't actually have to.

On 25/10/2021 at 02:19, EDcase said:

BUT

Once you try a recoil... 😁

I did have a quick look at a couple of EBB guns, they're all tending to be quite expensive! 
I think I mentioned my initial plan of buying an L85, it would have been the G&G with a somewhat fragile EBBR system, which I've discounted anyway due to the weight of it.
I must say I do love the feel of the recoil of my GBB pistol, it's all a bit dramatic and immersive, but that's now decided to die on me so a GBB rifle would be a hard sell right now!

What gun(s) are you running?  

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

What gun(s) are you running?  

I'm using a Lonex BAW (L4-01) which is amazing but unfortunately really hard to find now.

Alternatives would be BOLT and TokyoMarui NGRS

GBBs do tend to destroy themselves after some time but parts can usually be replaced without much difficulty.

Again, TMs tend to be made from better materials that last longer.

The downside of GBBRs in games is the expense of magazines and lack of ammo compared to the one-man-army hi-caps.

On 26/10/2021 at 11:48, EDcase said:

I'm using a Lonex BAW (L4-01) which is amazing but unfortunately really hard to find now.

Alternatives would be BOLT and TokyoMarui NGRS

GBBs do tend to destroy themselves after some time but parts can usually be replaced without much difficulty.

Again, TMs tend to be made from better materials that last longer.

The downside of GBBRs in games is the expense of magazines and lack of ammo compared to the one-man-army hi-caps.

I'm very tempted to get away from Hi-Caps as I was sounding like a whole orchestra of maracas when I was running around on Sunday (well, maybe jogging would be closer.  Or waddling.  Anyway, movement was noisy!)

But presumably the GBBR mags hold the gas too, and so they're extra expensive?  Yeah I can't go for that really.

I'll look longingly at the TMs but I think they're north of £400 aren't they?  I've already baulked at the Aug Hi-Cycle that I really like the look of. And that's a mere £280.

But... if I sell one of my guitars, I could throw a bit more cash at it...  anyone want to buy a Fender Telecaster?  ;)

Edit: just in case anyone is interested in this thread in the future and wants to know what the outcome was .. I bought the double eagle m906c which is compact, solid, and fantastic 😍

Edited by RostokMcSpoons
Typo. The purchase!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.