Laylax Going Full Ham on a Gearbox Shell?

Skara

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco

No clue if it's standard, but I really like all the annotations on the shell showing which parts are where. I'd imagine it's all common knowledge to experienced techs but must be useful if you lose a screw when putting the GB back together etc.

• Supporters

i'll be honest i dont think beyond a complete shake up of the internals of an aeg that there's anything inherently wrong with the basic split design.

quick change spring is absolutely a wonderful thing that should be mandatory, but i can't think of any advantage to that setup that couldn't be solved by simply making a standard design out of good materials and quality manufacturing.

for the kind of builds that box is aimed at, you're going to be spending hours getting everything perfect, or using parts that fit nicely from the get go, so saving time in the assembly process is kind of a moot point

that doesn't even solve the usual problem of getting the trigger and arl to sit nicely while lining up the gears with the other half.

I'm never gonna buy a €100+ gearbox shell, unless someone gifts it to me or I win the lottery and decide to build a €2000 gun.

With that out of the way, I like the external cable routing and the fact that the top part (where all the stress is absorbed) looks beefy as hell. The screw markings are a nice touch too. The lower gearbox panel is nice, although it does fuck all to solve the ARL and trigger bollox.

What puzzles me is the use of 6mm holes for the bushings. I get it's a TM spec box, but literally everyone is making 7/8/9mm boxes now.

18 minutes ago, Keldon said:

Your man from airsoftology has done a first look review. 

Airsoftology

3 hours ago, AK47frizzle said:

WOW NEVER DONE BEFORE AMAZING OMFGGGGGGGGG

This is why I made the thread.

Hmmmm, I almost got excited! Now if Laylax released a a completely kitted out gearbox with all the gubbins inside and optimised to run efficiently as possible with only needing to change the spring for power, they could have a winner on their hands! Subject to price of course. But then this leaves the fun of getting ones fingers dirty... Half glass full? 

9 hours ago, Skara said:

I'm never gonna buy a €100+ gearbox shell, unless someone gifts it to me or I win the lottery and decide to build a €2000 gun.

With that out of the way, I like the external cable routing and the fact that the top part (where all the stress is absorbed) looks beefy as hell. The screw markings are a nice touch too. The lower gearbox panel is nice, although it does fuck all to solve the ARL and trigger bollox.

What puzzles me is the use of 6mm holes for the bushings. I get it's a TM spec box, but literally everyone is making 7/8/9mm boxes now.

I know quite a few who have built £2K guns! And believe you me they don't use V2 or V3 gearboxes..... ;)

This gearbox shell won't make you a better player.. It may add a few efficiencies to your gun and that's about it... I do like the fact you have that external wiring so not having to worry about the pinion gear and the quick change spring ... of course that minor point  would not work for a recoil as such lol

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

Hmmmm, I almost got excited! Now if Laylax released a a completely kitted out gearbox with all the gubbins inside and optimised to run efficiently as possible with only needing to change the spring for power, they could have a winner on their hands! Subject to price of course. But then this leaves the fun of getting ones fingers dirty... Half glass full? 

you've pretty much described umbrella armouries.

of course whilst there are many common goals in gun builds there does come a point where you're inevitable having to strike a balance with what your particular objective is.

for example someone might want a high response dsg with maximum accuracy, sure you can do that but you'll end up limiting the barrel length of the gun and reliability in full auto.

but that would be counter to the goals of someone who wants an lsw type setup where response speed and rate of fire are traded for the ability to run a longer barrel and chug in auto all day.

equally a dmr player might not give a crap about speed or auto, but wants maximum air volume/barrel length and the ability to run higher energies.

as with all things engineering there's a compromise to be struck, and for this kind of high end it's inevitable you're going to want to tailor it to a very specific goal.

this of course is part of the power of the hpa systems, a single system that can be a short barreled bb hose or a long barreled sniper with little or no changing of the internal parts (well, the bits that do the same job as a gearbox that is)

28 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

I know quite a few who have built £2K guns! And believe you me they don't use V2 or V3 gearboxes..... ;)

imma place a bet on that being either systema, polarstar, daytona or mws?

29 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

This gearbox shell won't make you a better player.. It may add a few efficiencies to your gun and that's about it.

there is a very strong law of diminishing returns that's for sure, although granted having for example very good accuracy can open up opportunities you might not otherwise be able to capitalize on.

On 06/07/2020 at 18:27, AK47frizzle said:

Ye saw that on airsoftology video and he was like "WOW NEVER DONE BEFORE AMAZING OMFGGGGGGGGG".

Ye... nobody cares about it.

As quite rightly pointed out by my tech friend Ares actually did many of these so called innovations some years ago. 

However it is Ares, so the implementation was probably quite off!

If I owned an AEG that had a version two gearbox, I’d be all over it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.