Tech Advice Needed - Overspin and Inconsistent, Low FPS

Ragingrental

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Ragingrental said:

Alright so I guess I'll be ordering a new piston O-ring and  nozzle off AK2M4 now.

make sure to get the length right, whilst you can cut/file down a nozzle to the right length unless you're using a decent lathe to do it you'll almost always end up with sealing issues (which defeats the purpose of the better nozzle)

How would I check if I am getting PME once I install a longer spring and SS a tooth or two? Is there a guide for that on this forum already?

Hopefully the gun will work just fine now although I might as well pick up a gate warfet some time in the near-ish future as it seems to be quite heavily recommended. But if I end up with a skirmishable gun that doesn't  have any PME issues and is consistent and can hop heavy BB's I'll be very happy. Still going to always bring my back up with a few spare mags just in case haha.

Edited by Ragingrental

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

isn't that just the thing with the specna's though, they started off pretty damn good then went downhill?

Yes....and also, no.

The One Series never stopped being good but the original Edge and Core series guns with the Orion gearbox were gash. People bitched about them but unlike most other manufacturers they listened and sorted their shit out. The Orion box still has some issues but they're nowhere near as bad as they once were. Of course in airsoft (even more so than normal life it seems), shit sticks so "all Specnas are shit".

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Ragingrental said:

How would I check if I am getting PME once I install a longer spring and SS a tooth or two? Is there a guide for that on this forum already?

if it's happening badly then it tends to be pretty obvious with a drop in fps in auto (right before the even more obvious symptom where the piston spits its teeth all over the inside of the box)

in the lighter cases it can be kinda hard to diagnose, tbh on 20rps at 1j i wouldn't have said you'd be getting it even with a full stroke cylinder.

51 minutes ago, Lozart said:

all Specnas are shit

I never said that.

On the contrary, I highly praise them for being good guns at affordable prices.

It's just that, as with all things, when you lower the price you need to cut corners somewhere and the compression is what Specna chose for their Core/Edge series.

Regarding PME, imagine your gun suddenly turning into a typewriter.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Skara said:

I never said that.

I never said that you did. I was referring to the "general consensus" of the great airsoft unwashed that believes every word they see on social media.

25 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

if it's happening badly then it tends to be pretty obvious with a drop in fps in auto (right before the even more obvious symptom where the piston spits its teeth all over the inside of the box)

in the lighter cases it can be kinda hard to diagnose, tbh on 20rps at 1j i wouldn't have said you'd be getting it even with a full stroke cylinder.

I guess I might as well  install a stronger spin to be safe. I'll chrono it on auto once I get the new spring, bucking and nozzle and see what it's like.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Ragingrental said:

I guess I might as well  install a stronger spin to be safe. I'll chrono it on auto once I get the new spring, bucking and nozzle and see what it's like.

if you get the air seal issues sorted out (a nice low shot-shot variation on the chrono) then a stronger spring wouldn't be a bad shout if you've got a bit of headroom before hitting the site limit.

you'll also need to do that if you're short-stroking.

Alright so assuming these parts fit the gun and that I don't get any more issues, I should finally have a gun that can hop heavier BB's and that  has quite snappy trigger response with no PME (at least that's what I gathered from this thread) and  less overspin. Seems pretty decent I guess haha. Got to play the waiting game now.

I'll probably install everything and chrono it on full auto before SS'ing to see if the  PME is still there. Then if I still end up with issues I can obviously short stroke a tooth or two and see how it is.

Edited by Ragingrental

How much does it protrude into the hop chamber?

(to check this, turn the gun upside down and look into the hop up feed tube, help yourself by shining a torch down the muzzle)

While you're at it, plug the battery and fire a couple of dry shots, does the nozzle retreat all the way? if you were to drop a bb into the hop chamber -after making sure you're not pointing at your cat or some expensive stuff- and press the trigger, does the nozzle load it into the hop?

Oddly enough, I only had bad experiences with G&G greens. Bad air seal, couldn't lift 0.25s, bad consistency (bbs were flying left and right, everywhere but where I was aiming at).

Edited by Skara

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, Ragingrental said:

The nozzle retreats all the way  and it loads the BB into the hop as well. No issues with that at all. The lips protrude maybe 1.5mm at most into the hop chamber.

1.5mm is too much, but i dont think a g&g is gonna be any shorter?

It's better done very carefully with the finest sandpaper you can find.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Ragingrental said:

Could I trim the lips? Say with small scissors or a razor blade?

you can try, but i'm afraid the odds of not resulting in a leak that defeats the purpose of changing are not good :(

• Supporters
Just now, Ragingrental said:

Is it possible that I have QC issues with the hop up chamber and could maybe replace that instead?

might not even be QC, might just be the specna cut for the barrels is slightly different to the cut for PDI barrels.

maybe worth chucking the original barrel back in see if that's the case.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Ragingrental said:

The same thing happens with the stock barrel. I can see the bucking lips protruding and it takes a lot of effort to push the BB through.

hmmm.

normally they do protrude a little, like ~0.5mm ish but you're saying it sounds like much more than that.

can't recall if i've mentioned it before but if not it's worth checking the mag/ammo, a weak mag or some ammo brands can cause the stack to bind up causing jams that a better brand of ammo/mag would solve.

that's mainly if you're using mid caps, hicaps tend to not be quite so susceptable as they're single stack and much shorter column.

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Ragingrental said:

The BB's get stuck in bucking lips. The gun works if I don't seat the barrel fully backwards so the lips don't protrude into the hop chamber.

hmm, whilst i'm normally hesitant to suggest messing with things like hop chambers if it's unneeded, but i can't help but wonder what a ZCI rotary would be doing in that position?

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

hmm, whilst i'm normally hesitant to suggest messing with things like hop chambers if it's unneeded, but i can't help but wonder what a ZCI rotary would be doing in that position?

The black, plastic one? If so I've heard about them and I don't think it'd be awful but it's a bit cheap haha. But I guess I may simply been a victim to marketing tricks. Either way, if you do mean the black plastic one then I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up as it's £8.

Specna chambers are ZCIs.

• Supporters
21 minutes ago, Skara said:

Specna chambers are ZCIs.

Ahh, well that answers that question then.

At the risk of going in circles is it intermittently feeding on any mode or is it happening (/happening worse) in auto?

Might be a speed/delay issue?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.