When You Play What Actual Engagement Distances Are You Shooting at?

BigStew
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

when you play what actual engagement distances are you shooting at?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. when you play what actual engagement distances are you shooting at?

So there are always a lot of what gun should I get and what up grades should I do. The general answer is what ever you like the look of and do nothing. This got me thinking 1st of all most Airsofter can't judge distance and how often do actually engage people at your max range. The furthest shooting gun I ever owned was a stock CYMA M14  I could hit a person size target at 70ish meters. but even at out door events engagement distances for me were 30/40 metres. Do we actually actually need to keep pushing for range? 

• Supporters

1j limit, so probably shorter than most folks.

But i do actively engage at the edge of my limit, in fact its my de-facto playstyle to pretty much run as a dmr.

That's not to say i dont get closer, just generally if i have the choice in the matter i'll be as far off as possible.

Never properly measured it in metres so i'm conservatively saying 30-50.

I recon 10-40m and around 25m being the most common.

At 25m you can dodge BBs if you're having a firefight with someone from behind cover so that's fun.

Most deaths and kills are unexpected attacks.

Close to medium range is no problem for most gats but as most of us want to shoot enemies as far as we can spot them at 60m+ it gets frustrating pointing the gun at 45 degrees to try and get em 😆

I run a heavily upgraded AEG with an r-hop and near perfect airseal running at just over 1.1j with .28s. I can and have made shots out to around 70m but most of my engagements take place between 30m and 60m. It is always super satisfying watching someone's shots fall short, waving at them then shooting them 

8 hours ago, BigStew said:

Do we actually actually need to keep pushing for range? 

I also run heavily upgraded AEGs, I like dynamic play, and getting stuck in too much to run about with a DMR or BASR.

That said I particularly enjoy 1-2 shot one kill wherever possible, to keep from giving my position away.

This means my normal engagement is 30-50M.

But I want to be able to accurately take on distanced fortified or well covered defended positions, so I can keep moving forwards / not get pinned down.

So yes pushing for EFFECTIVE range is a must, if I can hit a chest at 65M I know that I'll have a very high 1st hit probability at my normal engagement range of 30-50M

Arcing a BB out 70M ain't my bag.

I learned to play in a CQB environment, so even when I play woodland I like to get as close as possible. I tend to be in the hedgerow mazes, villages or creeping up on snipers. So distance for me as a player with some experience is not super important.

When I first started out with a Combat Machine I felt out ranged all the time and was the noob on here asking about getting more range from it. But playstyle wins over range each time.

But to answer your question my average engagement distance depends on how close they are ;)  

Chose 10-30.

My field doesn't really allow longer ranges than 30 metres apart from a couple of places, for those cases I have the mk23 (or g17, that thing now has incredible range).

Same when I'm sniping, I can float heavy balls up to 60m ish but for the most part I'm shooting at guys between 10 to 30/40 metres.

I went 50-70.

I play on mostly fairly large woodland fields with some long(ish) sight lines and our little group are mostly DMR/Snipers so it suits us being just outside the typical engagement range of an AEG.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Davegolf said:

So yes pushing for EFFECTIVE range is a must, if I can hit a chest at 65M I know that I'll have a very high 1st hit probability at my normal engagement range of 30-50M

this is the key, doesn't matter how far it goes if it doesn't hit the target.

range/accuracy are very much subject to the law of diminishing returns, you can get "good enough" relatively easily but after that every inch of dispersion becomes exponentially more expensive to eliminate.

5 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

range/accuracy are very much subject to the law of diminishing returns, you can get "good enough" relatively easily but after that every inch of dispersion becomes exponentially more expensive to eliminate.

Not if you buy a SSG.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

once had a duel with a guy running an ssg.

my 0.75j jg aksu won

Of course you're going to hit a guy running with an ssg.

Its when they're shooting back you have to worry

😆

Sorry had to do it.  But yeah,  that is one of the quirks of airsoft that the shape and size of the gun doesn't always correlate with its effectiveness.

• Supporters
59 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Its when they're shooting back you have to worry

not in this case, he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and i had volume on my side :P

24 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Going by the poll so far all anyone needs is a Glock 18! 🤪

EDIT i think a 416C would be perfect actually 😎

That would be an interesting game day

A mk23 is all you need ;) and covers almost all the poll options :P

Range you engage people at vs the range you want to get from your gun is chicken and egg. I'd deffo engage people at greater ranges if my AEG(s) were capable of doing it! As it happens they're not so, so getting close + generous arcing and hoping for the best is the order of the day.

3 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

this is the key, doesn't matter how far it goes if it doesn't hit the target.

volume of fire more then compensates for a decrease of accuracy at range i reckon, not to mention the benefits of covering fire or whatever. Agreed with the second point though. 

• Supporters
33 minutes ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

volume of fire more then compensates for a decrease of accuracy at range i reckon, not to mention the benefits of covering fire or whatever. Agreed with the second point though. 

i'd rather have the accuracy, you can always make your own beaten zone.

i do find having good effective range is a boon, especially if you're able to reliably hit smaller targets (which any half decent player is going to give you as little as they can to shoot at)

not to mention that if you can effectively engage at further distances you don't need to be quite as good at ducking/weaving/sprinting/hiding to still be useful to the team.

it's each to their own i suppose, people with my play-style rely on those who get up close and personal to keep the enemy far away and well distracted.

1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i'd rather have the accuracy, you can always make your own beaten zone.

I suppose my point is that the two are not mutually exclusive and I'd be happy to extend my maximum range, even if my effective range remained the same. thats all from me! 

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

I suppose my point is that the two are not mutually exclusive and I'd be happy to extend my maximum range, even if my effective range remained the same. thats all from me! 

ahh yes i see where you're coming from now.

my response would simply be why not have both :P

Archived