Taiwangun Shipping Disruption (Brexit Related Content)

Speedbird_666
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, colinjallen said:

Given that TG's UK prices change as the exchange rate fluctuates, I am not sure that they are skimming anything off.  If the item was put in his basket a while ago, there may have been enough fluctuation to account for the difference.

)

3 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

So can HMRC through Direct Recovery. The new rules came in a few years back just before I left the department. If you owed more than £1K in tax, and had over £5k stashed across your bank accounts, the money can be taken directly from the bank if you ignore HMRC trying to contact you.

Ignore this post maths suck atm...

Nope was right it is about €1:06 to the £ on TWG

Travellers cheques/cash €1:11 to £

PayPal €1:09 to £,

I don't remember the rate calculation being quite as low,

by comparison, on many previous orders,

But the prices/calculations might soon be due for review

Yup.  Ordered a couple of days ago.  Scheduled delivery is Thursday by UPS.  The parcel is in their distribution hub in Poland.

16 minutes ago, RebelScum said:

Yup.  Ordered a couple of days ago.  Scheduled delivery is Thursday by UPS.  The parcel is in their distribution hub in Poland.

Okies.  Can i ask how much the order is and let me know what the import is? 

5 hours ago, kasaran said:

Okies.  Can i ask how much the order is and let me know what the import is? 

Yes.  It was just under £200, so I'm interested to see how this goes.  I'll post an update later this week.

• Supporters
On 14/02/2021 at 00:26, RebelScum said:

Yes.  It was just under £200, so I'm interested to see how this goes.  I'll post an update later this week.

What was in the order? The duty will be different according to what they've put on the CN22 form!

If it's a gun then you're looking at 3.5% duty, plus 20% VAT (which is calculated on the item cost plus the shipping plus the duty), plus the UPS fee which will usually be around the £10-£13 mark. Probably looking at about £280 ish

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Lozart said:

What was in the order? The duty will be different according to what they've put on the CN22 form!

If it's a gun then you're looking at 3.5% duty, plus 20% VAT (which is calculated on the item cost plus the shipping plus the duty), plus the UPS fee which will usually be around the £10-£13 mark. Probably looking at about £280 ish

There's a free estimator here https://www.shippo.co.uk/faqs/what-duties-and-taxes-will-i-have-to-pay/ it doesn't include the carriers brokerage fees though so their estimate comes out at around £52 in duty and VAT.

Well UPS have charged me £32.11 in  brokerage fees on top of 'government charges'. Absolutely disgraceful. Was expecting the usual £12. The 'government charges' are not what I expected but it did say these are subject to change. The delivery has not yet left Poland so I wait to see what actually happens when it arrives.

James

Actually, looking at the invoice I have a horrible feeling that I have yet to be charged VAT and duty for the UK. In which case I have no ideas why there are these charges.

UPS fees.jpg

6 minutes ago, Piman said:

Well UPS have charged me £32.11 in  brokerage fees on top of 'government charges'. Absolutely disgraceful. Was expecting the usual £12. The 'government charges' are not what I expected but it did say these are subject to change. The delivery has not yet left Poland so I wait to see what actually happens when it arrives.

James

By the gods, hardly worth ordering from them anymore then! Oh jeez, what's this going to do to airsoft - especially for new players! 

12 minutes ago, RonLancs said:

what's this going to do to airsoft

Not a lot. UK Airsoft will be fine.

I would wager that most new players get their kit from UK vendors, especially those that live close to a bricks and mortar store/showroom.

It's the more experienced hands that will be hit hardest with this.

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Not a lot. UK Airsoft will be fine.

I would wager that most new players get their kit from UK vendors, especially those that live close to a bricks and mortar store/showroom.

It's the more experienced hands that will be hit hardest with this.

kind of agree with that, nothing like being able to hold the thing in your hands and get that "ooh shiny" vibe to pull you over that hill of spending a lot of money to start up a hobby.

i mean i'd been airsofting a good decade before i started buying gats online, up until that point it was impulse buys at the brick and mortar and secondhand.

2 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i mean i'd been airsofting a good decade before i started buying gats online, up until that point it was impulse buys at the brick and mortar and secondhand.

Indeed. I've been playing for 15 years now. My first ever overseas Airsoft order was placed only 12 months ago - funnily enough with TaiwanGun. The rest of my guns/gear were bought from UK suppliers anyway.

New players will get sucked into the sales pitch from shop staff - not realising that they can buy cheaper from elsewhere. Spend 20min in the Zero One* showroom on a Saturday morning and you'll see plenty of punters paying over the odds for their first shooter.

*Not dissing Z1. They have staff to pay, family to feed, Mercedes to buy etc, so if people are willing to pay their prices, then fair enough.

10 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

kind of agree with that, nothing like being able to hold the thing in your hands and get that "ooh shiny" vibe to pull you over that hill of spending a lot of money to start up a hobby.

I've never bought from a store it's always been online - I feel shaken by these new charges to the point where I can't validate paying that much for what is essentially shipping. I'm in a bit of a conundrum personally about carrying on (maybe this is because I'm as we all are starved of a game day) but yea I'm upset by this and dont fancy paying UK prices. 

I have spent more than I should on Airsoft and the significant majority of this has been in the UK. I have only really gone overseas when I can't get what I wanted in the UK (and that includes most of this order from Taiwangun). UK stock is very hit or miss and that is especially so right now where it seems many products are out of stock.

James

18 minutes ago, RonLancs said:

I've never bought from a store it's always been online - I feel shaken by these new charges to the point where I can't validate paying that much for what is essentially shipping. I'm in a bit of a conundrum personally about carrying on (maybe this is because I'm as we all are starved of a game day) but yea I'm upset by this and dont fancy paying UK prices. 

That's fair enough. But it seems the days of cheap guns from Poland have gone. I've been buying guns in the various sales over the last year from UK stores, there were many bargains to be had. Not TaiwanGun cheap, but still significantly better than normal UK retail.

14 minutes ago, Piman said:

I have spent more than I should on Airsoft and the significant majority of this has been in the UK. I have only really gone overseas when I can't get what I wanted in the UK (and that includes most of this order from Taiwangun). UK stock is very hit or miss and that is especially so right now where it seems many products are out of stock.

James

May I ask, how much was your order total? I'm trying to wrap my head around the 'Government Charges' bit and see if roughly correlates with Import Duty and VAT.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Piman said:

James

Actually, looking at the invoice I have a horrible feeling that I have yet to be charged VAT and duty for the UK. In which case I have no ideas why there are these charges.

UPS fees.jpg

No, the "government charges" are your VAT and Duty. Those brokerage charges are steep, but it's one of the things UPS are known for. The fact that they've shown an exchange rate calculation at the bottom of the invoice suggests that the PLZ to GBP rate has shafted you a bit too. What did you buy? That will affect the duty rate.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Piman said:

Well that's just it. For VAT and duty it seems low and given there is a line specifically for VAT that is zero worries me that that has yet to come. It was just under 800.

James

For some reason I thought you were the guy that was looking at a £200 order! Yeah, that looks too low.

I have a pdf of the invoice they sent to me and it is for the correct amount. As far as details from UPS the attachment above is all I am getting in relation to the charges.

Shortly after paying I have received an e-mail from UPS with the following statement.

" you have a shipment coming, and we have received your payment of import fees. No further action is required on your part."

I am not sure how much I believe that. The current tracking shows delivery is due this Thursday although the latest status is:

"Your parcel is delayed due to a Brexit related disruption. We are adjusting delivery plans as quickly as possible."

However  it has stated that several times during it's journey. I will update all once I receive it.

James

It depends on how strict they are on the definition of ‘brokerage’ on the form.

Brokerage could cover other elements of handling an import, either specialized services for large shipments or the handling fees we would normally expect.

https://www.ups.com/gb/en/shipping/zones-and-rates/additional.page

Ideally that’s all you’re going to end up paying.

£90 would be the VAT on a £450 purchase

Duty could be £0 depending on the item category

Carrier handling fees can vary and may be a percentage of the value when thresholds are crossed

£90 for just shy of 800 isnt horribly high? suspiciously low.  but if thats the case then my wishlist from TG isnt dead yet xD (mine would total around 400 to 500 before tax etc)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.