Tech Advice Needed - Overspin and Inconsistent, Low FPS

Ragingrental

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So maybe it could be a QC issue? I've recently asked on other platforms and heard  from people that they have used maple leaf rubbers with the specna arms stock hop unit without issues. Although I do think they might be making things up or that they maybe aren't people that aren't very  trustworthy or someone to be taking advice from.

As for the first question the bb's don't even leave  the  barrel at all. I can fire a burst in auto and it won't fire, or I can spam the trigger in semi and it won't fire.  There isn't any difference between the two.

I don't know what speed/delay issue might mean.

On 01/07/2021 at 17:43, Skara said:

Oddly enough, I only had bad experiences with G&G greens. Bad air seal, couldn't lift 0.25s, bad consistency (bbs were flying left and right, everywhere but where I was aiming at).

I've been chasing an accuracy issue for a while in a rifle with a G&G green fitted.  I might try a swap reading this comment.  It lifts .28s and .3 fine and seals well, but still worth a try.   It's been a frustrating issue!  

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Ragingrental said:

So maybe it could be a QC issue? I've recently asked on other platforms and heard  from people that they have used maple leaf rubbers with the specna arms stock hop unit without issues. Although I do think they might be making things up or that they maybe aren't people that aren't very  trustworthy or someone to be taking advice from.

qc is an ever present possibility, i can't see anything intrinsically wrong with any of those parts, but it's always the way with airsoft that even good parts might not work quite right for a given gun.

8 hours ago, Ragingrental said:

I don't know what speed/delay issue might mean.

do you have a tappet plate delayer chip? if not worth installing one, it'll give the mag that little bit extra time to get a bb into the chamber before the nozzle closes.

5 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I've been chasing an accuracy issue for a while in a rifle with a G&G green fitted.  I might try a swap reading this comment.  It lifts .28s and .3 fine and seals well, but still worth a try.   It's been a frustrating issue!  

what kind of issue? might be the rubber, as above sometimes an otherwise decent part can be weird if it ain't quite the right one for the gun.

8 hours ago, Ragingrental said:

I've recently asked on other platforms and heard  from people that they have used maple leaf rubbers with the specna arms stock hop unit without issues. Although I do think they might be making things up or that they maybe aren't people that aren't very  trustworthy or someone to be taking advice from.

I've been using ML rubbers on my Specnas since I bought them, never had any issue (Macarons, Super Macarons and MRs).

Am I not trustworthy? :P

11 hours ago, Skara said:

Specna chambers are ZCIs.

Have you got a pic of one buddy, I've not come across this, they are blue and have slightly different moldings I've found.  I did however notice that the new hop chamber that are in E&C's look very much like the ones in Specna's.

10 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

Have you got a pic of one buddy, I've not come across this, they are blue and have slightly different moldings I've found.  I did however notice that the new hop chamber that are in E&C's look very much like the ones in Specna's.

I'm currently in queue to get my 5G shot, I'll take a picture as soon as I get home.

3 hours ago, Skara said:

I've been using ML rubbers on my Specnas since I bought them, never had any issue (Macarons, Super Macarons and MRs).

Am I not trustworthy? :P

The reason I say these people aren't trustworthy is because I asked on reddit and that can be a bit.... meh. It has a higher concentration of idiots than these smaller, secluded forums.

Alright so my longer lonex spring came and the overspin and gearbox locking up is greatly reduced. However when it does lock up the gate X ASR flashes red and green. On the troubleshooting card  it says that this shows the "Trigger wire is connected to the negative motor wire". Says to check connections or email gate.

All I have to say at this point is just... wat... 

I'm not asking for anyone to help me on this one (emailed gate) but jesus christ has this gun  been a huge pain in the neck.

So I took a drill and my old barrel and sanded down the bucking lips. Worked great with a nice smooth finish. Then I cleaned the barrel and bucking and proceeded to install it all in the gun. Chronoing at around 360 fps with around 1 or 2 FPS deviation at most. So now I probably need to just short stroke a tooth to get the gun within legal limits and I'll most likely be set. Not trusting it enough to NOT bring my backup gun though.  A definite success either way.

fps121.jpg

Edited by Ragingrental

On 03/07/2021 at 08:35, Adolf Hamster said:

what kind of issue? might be the rubber, as above sometimes an otherwise decent part can be weird if it ain't quite the right one for the gun.

Loose grouping.  The G&G green is a good rubber, but as suggested, may be the source of an irritating lack of accuracy.  

I'll see if the ML can work its magic.  

Thanks for info!

• Supporters
On 02/07/2021 at 21:31, Skara said:

Specna chambers are ZCIs.

They're close, but the 2021 Edge hop I've just bought has slightly different external greeblies to my 2018 ZCI plastic hop.  I'd say "closely related", although they could very well be from the same factory, and the dimensions and components are indistinguishable.  They both work well enough.

I'm also liking a Maple Leaf macaron with the Specna hop and rubber. It's a unusual rubber, Ω shaped but longer front-to-back, as opposed to a ML omega rubber which is side-to-side.  Does the job anyway.

2 minutes ago, Ragingrental said:

Anyone here able to offer some advice on short stroking? Trying it on my old gears right now with some needle files and it's infuriating. Only need to take 1 tooth to get around 340 fps.

It's easier with a dremel/angle grinder :P

With regular hand files, eh, just keep going.

Also, don't bother with lowering the tooth, just cut through it.

Edited by Skara

Yeah I really underestimated how hard airsoft gears are... I guess I just got to keep going. Luckily the gun will definitely be skirmish ready by sunday and should be shooting around 340fps. Probably will lower a bit more once the spring breaks in.

I picked up a replacement G&G one. No  quick change spring but i'll radius it and pray for the best. I can't add sorbo pads because the AOE is already virtually perfect. I know it isn't the best since G&G but ehhh I can pick up a stronger one later down the line when I pick up a gate warfet - just want to get out and play for now.

Edited by Ragingrental

It's really frustrating how airsoft guns are such fragile toys. I've had airguns that cost less than my airsoft gun that were made out of better materials and still work without a problem and have never had a single part break. Ffs how hard can it be to make  the most fragile parts out of better material? Do they already not make money on airsoft guns the same as games consoles manufacturers almost lose money selling consoles?

Really considering picking up a retroarms gearbox soon. Seems like it'd last bloody ages. Might also pick up a different piston head in the hopes the AOE would be worse so that I could add a sorbo pad.

Edited by Ragingrental

If Airsoft guns were made with top notch materials the cheapest gun would be €500+

Especially now with the global shortage of raw materials.

Edited by Skara

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Ragingrental said:

Really considering picking up a retroarms gearbox soon. Seems like it'd last bloody ages.

it may well do that, but it could also open up alignment issues if it isn't a good fit for the receiver.

1 hour ago, Ragingrental said:

Might also pick up a different piston head in the hopes the AOE would be worse so that I could add a sorbo pad.

why do you want to add a sorbo pad? so far i've only ever seen one piston actually be broken in an airsoft gun and that was a g&g polymer head that had been hammered by a combination of terrible air seal compensated for by a stupid strong spring.

you don't want the piston impact to be too spongey, otherwise the aoe will change from when you set it on the workbench to when you have the spring in the gun.

4 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

it may well do that, but it could also open up alignment issues if it isn't a good fit for the receiver.

why do you want to add a sorbo pad? so far i've only ever seen one piston actually be broken in an airsoft gun and that was a g&g polymer head that had been hammered by a combination of terrible air seal compensated for by a stupid strong spring.

you don't want the piston impact to be too spongey, otherwise the aoe will change from when you set it on the workbench to when you have the spring in the gun.

The order for the G&G got cancelled by the retailer. I might just run the cracked gearbox with some amendments and be kind on the gun.  I wanted to add a sorbo pad to soften the impact and make the gearbox less likely to crack.

4 minutes ago, Ragingrental said:

The order for the G&G got cancelled by the retailer. I might just run the cracked gearbox with some amendments and be kind on the gun.  I wanted to add a sorbo pad to soften the impact and make the gearbox less likely to crack.

And turn a system that relies on repeatable action to be consistent into an inconsistent as fuck piece of junk?

Kay, go ahead :D

AOE isn't a real issue until you hit 30+ RPS, and it's done via TINY washers between the piston head and body anyway, not via a fucking huge rubber pad ;)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.